Maybe a definitive switch to linux as main os

well i was a loyal window user because of gaming and photoshop, but windows became unstable out of the blue, and had a lot of trouble installing windows again to find out photoshop was crashing and stuff while in ubuntu everything was working flawless, so i installed ubuntu 9.04 with ext4 and will try to find a way to use the graphic design software in ubuntu (wine or virtual box), if everything works alright then i will stay with ubuntu permanently. any opinions are welcomed, wish me luck.

i have linux on my laptop from quite a time already, and i didnt corrupt my windows installation, i was using windows 7 build 7000 pretty good and when tried to fresh install 7100 problems started to appear. i tried to go to ubuntu before but gaming took me back to windows, nowadays i dont play much, just live for speed and im pretty sure it works on linux somehow.

btw i find it easier to use the terminal to install stuff than in windows.

i have q6600 2.4ghz 6gb DDR2 9800GT, im talking from ubuntu now, downloading the 64x version because i though i had it but i didnt.

leoj15, I don't mean to derail your thread but your avatar and signature files are flipping huge. People shouldn't be forced to waste nearly half a megabyte of bandwidth just to see your 80x68 pixel avatar and 412x150 pixel signature. Learn to optimize.

I just opened them in Photoshop and combined, they can be exported at just over 100KB in that same PNG format, less than 50KB in GIF format (with absolutely no dithering artifacts, since they are nothing but blue), and less than 25KB "on the "High" preset JPEG format.

Best of luck with the switch.

Your reasoning sounds exactly like mine, only I have been using Vista at the time and nvlddmkm was driving me crazy

well i was a loyal window user because of gaming and photoshop, but windows became unstable out of the blue, and had a lot of trouble installing windows again to find out photoshop was crashing and stuff while in ubuntu everything was working flawless, so i installed ubuntu 9.04 with ext4 and will try to find a way to use the graphic design software in ubuntu (wine or virtual box), if everything works alright then i will stay with ubuntu permanently. any opinions are welcomed, wish me luck.

Blender- it is in synaptic-for graphic design.

http://www.blender.org/

7ed6004d60.jpg

Cosmic Girl

Jiro Sugiyama

Blender Render

I honestly do not see linux working for you though. You were some how able to corrupt windows, and linux requires more tweaking/ manual command inputting, and other methods that seem much more complicated than anything you could have possible done on your windows, so i dunno

While I agree that one can completely muck up a Linux box or a Windows box with similar disastrous results, I disagree with your assertion that Linux in general is "much more complicated". Once it is set up, it is literally effortless and stable. If I had more work using Linux than I did with Windows, I wouldn't have been using exclusively Linux for the past 6 years. ;)
ok i will fix that after i download unbuntu x64 and get photoshop working.

I know you are focused on Photoshop, but might I seriously recommend GIMP? It will work without having to configure and tweak to work in wine.

And even with Crossover, Photoshop seems to be hit-or-miss.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/b...name/?letter=p;

Which leaves you in a virtual machine or dual-boot situation, if you require photoshop.

My friend uses XP through VirtualBox, his laptop has only 512 MB RAM, and it works just fine. I'd suggest more RAM of course if you plan on using Photoshop.

I use it through Wine (CS2 version), works pretty good. But I find myself using GIMP more and more these days, especially because I don't need serious graphic editing. I suggest trying it. Just like Linux itself, at first you'll be a little bit confused because things aren't exactly where you expect them to be, but it gets the job done just fine.

I'm an Avid PS user and while Some people have been able to get GIMP To do amazing graphics I never felt comfortable working with it . I recently found out about Pixlr , I use the firefox add-on and although you might take this lightly I say that its probably the best online image editor out there .... Very fast to load and has a very simmilar Photoshop UI and the best of all is its web based so no installation required , I seriously suggest you google Pixlr or look for it in the mozilla add-ons page

To produce graphical content in Linux:

3d: Blender (it is the best, as an old 3DSmax user, I can say that I prefer blender over it, the keyboard key are better)

Vector: Inkscape (it is really simple to use and powerful enough for pro, even if it is not Illustrator yet)

Bitmap: The GIMP (most advanced, but I truly hate its user interface), Krita (2.0-rc1) (less powerful, but PS user feel at home)

Image correction: Digikam

i may go for the virtual machine option, because i use a lots of fonts and stuff, downloading blender

i just installed the new ubuntu today and while i really like it so far, 7 will be my main system. nothing can beat it IMO so far!

wow webcam,printer,digital camera worked without any kind of problems. the switch is going perfect till now

the x64 version of ubuntu is giving me some kind of problems vs the 32 bit,some programs stop responding once in a while

ok i will fix that after i download unbuntu x64 and get photoshop working.

any news on photoshop working?

went back to windows 7, just because i need x64 to use all the memory i got, and ubuntu x64 was kind of unstable on my system to be used as a main os, but the 32bit version is going to stay on my laptop. fixed the avatar and sig

Vista too by the way, you can use 16bg ram with the 32bit version if you activate the PAE kernel (like linux).

64bit is the future, but on both OS, it cause quite a lot of troubles and regressions.