Experimental Linux Desktop--DEVELOPERS WANTED

I coordinate a small team working on a promising linux distro called akuminlinux ("ACK-you-min"). Our concept is to build a desktop from the aesthetics standpoint, which has never TRULY been done. Dreamlinux has came close, but they lack originality. Our interface has attracted a lot of attention, and while we have enough programmers to get the basic jobs done, we want to explore the subtle nuances of desktop interaction with some general usability tweaks. Things that can't be done with little preference tweaks. Here's a picture of our desktop:

Akuminlinux_Desktop_Mockup_by_FrozenTheaterD.png

An example of something we want to accomplish is for the user, upon installation, to be faced with a dialogue asking to enable the full desktop experience (ie enable the compiz settings, etc) without having to find their way into the preferences menu, which the average user wouldn't do out of intuition. We want to create a cohesive desktop on little improvements. As an interaction and graphic designer, my programming skills are somewhat limited, and my team is only so advanced. Our distro is a remaster of ubuntu 9.04. Tell me if you are interested. Our website is coming soon, as is our GTK, metacity, and emerald (pictured above). Our GDM and default wallpaper are offered through gnome-look.

Edited by FTD

I don't get it.

"Subtle nuances of desktop interaction"?

And has it ever occurred to you why user interfaces aren't designed purely from "the aesthetics standpoint?" Do you think it might be because they are user interfaces and designed for, well, user interfacing rather than being works of art one observes from a distance?

I can't even figure the screenshot out. Are those buttons on the left? Are you supposed to click them to launch stuff? What are they symbols supposed to mean? Why are there tabs at the top with a design that makes it look like they belong to the desktop itself and that you'd be switching the whole desktop by clicking them? What's with the emphasis on red? It reminds me of blood. Why is there a black line at the bottom of the dialog? How do I tell that the dialog is active? Why is there a black dot in the top left corner of the desktop?

Tell me why it's so great and why I should want to switch to it.

As for asking the user to enable the "full desktop experience," you shouldn't do that at all. You should enable it automatically once you've established that the hardware supports it.

Is that really a working desktop or is it just a mock up? I wish I could help but I lack the ability but i'll happily test that I can do and am sufficiently experienced to find what might be causing bugs I just can't fix them. That design looks great!

I don't get it.

"Subtle nuances of desktop interaction"?

And has it ever occurred to you why user interfaces aren't designed purely from "the aesthetics standpoint?" Do you think it might be because they are user interfaces and designed for, well, user interfacing rather than being works of art one observes from a distance?

I can't even figure the screenshot out. Are those buttons on the left? Are you supposed to click them to launch stuff? What are they symbols supposed to mean? Why are there tabs at the top with a design that makes it look like they belong to the desktop itself and that you'd be switching the whole desktop by clicking them? What's with the emphasis on red? It reminds me of blood. Why is there a black line at the bottom of the dialog? How do I tell that the dialog is active? Why is there a black dot in the top left corner of the desktop?

Tell me why it's so great and why I should want to switch to it.

As for asking the user to enable the "full desktop experience," you shouldn't do that at all. You should enable it automatically once you've established that the hardware supports it.

Oh please. Don't judge a desktop by a screenshot. That goes for anything. You should really look into more recent interface trends like GAIA, AMANA, Amora, etc.

The interaction is very fluid, the bar on the left divides the computer into four sections: apps, system, docs, and media.

By subtle nuances, I mean there's more to a desktop environment than just windows and a cursor. For example, in mac OS X leopard, scrolling the mouse scrolls through whichever window the mouse is currently over, regardless of whether or not it is active or not. This is a very intuitive feature. We're looking to add little tweaks like that.

You would want to switch to it because it IS ubuntu, it works with all updates and repos, but it has been revamped with a better app suite, general usability tweaks, and a stunning and intuitive interface.

That black dot is the start here button. Its much more identifyable than a tiny orange blob for people who are new to ubuntu. Remember, its a consumer oriented distro.

Why is there so much room between the start button and the windows taskbar or whatever you want to call it? Looks a bit silly to me.

It looks nice, but there isn't enough labeling. Never make the user have to guess what something is.

Having them click on something to find out what it is, is a bad idea!

Why is there so much room between the start button and the windows taskbar or whatever you want to call it? Looks a bit silly to me.

ah, yes thats a mistake in the mockup. I should really replace the mockup with the actual screenshot, since they look about the same.

I think they're off to a great start and this could really help mainstream pc users make a transition to Linux.

A few small problems that appear to me is that the battery icon is really hard to see on my screen, and the black box in the top left of the small center window is rather large and seems to detract from it overall.

A problem that you need to remember is that while design and eye candy are nice, usability is still something that needs to remain a top priority. Having a beginning user guess as to what a menu or button does is not a good idea. A start-up guide that pops up and guides the user through the basics would be a good idea upon first install.

I think they're off to a great start and this could really help mainstream pc users make a transition to Linux.

A few small problems that appear to me is that the battery icon is really hard to see on my screen, and the black box in the top left of the small center window is rather large and seems to detract from it overall.

A problem that you need to remember is that while design and eye candy are nice, usability is still something that needs to remain a top priority. Having a beginning user guess as to what a menu or button does is not a good idea. A start-up guide that pops up and guides the user through the basics would be a good idea upon first install.

USABILITY CONTINUES TO REMAIN TOP PRIORITY.

But you gotta find a balance, right? :]

I think Yoda would say to you, "A bunch of little tweaks do not a linux distro make"

Never said it did. We've finished most of the hardcore dev and now we need the final touches! Thats where you guys come in!

I'd like to bring your attention to this quote:

?[Luke:] I can?t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.?

Looks nice. Exactly what skills are you after?

We're looking for anyone who can contribute to the project as always, even if other than what I've asked for here, but we're particularly interested in people who can tweak desktop interfaces and interaction effects. If you are interested in the project, tell me what you can do.

The font does not relly works in that taskbar and there are some decors that are useless. Why dont you try to build the asthetics from the minimalism point of view?

Oh please. Don't judge a desktop by a screenshot.

I'm only giving my opinion. Since the only information I have to go on is this one screenshot and your two paragraphs of text, I have to base my opinion on that.

The font does not relly works in that taskbar and there are some decors that are useless. Why dont you try to build the asthetics from the minimalism point of view?

Explain the useless decor. And this is pretty minimalist.

It looks nice, but there isn't enough labeling. Never make the user have to guess what something is.

Having them click on something to find out what it is, is a bad idea!

Its mostly mouseovers, the same way Mac OS uses them- for the dock and the window border.

I'm only giving my opinion. Since the only information I have to go on is this one screenshot and your two paragraphs of text, I have to base my opinion on that.

Dont formulate an opinion at all. That's like hating something until you learn enough to like it. And I don't hate the people I dont know, so the same logic applies.

Explain the useless decor. And this is pretty minimalist.

The decor in the left-top corner in the dialog box, the pseudo black status bar in the same dialog, the size of that trash bin...

Minimalism is not about just using plain or monochromatic colors. The minimalist theory states that it's anything stripped to its necessary essentials.

Dont formulate an opinion at all. That's like hating something until you learn enough to like it. And I don't hate the people I dont know, so the same logic applies.

So you post a screenshot and you expect us to just stare blankly and say nothing? Feedback is necessary even at early stages of any project. This distro is not for you, is for your public.

We're looking for anyone who can contribute to the project as always, even if other than what I've asked for here, but we're particularly interested in people who can tweak desktop interfaces and interaction effects. If you are interested in the project, tell me what you can do.

I've never really worked on a big project before, but you know what, I'd like to help. I'm pretty proficient in C if that's what this is coded in. Were's the source located so I can know if I'll be up to it?

The decor in the left-top corner in the dialog box, the pseudo black status bar in the same dialog, the size of that trash bin...

Minimalism is not about just using plain or monochromatic colors. The minimalist theory states that it's anything stripped to its necessary essentials.

So you post a screenshot and you expect us to just stare blankly and say nothing? Feedback is necessary even at early stages of any project. This distro is not for you, is for your public.

Yes, and the icons and GUI elements are very minimalist. I'll post a pic of the GTK. My point is that its very simple to request to see more, rather than make judgements with admittedly insufficient information.

The dialogue box decor follows the same psychology as the tab on an ordinary manila folder. It makes for exceptionally easier interaction. I think I've made the mistake of expecting an artistic critique on a tech site...my fault. I'm not a programmer.

This feedback is valuable, I just think its a tad insufficient. It's too bad people pass judgement instinctively here...

I think I've made the mistake of expecting an artistic critique on a tech site...my fault.

I studied plastic arts and currently Im cursing an arts masters.

We make judgments on what is available. You were the one who decided what we could see, so our lack of critic elements it is your fault.

I studied plastic arts and currently Im cursing an arts masters.

We make judgments on what is available. You were the one who decided what we could see, so our lack of critic elements it is your fault.

Reason still applies. I see your point and will be posting more pictures, I was just pointing out that theres a limit to how far you take your criticisms considering what's available.

If you want critiques on the aesthetic appeal of your work without concern for practicality and intuitiveness, then you should print it, frame it, and seek the opinion of someone who doesn't use computers and doesn't realize that your picture depicts a computer.

Anyone who knows that it depicts a computer will immediately form an opinion as to its aesthetics so far as it applies within the context of practicality and intuitiveness. If your design does not succeed in terms of practicality and intuitiveness, then your aesthetics will be relegated to the status of a pretty pointlessness.

That is assuming, however, that aesthetics, practicality, and intuitiveness can be conceptually separated when you're talking about graphical user interfaces, which is something I do not believe. If the work-flow doesn't flow, then it isn't aesthetically pleasing. If it isn't intuitive, then it isn't aesthetically pleasing.

I apologize if my response sounds harsh, but the truth is the truth, and your project will not succeed if it doesn't take this truth into account.

The dialogue box decor follows the same psychology as the tab on an ordinary manila folder. It makes for exceptionally easier interaction. I think I've made the mistake of expecting an artistic critique on a tech site...my fault. I'm not a programmer.

Are you on something?

The tabs on folders are not art, they have a practical purpose. Folders are physical objects, and the tabs are there to make it easier to flip through and identify them. How on earth does this translate to a dialog box? The answer is that it doesn't. What purpose does a black tab on a dialog box serve? I mean, it's not like you stack dialog boxes, and even if you did, how would a black tab in the corner help?

Also, you've fallen into the trap of thinking that objects designed for physical interaction translate to a computer display. In most cases they do not, and in fact just end up making software harder to use.

If you want critiques on the aesthetic appeal of your work without concern for practicality and intuitiveness, then you should print it, frame it, and seek the opinion of someone who doesn't use computers and doesn't realize that your picture depicts a computer.

Anyone who knows that it depicts a computer will immediately form an opinion as to its aesthetics so far as it applies within the context of practicality and intuitiveness. If your design does not succeed in terms of practicality and intuitiveness, then your aesthetics will be relegated to the status of a pretty pointlessness.

That is assuming, however, that aesthetics, practicality, and intuitiveness can be conceptually separated when you're talking about graphical user interfaces, which is something I do not believe. If the work-flow doesn't flow, then it isn't aesthetically pleasing. If it isn't intuitive, then it isn't aesthetically pleasing.

I apologize if my response sounds harsh, but the truth is the truth, and your project will not succeed if it doesn't take this truth into account.

nah you're probably right, I just expected something wildly different.

Having a beginning user guess as to what a menu or button does is not a good idea. A start-up guide that pops up and guides the user through the basics would be a good idea upon first install.

Do you really think so? The reality is that if you have to display a guide that explains what the various UI elements do, then you've already lost and need to go back to the drawing board. Computer interfaces stick to a small amount of well-known interface elements for a very good reason.