Texas Boy, 7, Dies ... Shot for Trespassing

Actually, I've changed my mind now.

I'm unsure whether I think people should be allowed to own guns and do you know why? Because of how messed up the world is with crime.

Ideally, I think no one should be able to own a gun, even illegally, but unfortunately that can't happen, so because of that, maybe we need guns to protect ourselves and be able to feel safe? How can I feel safe walking down the street when an 11 year old boy (Rhys Jones) got shot for doing the same thing? That is how messed up this world is now-a-days!

Actually, I've changed my mind now.

I'm unsure whether I think people should be allowed to own guns and do you know why? Because of how messed up the world is with crime.

Ideally, I think no one should be able to own a gun, even illegally, but unfortunately that can't happen, so because of that, maybe we need guns to protect ourselves and be able to feel safe? How can I feel safe walking down the street when an 11 year old boy (Rhys Jones) got shot for doing the same thing? That is how messed up this world is now-a-days!

Correct. You can't turn back the clock and make it so that guns never existed. We opened pandora's box a long time ago.

The only way to make it so that people are safe is to allow the playing field to be leveled by allowing everybody to buy a gun as long as they are properly licensed and trained to use them.

The recurring fallacy is that people actually believe that gun laws reduce crime, which is ridiculous, considering that criminals are (obviously) not following the law and will get guns no matter what. By enacting gun laws, you only make it harder or impossible for the lawful citizen to protect him/herself, leading to situations where entire families are killed like fish in a barrel in their own homes.

Correct. You can't turn back the clock and make it so that guns never existed. We opened pandora's box a long time ago.

The only way to make it so that people are safe is to allow the playing field to be leveled by allowing everybody to buy a gun as long as they are properly licensed and trained to use them.

The recurring fallacy is that people actually believe that gun laws reduce crime, which is ridiculous, considering that criminals are (obviously) not following the law and will get guns no matter what. By enacting gun laws, you only make it harder or impossible for the lawful citizen to protect him/herself, leading to situations where entire families are killed like fish in a barrel in their own homes.

Unfortunately, I think you're absolutely right :(

Well. Wouldn't it be possible to implement a "no toleration" rule on selling/buying/owning guns.

And maybe closing down all gun manufactures?

If you can raid a home for drugs.. you can raid it for guns. Both kill.

Only place where guns/rifles should be allowed is at shooting ranges and hunting lodges where you rent the gun for hunting season and return it thereafter.

But idk.. alas maybe its too late as you stated.

Well. Wouldn't it be possible to implement a "no toleration" rule on selling/buying/owning guns.

And maybe closing down all gun manufactures?

If you can raid a home for drugs.. you can raid it for guns. Both kill.

Only place where guns/rifles should be allowed is at shooting ranges and hunting lodges where you rent the gun for hunting season and return it thereafter.

But idk.. alas maybe its too late as you stated.

Alcohol prohibition didn't work. Drug prohibition isn't working, and gun prohibition will fail as well.

As much as I hate to say this...

Texas' gun law only says that you may shoot someone in self defense.

I'm sure the 7 year old kid didn't know he was on their lawn and sure as hell didn't know he was trespassing on the peoples property.

This is sad, and I hope they goto jail.

Banning guns leads to EXTREME increase to the illegal gun trade/smuggling in the US. There will be all out gang wars to control this lucrative trade.

Gang wars ---> brazen shootings -----> more deaths.

If guns are legalized then ---> illega gun trade not as lucrative ---> no gang wars over the control of the trade ----> less innocent people dying due to brazen shootings.

Real life example, prohibition in the 1920's. Al Capone anyone?

Alcohol prohibition didn't work. Drug prohibition isn't working, and gun prohibition will fail as well.

+1 There is no way that you can say that 'gun control' would work, anyone ever see the NRA bumper stickers? They say "Gun control means using both hands!" Where I live (FL) is not what you would call a dangerous neighborhood, but it has gotten to the point now that Pizza Hut refuses to deliver pizza, sighting that the sheriffs office lists this area as a 'hot spot' for delivery drivers. Now I can still order from any other pizza place, still get mail and UPS. My argument has always been "Show me any area that does not have crime"Controlling guns, drugs, etc has done nothing here, hell, the cops just bagged a bunch of high-school kids bringing guns to school! So tell me, what good would gun control due, when the common idiot(criminal) can just buy a gun on the black market, or from a store that 'looks the other way' when filling the paperwork out.

Shooting trespassers made sense sum 200 years ago, not today. These people really are dumb.

Fine, the right to bare arms is an alright amendment, but FFS don't follow it to the letter. Apply it to today's world and environment. Nah that's asking too much from these folks.

That's life? What's life? Getting killed by some idiot rednecks? Second amendment my a**... Yeah, let's give guns to everyone and let's give them the right to shoot whoever they want.

Yes, clearly the minority in America who do dumb crap like this are indicative of the entire country.

Shooting trespassers made sense sum 200 years ago, not today. These people really are dumb.

Fine, the right to bare arms is an alright amendment, but FFS don't follow it to the letter. Apply it to today's world and environment. Nah that's asking too much from these folks.

They didnt follow the law to the letter, and what they did was murder and was wrong, and will be punished. Are you people even reading this story? What they did was 100% wrong, regardless of any laws regarding people on their property or the right to bare arms.

dear lord somebody changed there mind on the internet!!

and if you don't live in Texas please shut the hell up and talk like you live there and think were all fools who like to shoot anything that moves

Awesome job. Shoot first and ask questions later. I mean, asking a family who out having a good time to leave the property you don't even own is just so hard. I mean, what if that seven-year old boy called him a bad name or made a mean face at him?

it is useless. Why in the hell would anyone need a weapon? This isnt a third world country. Hicks dont need to go hunting. Can get beef at the local supermarket. Stop sayin lame crap.

There is no connection between a gun and gun crime. You'd be a communist if you made one. ---Bill Hicks ^.^

I prefer the taste of a good deer any time. Just sayin'.

I also believe that our 2nd Amendment is an extremely important right if we are to live in a Democracy. The fact you don't support one of our fundamental rights in this great country leads me to question your patriotism.

Its one thing to have a sign saying "Trespassers will be provided a warning and may be shot" with "Trespass, and I'll love to shoot you to death." Unless my life were being threatened, I'd have a hard time shooting someone for walking on my grass. I couldn't live with my self if I shot a child. The sign this guy posted hardly makes me thing he will ever be remorseful.

Wouldn't we just be as bad as them?

Though I don't support executing these people because of what they did I will say that if we did execute them it wouldn't make us the same as them. One has to do something warranting an execution; murder has no such requirement nor is murder bound by procedure.

I like that people want to turn to the Bill of Rights, but the finer point is most people don't even read the entire thing. It doesn't just say people have a right to own guns, there's a whole first part to that amendment.

If guns were banned everywhere (apart from for military usage), murders caused by shootings wouldn't happen half as often...

I'm just saying... :)

That's true but murders by hachet / machete would rise dramatically.

I puzzled as to why people think only the military or police should be able to use guns.

That's one of the major underlinings of a fascist society.

It isn't an issue with the 2nd Amendment... It's an issue with property boundaries. The couple didn't realise it wasn't part of the land they owned, and a mistake happened. Of course, the mistake resulted in quite a tragedy, but it was still a mistake, something that humans make often. The gun laws simply provided the means. I'm sure a simple crossbow would also have done the trick, so should crossbows be outlawed? Of course not! Seriously, open your eyes and recognise!

It isn't an issue with the 2nd Amendment... It's an issue with property boundaries. The couple didn't realise it wasn't part of the land they owned, and a mistake happened. Of course, the mistake resulted in quite a tragedy, but it was still a mistake, something that humans make often. The gun laws simply provided the means. I'm sure a simple crossbow would also have done the trick, so should crossbows be outlawed? Of course not! Seriously, open your eyes and recognise!

I'm a big supporter of the 2nd Amendment, but even if that kid were on their property, it doesn't mean they can just fire at will. That's not a mistake, that's called gross incompetence and complete disregard for life. They could have yelled at that kid to get off the property or be shot, but no, those idiots just shot him. Those people will have to pay dearly for ending that kid's life.