AirPort Extreme: Connecting remotely without MobileMe

Hey,

I've had a quick hunt around the net, but haven't found anything.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remotely access disks attacked to an AirPort Extreme without using MobileMe? I know it's possible if you do have a MobileMe subscription, but I can't justify the cost just for this feature (especially considering how much the APE cost in the first place).

Cheers

Hey,

I've had a quick hunt around the net, but haven't found anything.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remotely access disks attacked to an AirPort Extreme without using MobileMe? I know it's possible if you do have a MobileMe subscription, but I can't justify the cost just for this feature (especially considering how much the APE cost in the first place).

Cheers

You sure can. Was using it for that exact method before the MobileMe integration. Follow these instructions

1. Start the Airport Utility.

2. Select your Time Capsule or AEBS. Make a note of the IP Address shown on the right -- you will need it later.

3. Click Manual Setup.

4. Check your "Connection Sharing" setting under the Internet Tab. The following tutorial is valid if your "Connection Sharing" is to "Share a public IP address", the normal setup for a home network. You will need to have a static IP address, or use a free dynamic DNS service. If you have a different type of "Connection Sharing," you probably don't need a tutorial to set up remote access to your disk; adapt this one as needed.

5. Click Disks (at the top of the dialog box), and then click File Sharing.

6. Select (check) the "Enable file sharing" checkbox and the "Share disks over Ethernet WAN port" checkbox. It is strongly recommended that you also set Secure Shared Disks to "With base station password" and Guest Access to "Not allowed"; not making these changes may allow unauthorized users to access your Time Capsule/AEBS hard drive.

7. Click Airport (at the top of the dialog box), and then click Base Station.

8. Enter a Base Station Password and verify it in the Verify Password box.

9. Click Advanced (at the top of the dialog box), and then click Port Mapping.

10. Click the plus sign (+) to add a new port mapping.

11. In the Public UDP Port(s) and Public TCP Port(s) boxes, type in a 4-digit port number (e.g., 5678) that you choose. In the Private IP Address box, type the internal IP address of your Time Capsule or AEBS that you wrote down in step 2 (for example, 192.168.0.1). In the Private UDP Port(s) and Private TCP Port(s) boxes, type 548. Click Continue.

12. In the Description box, type a descriptive name like "Time Capsule File Sharing" or "AEBS File Sharing". Then, click Done.

13. When you have made all changes, click Update.

To connect to the share remotely follow these instructions

1. In the Finder, click Go > Connect to Server.

2. Type in the correct domain name or external IP address for your network, plus a colon and the port number you specified in step 11. For example, "www.myhomedomain.com:5678" or "123.123.12.123:5678".

3. Click Connect.

4. You will be prompted for your user name and password. The user name can be anything you like; the password should be the password for the Time Capsule/AEBS which you specified above.

Click Connect.

My pleasure! If you change your mind about MobileMe let me know, I have a family pack and have 2 or 3 accounts open. Wouldn't mind at all giving you one. Same as the original, but you only get 5gbs of storage instead of 20.

I don't really mind either way with MobileMe.

I tried the trial, and while it was helpful, I didn't really feel that it would be money well spent (at the end of the day, I'd be paying for a service which essentially makes a bunch of little things I do a little bit easier/simpler). While I had it, I was impressed by how it worked, but just couldn't really justify it.

• 1 month later...
My pleasure! If you change your mind about MobileMe let me know, I have a family pack and have 2 or 3 accounts open. Wouldn't mind at all giving you one. Same as the original, but you only get 5gbs of storage instead of 20.

Hey if you still are willing to give one of these accounts away I would be very grateful I am in need of one.

Hey if you still are willing to give one of these accounts away I would be very grateful I am in need of one.

Sorry they are all taken - and please tell me you didn't just join to the forum to ask for a free account??

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for your post, it seems like its the only one out there offering a solution to accessing your USB drive without mobile me.

Anyway, I have having a bit of a problem. I have followed your guide exactly, but once I come to updating the airport extreme it contstantly come up with the error message ' the dhcp range you have entered conflicts with the wan ip address of your apple wireless device'.

I have no idea what to do from here and would appreciate any help =)

Also, what would your login username be once I eventually get to the stage of logging in??

Thank you

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this post from the dead but... I came across this in a google search and your instructions were great so first of all thank you very much for those! My problem is I have 3 External drives and a Printer connected to the Airport Extreme via a power usb hub... they all work great locally.. I can only get access to the drive I originally had plugged in. I would like to be able to remotely access all three and possibly even remotely print(though that is not important as I would rarely use it)... Thank you for your help!

You sure can. Was using it for that exact method before the MobileMe integration. Follow these instructions

1. Start the Airport Utility.

2. Select your Time Capsule or AEBS. Make a note of the IP Address shown on the right -- you will need it later.

3. Click Manual Setup.

4. Check your "Connection Sharing" setting under the Internet Tab. The following tutorial is valid if your "Connection Sharing" is to "Share a public IP address", the normal setup for a home network. You will need to have a static IP address, or use a free dynamic DNS service. If you have a different type of "Connection Sharing," you probably don't need a tutorial to set up remote access to your disk; adapt this one as needed.

5. Click Disks (at the top of the dialog box), and then click File Sharing.

6. Select (check) the "Enable file sharing" checkbox and the "Share disks over Ethernet WAN port" checkbox. It is strongly recommended that you also set Secure Shared Disks to "With base station password" and Guest Access to "Not allowed"; not making these changes may allow unauthorized users to access your Time Capsule/AEBS hard drive.

7. Click Airport (at the top of the dialog box), and then click Base Station.

8. Enter a Base Station Password and verify it in the Verify Password box.

9. Click Advanced (at the top of the dialog box), and then click Port Mapping.

10. Click the plus sign (+) to add a new port mapping.

11. In the Public UDP Port(s) and Public TCP Port(s) boxes, type in a 4-digit port number (e.g., 5678) that you choose. In the Private IP Address box, type the internal IP address of your Time Capsule or AEBS that you wrote down in step 2 (for example, 192.168.0.1). In the Private UDP Port(s) and Private TCP Port(s) boxes, type 548. Click Continue.

12. In the Description box, type a descriptive name like "Time Capsule File Sharing" or "AEBS File Sharing". Then, click Done.

13. When you have made all changes, click Update.

To connect to the share remotely follow these instructions

1. In the Finder, click Go > Connect to Server.

2. Type in the correct domain name or external IP address for your network, plus a colon and the port number you specified in step 11. For example, "www.myhomedomain.com:5678" or "123.123.12.123:5678".

3. Click Connect.

4. You will be prompted for your user name and password. The user name can be anything you like; the password should be the password for the Time Capsule/AEBS which you specified above.

Click Connect.