Living with Penguins - Day 4

I posted in another thread recently - talking about the lack of polish on linux -- then after reading some posts that were touting the benefits of linux - I decided to try it again.

A few days ago I installed Xubuntu on my laptop and on my desktop (both as a dual boot with XP)

On my desktop which has XP64, I installed the Xubuntu 64-bit.

It seams like a lot of software pkg like flash, shockwave, etc - dont have an option for 64-bit linux

Anyone know of a site ? Or should I re-install with the 32-bit version ?

My lappy has 4 Gigs of RAM and a C2D processor

and my desktop has 8 Gb RAm and a C2Q

Hence the reason for a 64-bit OS

Thanks

So far, I am really liking Xubuntu - its starting to grow on me - but I am still a complete n00b, but a n00b with open eyes nonetheless.

Try opening up Synaptic and do a search for 'flash.'

thanks James - just what I was looking for

;)

No problem :) Took me ages to find that the first time I tried :p hehe.

I thought I did that - but then went to a site that needed flash and it said I didnt have the right crap to view it.. (think it was a video in the news @ yahoo....I think)

I'll run Synaptics again

Also, someone told me the greatness of sudo get-apt, my question is when do I use it and what is the last part of that terminal command ?

I know it is for installing something - but lets say the file is something_like_this_kde_whatever_tar like so many files are - do I need to type

"sudo get-apt something_like_this_kde_whatever_tar " ?

Thanks

sudo apt-get 'package name'

So if Pidgin was in your sources you would type:

sudo apt-get pidgin

sudo apt-get 'package name'

So if Pidgin was in your sources you would type:

sudo apt-get pidgin

OK so what youre saying is I have to type the complete name of whatever it is.

Because the name of a couple of files was ridiculously long - I renamed them and tried to run apt-get and it didnt work....maybe because they werent the right "type" ?

wait a sec .. you said "in my sources" - what do you mean - I think Im missing a big part of this method

Oh, one extra thing to check for in Synaptic: check if 'Universe' and 'Multiverse' are enabled in your repositories. These add a lot of extra packages. Flash is probably in there.

Oh, one extra thing to check for in Synaptic: check if 'Universe' and 'Multiverse' are enabled in your repositories. These add a lot of extra packages. Flash is probably in there.

OK - I'll do that

multiverse ?? isnt that from that Jet Li Jason Statham movie "The One" ? weird

Synaptic is only a frontend for apt. Anything you find in synaptic, you can install through apt-get. You use it to grab packages from online repositories .

Installing stuff you downloaded yourself is a different matter. For .deb files, you can simply double-click and it should offer you an option to install. Or if you're more command-line inclined, use dpkg.

.tar.gz normally contain source files (that you need to compile yourself), or binary (compiled) programs that don't interact with dpkg. They either come with installation scripts, or simply don't need to be installed, just extracted. Try finding a README within to find out what you need to do with it.

This is the long version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool

In short,

sudo (superuser-do) apt-get (debian package manager) <command> <package>

In most cases, when you are looking to install something, in terminal you type

sudo apt-get install &lt;package&gt;

So if you want to install "Netbeans", you substitute <package> for "netbeans", or eclipse or any other package you might need. The only complication is that package names aren't always straightforward. Say you want to install JRE. Just google installing jre on ubuntu and it should give you something like:

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

Apart from installation you can use it to remove packages, update your system through commands such as <update>, <upgrade>.ber

There is a number of articles on complete APT commands and uses, what I know is very basic.

As far as shockwave, there is no linux version (32 or 64 bit). Not sure about anything else though.

I have had no need for shockwave.

But I have heard that if you run the Windows version of Firefox through wine, you can get shockwave.

It is one of those "Windows only" technologies, but I can honestly say I have never needed it. I'm not even sure where to find a shockwave site. :ermm:

This is the long version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool

In short,

sudo (superuser-do) apt-get (debian package manager) <command> <package>

In most cases, when you are looking to install something, in terminal you type

sudo apt-get install &lt;package&gt;

So if you want to install "Netbeans", you substitute <package> for "netbeans", or eclipse or any other package you might need. The only complication is that package names aren't always straightforward. Say you want to install JRE. Just google installing jre on ubuntu and it should give you something like:

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

Apart from installation you can use it to remove packages, update your system through commands such as <update>, <upgrade>.ber

There is a number of articles on complete APT commands and uses, what I know is very basic.

Thanks man - that was a very helpful post -- I pretty much assumed correctly - just wasnt sure about the "why" of it all - that always helps me know exactly whats going on...to know WHY it does or doesnt do a certain thing.

Thanks - I'll check that out.

Still no love on the audio drivers --

there is a driver on creative's website - but I havent had the patience to read it thru...guess Im looking for the PhD version - "Push Here Dummy"

To be honest I didn't bother with Creative drivers either. My speakers didn't work, so I weighed the time between getting drivers to work and connecting spekers to the motherboard audio ports. Guess which prevailed. ;)

Hm, I must have a psychological problem. I read that as 'for the newly irritated', yet I'm a happy Ubuntu user :p

:rofl:

To be honest I didn't bother with Creative drivers either. My speakers didn't work, so I weighed the time between getting drivers to work and connecting spekers to the motherboard audio ports. Guess which prevailed. ;)

Ya know - I never thought of that - it would be alot easier to simply go into the BIOS and enable it when Im gonna be /root :D does that make me look cooler ?

But part of me wants to complete the task - its like some kind of personal goal or something - and doing a workaround is like admitting defeat - dumb huh ?

But I have heard that if you run the Windows version of Firefox through wine, you can get shockwave.

It is one of those "Windows only" technologies, but I can honestly say I have never needed it. I'm not even sure where to find a shockwave site. :ermm:

Yes, you can install IE under wine and then install shockwave on that. It's kind of a hack way of doing it, and you get massive slowdown.

There's not many shockwave applications anymore, that's probably the reason it's never been ported to linux, so it's not really worth it. I'm just saying, don't bother wasting your time trying to find a version of shockwave for linux, because one does not exist.

Is anyone else having this problem with apt (or synaptic): Being addicted to it?

Seriously, do I really need cowsay? I've ended up trying way too many apps.

:)

Yes, you can install IE under wine and then install shockwave on that. It's kind of a hack way of doing it, and you get massive slowdown.

I've never needed shockwave on linux, as I've yet to find a web that requires it, but back when I used to play Dofus (a flash based MMORPG) and flash on linux sucked big time (stuck at version 7 while windows had 9, iirc) I installed the windows version of firefox with wine, along with the latest flash plugin, and it worked great.

Shockwave has been largely superseded by Flash, not many websites use it now.