'How dare you point a gun at me!'

This is the moment a have-a-go hero reduced an armed robber to tears - by grabbing his gun and pinning him down until police arrived.

Leslie Shott, 34, confronted the hooded youth after he burst into a shop brandishing an airgun.

The yob pointed the pistol at Leslie's face but the brave welder simply grabbed the barrel, wrestled him to the ground and told him: 'How dare you point a gun at me!'

article-1181000-04E80310000005DC-981_468x350.jpg

As they waited for the police the 19-year-old started sobbing and begged forgiveness from shop owner Mohammed Ullah.

Leslie said he was 'just acting on instinct' when he tackled the thug at Staverton Convenience Store in Trowbridge, Wilts.

The father-of-one - who lives above the shop - said: 'I just acted on instinct and would do it again if I had to. Every man should have the right to protect the area where he lives.

'I have family here and I don't like the idea of people like this causing trouble and thinking they can get away with what they like.

'It was quite scary and was a dangerous situation as the lad was swearing and putting up a fight. He seemed willing to fire the gun.

'But once I got him on the floor and told him the police were on their way he started begging and crying.

'It was pretty pathetic and he was pleading for me to let him go but people need to know they cannot do what they want and get away with it.'

The drama began at 10pm on Sunday March 3 when three youths barged into the shop as Mohammed, 54, locked up.

Leslie - who was relaxing upstairs in his two-bedroom flat with partner Steph and 18-month-old daughter Caitlin - rushed down to investigate as the shop had been targeted by thieves earlier that day.

He said: 'I ran in and asked what they were doing there and they started shouting and swearing.

'One of them said, "you don't know who I am" and after we exchanged a few words one of them pulled out the gun and brought it right up to my face.

'I stepped forward towards him and put my hand over the muzzle and kept it down and then pushed his face down on the floor.'

The scuffle spilled into the street and Leslie jostled the gunman to the ground - where he started crying, claiming he was 'sorry' and it was all a misunderstanding.

When police arrived minutes later the youth tried to make another break for it but officers gave chase and arrested him 100 yards down the road.

Leslie said: 'When I had him pinned down at the end and had taken the gun off him I told him, "how dare you pull a gun on me in public".

'I told him that he had ruined his life through his actions as the police were going to turn up any second and he started to cry.

'He begged forgiveness from Mohammed and told him there had been a mistake.'

Shop owner Mohammed, 54, who has given Leslie a bottle of Champagne to say thank you, said: 'I am very grateful to Les.

'I don't know what would have happened if my friend had not been here and stepped in like that.

'I had been having trouble earlier that night. Young people came in and took bottles of Strongbow cider and ran off. I was shaking at the thought of what happened.'

The 19-year-old was arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery and two other men, aged 17 and 23, were arrested nearby. They have all been bailed pending further enquiries.

source

I always thought a safe thing to do, if you ever had a hold of their gun, would be to shoot a robber/mugger in their kneecaps, and then their hands... otherwise you're kind of at risk to whatever else they may have, i.e. another gun or a knife etc., but would that be legal? Act of self-defense?

Serves the guy right carnt walk in there been a tough guy flashing around a gun then next min start crying, hopefully he would have learn his lesson and get a job like every other person

I always thought a safe thing to do, if you ever had a hold of their gun, would be to shoot a robber/mugger in their kneecaps, and then their hands...

Kneecaps? Hands? No, you always aim for the largest mass, because if you're stressed and/or the target is moving or you don't have much experience shooting, it gives you the greatest chance of hitting.

otherwise you're kind of at risk to whatever else they may have, i.e. another gun or a knife etc., but would that be legal? Act of self-defense?

No, not unless he was charging you with another weapon. If he was standing still in front of you and you shot him in the knee, you'd be going to jail. You can't just "assume" they have a weapon. However if you shot him during the struggle and not after getting the situation under control, it would be self defense.

Its sad, but they have been bailed. The kid will probably round up some "homies" and come back and either firebomb the place, try to kill this Les guy or just break in when everything is closed up.

Its such a sad state of affairs :(