XPM Leaked

Ahhh...

XPM is just a virtual machine ? I thought they integrate it or something like that !

huh, just a VM ! so, whats the big deal ? :o

Ahhh...

XPM is just a virtual machine ? I thought they integrate it or something like that !

You can integrate after you install.

integrate.png

xpmds.png

I think the big deal is more in that they can clean W7 code and get rid of all legacy support bubblegum there is, which second best thing after coding everything from scratch (which will never happen).

it's not a BIG deal but it sounds like you guys don't know you can use XP apps alongside with windows 7 apps on the host OS in the same desktop?

it's not a BIG deal but it sounds like you guys don't know you can use XP apps alongside with windows 7 apps on the host OS in the same desktop?

thats a feature that other VM apps already have.

No. Read more about XPM please.

Refer to this screenshot:

virtualxp.jpg

yay, if it works like shown in the pic! that will be "Impressive" :D

djlegion, does it work like that in your machine ?

VMWare and VirtualBox already have integrated mode. How is this different than those implementations? (honest question...)

I don't know about VMWare but VirtualBox "Seamless mode" puts the guest OS taskbar on top of the host OS taskbar. XPM integrates the start menu items of guest OS directly in the start menu of host OS. Like MED-V does. Guest OS applications can also participate in file type associations in the host OS. So when a file type is double clicked, it will launch the VM (if it ain't running) and then launch the app.

yay, if it works like shown in the pic! that will be "Impressive" :D

djlegion, does it work like that in your machine ?

thats how it works mate, you can even pin something like IE 6/7 to the task bar. this is really big for company's running old software that will only work in xp that they need to use

Ahhh...

It's in a neat and easy(ish) to use package, and comes with a "free" fully licensed copy of Windows XP SP3. In other words, it's all in the package and you don't have to pirate or dig out an old XP disc.

I think the big deal is more in that they can clean W7 code and get rid of all legacy support bubblegum there is, which second best thing after coding everything from scratch (which will never happen).

Well, Windows 7 is already completed and there is no room for making major architectural changes now. Not just that, but there is no clear distinction between what is "legacy" and what is "Windows 7." It's all intertwined, and the most modern Windows 7 software still uses the same things Windows XP (and Windows 95) software used (some even use functions that were really only intended to be used in a transitional period when software was ported from 16-bit to 32-bit). In other words you can't start ripping things out without also breaking modern software.

No, these virtualization solutions are designed only for cases where you have absolutely no other options because your old software won't run in Windows 7 despite the extensive compatibility measures, and you can't get a newer version or switch to a different product. It's a last measure.

5 mins of looking and i found the patch, once its installed and updated it asks if you want to download the image once the software is loaded.

Good heads up DJlegion

Is there any way to install XPM on a CPU which does not support hardware virtualization. Will the setup continue with reduced functionality or it will simply stop?