[UK:] Migration Authorisation Code query

If someone can guide me in the right direction here, I'd be more than greatful, as I'm a wee-bit confusled :)

My Grandad has an AOL internet connection through his BT phoneline. He's finally had enough of the appalling service (less than .5mb/s) and decided to cancel his service. I phoned up AOL, and it seemed fine. I asked 'em for a MAC Code, which they're gonna e-mail through.

Now, this is the bit where I'm confused. My Grandad isn't gonna switch to another ISP straight away. His computer belongs in a museum, so I've said that when I buy my new computer (Acer AspireRevo) he can have my current one (Asus EeeBox b202), but that won't be until the end of next month (to many bills due this month to be able to buy one :) ). He's also said that, even when he gets the new machine, he probably won't put it online straight away.

Now, let's say in 6 months time he decides he wants to go back on the internet, with another ISP (such as O2). I thought he would be fine, as AOL will be sending his MAC Code through, however I've read that they're only valid for 30 days - so basically, what would happen? Would it just be a case of phoning AOL back, and requesting a new MAC Code, or is it a little bit more tricky?

Yes, MAC Codes do expire. You must use it 30 days from when it is issued or it will no longer be valid. If your MAC code does expire you will need to call your service provider and ask them to issue you another one.

Yes, MAC Codes do expire. You must use it 30 days from when it is issued or it will no longer be valid. If your MAC code does expire you will need to call your service provider and ask them to issue you another one.

But it'll be OK todo that in, say 6 months, or longer?

After the 30 days the mac code expires, and AOL wont offer you another one as you wont be with them anymore.

However you should be able to just sign up with a new ISP, and not have the "ADSL activation charge" (if that is even still around). But you will lose out on any offers you get from "migrating" to them.

After the 30 days the mac code expires, and AOL wont offer you another one as you wont be with them anymore.

However you should be able to just sign up with a new ISP, and not have the "ADSL activation charge" (if that is even still around). But you will lose out on any offers you get from "migrating" to them.

That sounds OK :) - that was my main concern, that if he wants to go back on the 'net later on, AOL would refuse to issue a new Migration code. However, if everything clears itself within a month, then that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm glad I'm on cable :)

Cheers to everyone for the advice, I'll phone him later to let him know.

Just be careful, some providers have a clause that states if you don't use the code they will assume you've changed your mind about leaving and either keep you signed up to them or even start a new x-month contract.

I'd say if he's not wanting the internet right away, cancel it all together and then take a new provider down the line. All the MAC does is mean he's not waiting for a week or so for the internet to be 'switched on'.

Just be careful, some providers have a clause that states if you don't use the code they will assume you've changed your mind about leaving and either keep you signed up to them or even start a new x-month contract.

I'd say if he's not wanting the internet right away, cancel it all together and then take a new provider down the line. All the MAC does is mean he's not waiting for a week or so for the internet to be 'switched on'.

So if I hadn't asked for a MAC code in the first place, they'd have simply cancelled his account, and then a few months down the road he'd have been free to set up a new connection with someone else, if he wanted? Typical :)

So if I hadn't asked for a MAC code in the first place, they'd have simply cancelled his account, and then a few months down the road he'd have been free to set up a new connection with someone else, if he wanted? Typical :)

Pretty much, you might still be able to get them to cancel - Just call up and say that he's going to move and doesn't need the MAC code. They can't prove it otherwise. lol

I work for a uk ISP. If you don't use your MAC then AOL will assume you have changed you mind. The best thing for you to do I simply phone up and give your notice. That way the contract ends and AOLs TAG will get removed from your line. Meaning when you come to place your new order in x amount of months it will be a simple 6 to 10 day process. No fuss.

Hi Maximum Error,

While you were posting that, I was on the phone to AOL India, then AOL Scotland, on my Grandads behalf :) Basically it's sorted, I told then that I wasn't actually looking to switch to another provider for a few months, and that I just wanted to cancel the account. They've confirmed that the cancellation is being processed, and that, in 99.999% of cases, the AOL Tag is removed within around 14 days. I also got an official cancellation number, to confirm that it has indeed been cancelled.

Phew - I might moan every now and then about VirginMedia, but at least they're easy to use :)

That sounds good. I won't mention any names but there is on isp in britain who are very bad at putting there ceases through and leaving their tag on *cough* tiscali *cough*. Aol are ussualy very good to deal with. You should be ok. In 14 days u could phone the BT tags number to make sure the tag is removed. It will save u a load of hassle if its removed sooner rather than later.