dfrgntfs.exe freezes with 100% CPU usage

I'm having an issue with the Windows Defragmenter process freezing after about 5 minutes and using 100% CPU usage. Any attempts to kill the process fail. I can't log off or reboot, and the only way to get rid of it is to hard-reset the PC.

I've done some research, and I'm not the only one with this problem. However, I've been unable to find the reason why it does this, nor find a fix. I did find a fix from Microsoft, but it didn't fix my problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960816

I found other fixes for the same problem, but they were for XP or Server 2003 and not Vista.

One website mentioned it could be a hardware problem. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was related to some Intel motherboards and AHCI.

I was thinking of installing Windows 7 to see if the same problem occurs.

I like that Windows defragmenter ignores large fragments larger than 64mb. I've been through so many other defragmenters, and none of them do this. I have a lot of large files on my drive, so a 3rd party defragger isn't the best option for me.

Run chkdsk /f C: (etc. with your other drive letters too) if you haven't done so already - you are a knowledgeable person but no harm in mentioning the obvious.

See if Disk Defragmenter is conflicting with any running processes by running it without any background applications. If that doesn't work, reboot into safe mode and then try again.

If all else fails, try Defraggler (made by Piriform, makers of CCleaner) - I have not used it myself but it's unlikely to be bad considering Piriform's reputation.

The correct checkdisk command is: chkdsk c: /r.

Also, I'd suggest downloading the trial version of Perfect Disk. I think you'll find it does everything you want and it should work find. Alternatively, try the trial of Diskeeper. That's the full version of what Microsoft uses as their internal defrag utility (or at least it was with XP and I believe it still is).

The correct checkdisk command is: chkdsk c: /r.

Also, I'd suggest downloading the trial version of Perfect Disk. I think you'll find it does everything you want and it should work find. Alternatively, try the trial of Diskeeper. That's the full version of what Microsoft uses as their internal defrag utility (or at least it was with XP and I believe it still is).

You think he has bad sectors? I do not know how disk defragmenter handles bad sectors. I would suggest running with the /f option first before progressing to /r because checking for bad sectors will take a quite a long time.

In my opinion there is no point in running checkdisk if you don't do a thorough check - including the hd itself. So it takes a little longer to complete - at least it's a comprehensive check and repair.

Chkdsk found no problems.

Rebooted into safe mode, still freezes.

I collected some information about the process after it froze:

post-57213-1241543270.png

post-57213-1241543280_thumb.png

post-57213-1241543285.png

post-57213-1241543299.png

post-57213-1241543307.png

post-57213-1241543315.png

Just to show that nothing will kill the process:

post-57213-1241543321.png

If you're curious, the program is Process Hacker http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/

This is quite intriguing. I am still inclined to believe that there is a problem with the HDD because that would be the most likely reason why Windows would become completely unresponsive. Like it is waiting for some I/O to complete. (You can notice this if you have an external hard-disk which has spun down and you try to access it - Windows Explorer will remain unresponsive till the disk has spun up)

I am assuming that your HDD is S.M.A.R.T enabled. You can use speedfan's S.M.A.R.T analysis tool to generate an online report of your HDD's status. Like this one (one of my Western Digital laptop HDD): http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.p...cation=DCE36509

Have you ever tried letting Disk Defragmenter continue in it's 100% usage state for a longer duration to see if it will complete whatever it's trying to do? When you see the 100% usage, what is the status of the HDD indicator light?

Just ran the defragmenter, dfrgntfs.exe didn't freeze this time. :blink:

I ran Process Monitor while defragmenting, but it doesn't record much. Defragmenting uses a different Windows API and Process Monitor doesn't record those events.

SpeedFan results:

http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.p...cation=B0F0C5CA

Yesterday, I tried a couple of other things which didn't work.

I tried installing the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Still froze.

Tried disabling AHCI in the BIOS. Still froze.

I'm not ready to say the problem is gone yet. I might have just gotten lucky this time that the process didn't freeze. I re-enabled the schedule and I'll post here if it freezes again.

Just ran the defragmenter, dfrgntfs.exe didn't freeze this time. :blink:

SpeedFan results:

http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowreport.p...cation=B0F0C5CA

Let's hope the problem fixed itself. Your HDD looks like it's in fairly good shape.

Is it possible it's just moving a huge file? My Vista defrag bogs down when it's working on my Steam folder.

That would be a possibility if Vista's defrag didn't work with fragments smaller than 64MB by default. And how do you know what folder/file Vista's defrag app is working on at any given instant?