Cat ate two rubber bands

So I just found out one of our cats ate two rubber bands. She passed one (which was whole) in the litter box, she threw the other up (whole also) in the hallway.

PROBLEM is that our car is currently in pieces at the shop and won't be done for a few more hours.

She is still eating (like crazy) and drinking water, she is acting fine and both have been expelled completely. She dug in the trash probably yesterday for god only knows what and found and ate them.

Since I can't get her to a vet at the moment (yeah I know..."we're a forum not a vet clinic"...I don't have a freakin car at the moment) I'm wondering how concerned I need to be about her. If she is still eating and she passed everything can she wait a few hours to get to a vet? I've NEVER had a cat eat something they weren't supposed to like this, so I really don't know.

edit - i DID call the ER vet clinic, they are closed during normal hours...and I can't reach anyone at my vet. Really, do they all take lunch at the same time??

Edited by Triliaeris

My guess is that she is fine. If she's passed one, and thrown up the other, she should be okay. As long as she's not throwing up anymore and her eating habits return to normal soon, then I think she should be okay. I'm sure she can wait a few hours to see a vet. I would be surprised if she didn't get the all clear at the vet's anyway.

So I just found out one of our cats ate two rubber bands. She passed one (which was whole) in the litter box, she threw the other up (whole also) in the hallway.

PROBLEM is that our car is currently in pieces at the shop and won't be done for a few more hours.

She is still eating (like crazy) and drinking water, she is acting fine and both have been expelled completely. She dug in the trash probably yesterday for god only knows what and found and ate them.

Since I can't get her to a vet at the moment (yeah I know..."we're a forum not a vet clinic"...I don't have a freakin car at the moment) I'm wondering how concerned I need to be about her. If she is still eating and she passed everything can she wait a few hours to get to a vet? I've NEVER had a cat eat something they weren't supposed to like this, so I really don't know.

edit - i DID call the ER vet clinic, they are closed during normal hours...and I can't reach anyone at my vet. Really, do they all take lunch at the same time??

I wouldnt worry about it really. As long as she passed one and tossed up the other and all the pieces are there...shouldnt be a problem. And the fact that she is eating, pooping, and retaining what she eats means she is probably fine. If she didnt pass the rubber bands, then I would be worried.

I can say with 105% certainty we are finding a new trash can tonight with a locking type lid. I've had cats all my life and have never had one eat anything like this. Stupid Kisa

I agree with everyone else; don't stress out too much about it. Cats are very, very resilient creatures. If she passed them you really have nothing to worry about. I think the biggest problem would have been her choking on the rubber bands, which, thankfully, did not happen.

edit: oops, i was a little late

I know that rubber bands, strings, and floss are very harmful for cats to swallow. However, if your cat has passed them, then it will be just fine. :)

Yay for cats. I luvs mine very much!

Speaking as someone who just took their dog in for a $1500+ procedure to remove a blockage in his stomach because the moron eats crap that he shouldn't, you'd know if there was an obstruction. They'd stop eating completely, become lethargic, and be vomiting up a greenish-black bile everywhere. There would be no bowel movements. So, if your cat is acting like you've said, it should be fine.

I see my cats playing with elastic bands and other small items quite commonly. Perhaps I am being careless but I've never known them to swallow anything. Mind you, they carry off pencils and pens like there is no tomorrow. Somewhere in this house there is a cache of items including one of their original collars. Now, I really doubt they ate that.

Oh, and on-topic, I agree with what VIVIsectVI said.

Yea, i had a dog that ate dental floss once. The next day he was running around all crazy like. When I caught him, the floss was hanging out of his...well, you know...and he was trying to get away from it...funny stuff.

I could suggest throwing her against the wall.

If she bounces back, chances are there are a few more bands in there.

It she hits the wall like a wet slice of bread - shes all clear.

But on consideration - that'd be cruel wouldnt it?

Anyhow, to be serious, i would be confident she will be fine. Once she didnt choke on it - she will pass it

Dude, my freakin 4 cats eat rubber bands all the time...then they **** them out all over the place. No biggie.

WHOOO HOO!!!!! 1000 posts! Now, I know where I waste all my time!

Dude, my freakin 4 cats eat rubber bands all the time...then they **** them out all over the place. No biggie.

WHOOO HOO!!!!! 1000 posts! Now, I know where I waste all my time!

ADDICT! :)

I could suggest throwing her against the wall.

If she bounces back, chances are there are a few more bands in there.

It she hits the wall like a wet slice of bread - shes all clear.

But on consideration - that'd be cruel wouldnt it?

Try that and you'll have Anonymous on your ass. :laugh:

Well I finally did get a hold of a vet who told me the same thing you guys did. Thank goodness. Thank you guys for giving me information and letting me know they'd be fine! I'll make an appointment if anyone starts getting sick, or stops eating or anything weird like that.

Whew!

I'd be really careful with elastics and such. It could give your cat a bowel obstruction. It could kill your cat if there isn't an emergency surgery performed.

I read at first glance " PROBLEM is that our cat is currently in pieces at the shop..."

We found a locking trash can at Bed Beth & Beyond. It was 39 dollars, but if you are looking for a way to keep your animals out of the garbage then it's the way to go. We keep hearing her bump into it and push it around and generally try to get in...so far so good!! She started eating the carpet on her cat pole last night...so we'll have to watch that...but she seems to be doing okay!

Im sure that she will be fine.

Having the cat eating and drinking + acting like it normally does is a good thing. However I would take it to the vet just to make sure that its 100% fine.

You can never be too safe.

Get her some wheat grass... You can get it in a little packet that has soil in it ready for water and sun. :) My cats love it and it keeps them from eating weird stuff to get roughage.

Yea, i had a dog that ate dental floss once. The next day he was running around all crazy like. When I caught him, the floss was hanging out of his...well, you know...and he was trying to get away from it...funny stuff.

I've had that happen with bologna string. It was quite amusing for a while.

It's fine. Our cats eat all sorts of crap they're not supposed to (can't keep an eye on them 24/7, you know?) and they'll either throw it up or pass it out the other end.

Id still give the vet a ring to see what they say - whether you can get her there or not. Thats another matter once you've spoken to the vet.

I came home one day to find a cat sprawled out, her head completely stuck inside a cat food can, she looked dead, it was horrible. That's when we decided on changing our bin for something more secure, and we crush the top of the cans now. So far so good.

One of my cats occasionally manages to eat my hair, which is quite long. He then gets chased by a poop that is wrapped around the hair, which is still half inside his bottom. *facepalm*

We found a locking trash can at Bed Beth & Beyond. It was 39 dollars, but if you are looking for a way to keep your animals out of the garbage then it's the way to go. We keep hearing her bump into it and push it around and generally try to get in...so far so good!! She started eating the carpet on her cat pole last night...so we'll have to watch that...but she seems to be doing okay!

I hate to say it but is your cat might be slightly suicidal ;) Eats anything she can get her hands on thats not edible.

Is it a house cat or do you let her roam?

One of my cats occasionally manages to eat my hair, which is quite long. He then gets chased by a poop that is wrapped around the hair, which is still half inside his bottom. *facepalm*

I laughed so hard at that. I have two cats myself, love them soooo much :)

We don't have that many issues with them eating crap, they used to chew on grass and we have two secured bins (the lids click shut), we just have to be careful after mum's prepared meat for dinner, once the foil is on top of the meat we can hear the male cat scratching at it :p