Zoom Lens for Nikon D40

So all last summer I got to mess around with a Nikon D40, and I'll get to mess around with one this summer. However I would like to buy my own before the end of the year as a Bday gift to myself.

I know it comes with a stock lens, but I have been wondering is there any decent zoom lenses out there that are cheap and work with the D40? Sorry I know nothing about lenses, I don't need some super zoom lens, just a decent on. Hopefully no more then say maybe $250?

If you buy it from Ritz Camera/Wolf you can buy a 55-200 mm lens for $100 a time of purchase. It's a $200 lens.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1160.htm link for combo

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54153523...enses-for-nikon link for seperate lens

I see your from PA so there has to be a Ritz/Wolf near you somewhere. I bought mine at the Christiana Mall in Delaware.

If you buy it from Ritz Camera/Wolf you can buy a 55-200 mm lens for $100 a time of purchase. It's a $200 lens.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1160.htm link for combo

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54153523...enses-for-nikon link for seperate lens

I see your from PA so there has to be a Ritz/Wolf near you somewhere. I bought mine at the Christiana Mall in Delaware.

So from the first link, if I get it there, it get it with two lenses instead of one?

That sucks that it ends May 2nd though!

Is that a pretty good lens then?

You get 2 lenses for $550. I think that deal never ends. My sister bought a D40x a year ago and I bought my D40 2 weeks ago and we both got the same deal.

You get 2 lenses for $550. I think that deal never ends. My sister bought a D40x a year ago and I bought my D40 2 weeks ago and we both got the same deal.

Ahh ok then. It confused me because it says "Super Saver deal ends May 2nd".

I didn't want to make a new topic.

However, I know with the D40 it has a 30 second shutter time. If I want to take really long night shots (enough time for star trails), is there a way to get it beyond 30seconds?

put it to manual mode. then scroll passed 30 seconds. It'll say "bulb." It'll go as long as you want. You push the shutter once to turn it on. Once more to turn it off.

put it to manual mode. then scroll passed 30 seconds. It'll say "bulb." It'll go as long as you want. You push the shutter once to turn it on. Once more to turn it off.

Nice! I never knew that! I so wish I could buy this now, Although laptop has to come first.

Edit: I found on a website, it says to use "bulb" mode it requires some remote, is that true?

Edited by Dane

Bulb is most useful with the ML-L3 remote. It's about $13. When you use bulb without the remote, you have to physically hold down the shutter release on the camera (this is how it works on my D200 & D50 at least). With the remote, you press the remote once to open the shutter, and once more to close it.

Bulb is most useful with the ML-L3 remote. It's about $13. When you use bulb without the remote, you have to physically hold down the shutter release on the camera (this is how it works on my D200 & D50 at least). With the remote, you press the remote once to open the shutter, and once more to close it.

Ahh ok cool. Being there holding the button down without the remote would kind of suck after awhile lol.

Ahh ok cool. Being there holding the button down without the remote would kind of suck after awhile lol.

I've been doing that. The camera store is too far away from me, so maybe next weekend I'll head over. It sucks. 1.5 minutes ain't bad, but doing several shots? Blaaaaaah.

I've been doing that. The camera store is too far away from me, so maybe next weekend I'll head over. It sucks. 1.5 minutes ain't bad, but doing several shots? Blaaaaaah.

Yeah true.

Actually Sigma as two versions of that lens, with and without the zoom motor. Webshops tend not to distinguis between them.

The version with the built-in focus motor will be marked "HSM" which is Sigmas version of Nikons AF-S. HSM also has full-time manual override.

The version with the built-in focus motor will be marked "HSM" which is Sigmas version of Nikons AF-S. HSM also has full-time manual override.

yea, it's supposed to be, but as I said webshops like to not do it

• 2 weeks later...

Arg, the sale ended. It's now $599.

I have to wait another two months anyways since I am getting a computer first. Maybe by then they'll have another deal going on.