• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Broken Toshiba HD-A20

jerzdawg    338

Ok, so I have an "old" Toshiba HD-A20 HD-DVD player, I decided to break it out of the closet as thats where its sat for quite some time (ive been using my 360 addon for any movies ive watched). I got it all hooked up, I put in one of the Bourne movies and it refused to play, so I decided to check for a new firmware. Sure enough firmware 4.0 was released.. connected my ethernet and away we go. It downloaded the 40/40 file, went through steps 1-5... then it was stuck at step 5/5. I let the player sit for over three hours... still stuck at step 5. Finally decided to turn off the player... now when I turn it back on... I get the Welcome message on the player and there is no video output and the drive does not open when the button is pressed. The only thing that works is the power button to turn on, only way to turn off it to unplug or hold the power button in for 10 secs. My question is... anything I can do to fix this?... apparently is common enough on the web as ive found lots of posts but no solutions. I planned on just giving this to my dad to use as a upscaling dvd player and so he can watch the Planet Earth series... any insight would be appreciated... thanks...

edit - after a lil more googlin'... looks like this thing is going out with the trash tomorrow .. :(

"As far as I know, the ROM chip that holds the firmware info is the issue and needs to be replaced.

You would have to find out what the chip is (with some version of the firmware on it already) and replace it to fix the problem, but I have not heard of ANYONE being able to do this."

oh well... no wonder they lost the format war.. :laugh:

Edited by jerzdawg

goji    30
edit - after a lil more googlin'... looks like this thing is going out with the trash tomorrow .. :(

"As far as I know, the ROM chip that holds the firmware info is the issue and needs to be replaced.

You would have to find out what the chip is (with some version of the firmware on it already) and replace it to fix the problem, but I have not heard of ANYONE being able to do this."

oh well... no wonder they lost the format war.. :laugh:

Be a man, and bust out the sauteing iron. Nothing like a lil DIY!

jerzdawg    338
Did you try downloading the firmware and using a CD to do the update?

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-images/...ingfirmware.asp

yea... prob is the player does not respond when its powered on... no option to update the firmware...

Be a man, and bust out the sauteing iron. Nothing like a lil DIY!

not a problem... but where do I get the replacement rom chip?

Joel    27
yea... prob is the player does not respond when its powered on... no option to update the firmware...

It just runs directly from the CD you burn. There's no option involved. I guess it doesn't even get that far...?

goji    30

first consult the great think tanks google, after that I'd hit up some other Tech and AV forums that deal with the player. I'm confident that there is info out there, you're gonna have to research it.

jerzdawg    338
It just runs directly from the CD you burn. There's no option involved. I guess it doesn't even get that far...?

correct... i open up the case and it appears the only thing that happens when powered on it the fan on the back turns on.. thats about it...

first consult the great think tanks google, after that I'd hit up some other Tech and AV forums that deal with the player. I'm confident that there is info out there, you're gonna have to research it.

yea.. i searched around alot... most people had to send back to toshiba (not really an option anymore).. I'll try a few more things this weekend before tossing to the trash... thanks for your help guys

DaDude    46

Time to buy a PS3. :)

+StevoFC    21

I wouldn't toss it out. Look first if you can find another one broken online for really cheap. As long as there is something else wrong with it then you can fix one of them. lol

And, I would try burning the firmware to a disc and seeing what happens. You never know, it might boot from the disc. It's worth a shot.