Experimental Linux Desktop--DEVELOPERS WANTED

Are you on something?

The tabs on folders are not art, they have a practical purpose. Folders are physical objects, and the tabs are there to make it easier to flip through and identify them. How on earth does this translate to a dialog box? The answer is that it doesn't. What purpose does a black tab on a dialog box serve? I mean, it's not like you stack dialog boxes, and even if you did, how would a black tab in the corner help?

Also, you've fallen into the trap of thinking that objects designed for physical interaction translate to a computer display. In most cases they do not, and in fact just end up making software harder to use.

LOL. its about shape. the tab is a protrusion. thats the idea of accessibility. congrats on being ridiculously aggressive.

Also, you've fallen into the trap of thinking that objects designed for physical interaction translate to a computer display. In most cases they do not, and in fact just end up making software harder to use.

Ever heard of buttons, my friend?

Hmm. Aesthetically, I like it, but it'll be interesting to see how user-friendly it is. Will you be releasing an early version of it for testing?

While most desktop environments can be made to look asthetically appealing, I find most of them lack the true intuitiveness you all rant about. My guess is a truly intuitive desktop would know the users next action based on previous actions limiting the amount of physical interaction one has with the desktop. I hardly consider thumping through menus and using multiple keys for certain actions intuitive. But this is what we are used too and anything that makes this interaction easier or faster to us is deemed more intuitive. For desktops to be truly intuitive, one must accept change in which I don't see happening in the near future. If the world of linux or mac want's to ever dominate the market, they need to stop trying to imitate windows or better it and think outside the box and come up with revolutionary new way for users to interact with their PCs.

While most desktop environments can be made to look asthetically appealing, I find most of them lack the true intuitiveness you all rant about. My guess is a truly intuitive desktop would know the users next action based on previous actions limiting the amount of physical interaction one has with the desktop. I hardly consider thumping through menus and using multiple keys for certain actions intuitive. But this is what we are used too and anything that makes this interaction easier or faster to us is deemed more intuitive. For desktops to be truly intuitive, one must accept change in which I don't see happening in the near future. If the world of linux or mac want's to ever dominate the market, they need to stop trying to imitate windows or better it and think outside the box and come up with revolutionary new way for users to interact with their PCs.

You essentially just hit our design philosophy square on the head. Would you be interested in working with us?

Nicely said.

. . .

I like the "art", but I carry a mindset that any desktop is customizable by the user and ultimately they will do just that. Your going to design the desktop how YOU want it to look, but the end-users will wish to critique it based on their outlook.

LOL. its about shape. the tab is a protrusion. thats the idea of accessibility. congrats on being ridiculously aggressive.

The tab is a protrusion? Okay... And how does it make the dialog box easier to use and more intuitive? How is a dialog box anything like a folder at all? Is there anything inside it? Are there dozens of them on top of each other that I have to sort through?

When I first looked at your screenshot I didn't even make the connection to folders and tabs, because it makes no sense at all. I just see a dialog box with a black leaf sticking out of one corner and a thick black line at the bottom.

It's the same with your start button. How is a tiny black dot intuitive? How am I even supposed to know that it's a button and not just some random decoration?

The same goes for the boxes. Flat (head on) buttons are something that do translate well to a 2D display and that users understand. A 3D box on the other hand? Are you supposed to unpack it with your mouse? Or are they actually big button protruding from the black surface and seen at an angle? How does that make sense on a 2D surface?

Sometimes, my friend, it's better to realize your mistake and give up before you invest too much. User interface design is an entire field that is about so much more than just aesthetics. It's not just a side gig for artists.

The tab is a protrusion? Okay... And how does it make the dialog box easier to use and more intuitive? How is a dialog box anything like a folder at all? Is there anything inside it? Are there dozens of them on top of each other that I have to sort through?

When I first looked at your screenshot I didn't even make the connection to folders and tabs, because it makes no sense at all. I just see a dialog box with a black leaf sticking out of one corner and a thick black line at the bottom.

It's the same with your start button. How is a tiny black dot intuitive? How am I even supposed to know that it's a button and not just some random decoration?

The same goes for the boxes. Flat (head on) buttons are something that do translate well to a 2D display and that users understand. A 3D box on the other hand? Are you supposed to unpack it with your mouse? Or are they actually big button protruding from the black surface and seen at an angle? How does that make sense on a 2D surface?

Sometimes, my friend, it's better to realize your mistake and give up before you invest too much. User interface design is an entire field that is about so much more than just aesthetics. It's not just a side gig for artists.

Just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have with interaction design?

How about discussing the actual comments people make instead of just getting upset, telling them they're wrong just "because," and demanding to see their credentials?

Anyone should be able to participate, regardless of their credentials. In fact, I think it would be more interesting to hear from those with no experience in the field since you claim to be making an interface that is better and more intuitive for them!

The screenshot looks very nice, how easy it will be to code and how it will feel if coded remains however I would be interested in testing :D

How about discussing the actual comments people make instead of just getting upset, telling them they're wrong just "because," and demanding to see their credentials?

Anyone should be able to participate, regardless of their credentials. In fact, I think it would be more interesting to hear from those with no experience in the field since you claim to be making an interface that is better and more intuitive for them!

I never intended to call anyone wrong. I think I might have misspoke. Moving on.

Any questions in particular?

In light of the tension in this forum, most likely due to my own error, i'll be starting a new thread and providing more basis for critique.

I like the "art", but I carry a mindset that any desktop is customizable by the user and ultimately they will do just that. Your going to design the desktop how YOU want it to look, but the end-users will wish to critique it based on their outlook.

Naturally. This is just the default appearance.

I never intended to call anyone wrong.

But that is not true. You do ask for credential when you dont like a comment and when a member gives them to you, like hdood or I did either you get defensive or say nothing about the comment.

If you get so defensive with feedback that you dont like then you can open a thousand new threads and the result will be the same.

This looks like a poor attempt at a UI based on the 4impressions style, which might I add is far from user friendly for the average user very far.

This looks like a poor attempt at a UI based on the 4impressions style, which might I add is far from user friendly for the average user very far.

Reminds me of those 90's desktops that attempted to be futuristic.

But that is not true. You do ask for credential when you dont like a comment and when a member gives them to you, like hdood or I did either you get defensive or say nothing about the comment.

If you get so defensive with feedback that you dont like then you can open a thousand new threads and the result will be the same.

I'm realizing that I became too defensive, and the tone of this forum felt it. I'd like to try again.

I liked it at first, but after looking at it several times, some things stand out and are annoying.

A white message box is definitely no-no in my opinion. Besides not being too good on the eyes in those "dark" hours, it's not that pretty either. Then there's the black horizontal line, which is in my opinion too big. The tab look-a-like task switcher really does give the impression of it switching more than just regular applications. Perhaps the bottom part should be the same as the top, so it doesn't stand out too much.

Which 4impressions style? There's GAIA, AMANA, and SOMA. And while they are a source of inspiration, we have our differences. If you do want to see a red ripoff of 4impressions, try rosenrot.

Reminds me of those 90's desktops that attempted to be futuristic.

Were you refering to 4impressions or mine?

Minority report lol?

I like your style...it does have some similarities from 4imp but overall it looks cool. Maybe you should consider making another theme that one could switch too if they're not digging the first one...

Looks cool, in some way reminds me of Mirror's Edge a lot since the color scheme looks very alike!

Looks cool, in some way reminds me of Mirror's Edge a lot since the color scheme looks very alike!

Exactly what I thought!

when i first saw Mirror's Edge, I was so happy for that same reason!

Thank you!

I like your style...it does have some similarities from 4imp but overall it looks cool. Maybe you should consider making another theme that one could switch too if they're not digging the first one...

I'm working on that. For people who value space more, the metacity is much...slimmer.

I'm working on that. For people who value space more, the metacity is much...slimmer.