Is this OEM copy legit?

Nope, you do get a discount though.

How much of a discount? I want to report the seller, but I assume that MS will want the fake as evidence and that still leaves my friend without an OS for his PC. If the seller agrees to a refund, then he'll want the thing back most likely. So torn here.....

I would like to interject, im pretty sure the Copy is legit, BUT if you look at the certificate of authenticity you notice that it looks like something is missing. Its because it was ripped off of a computer. There is plenty of guys on ebay selling these. A older computer goes to the dump but has a perfectly good license of windows on it so he gets a oem cd which microsoft will send some people and sells it. Might i ask if he got anything else with it, im pretty sure to cover there asses they need to sell some sort of hardware with it, might be a cheap pos usb drive. Its for sure sketchy but i think its absolutely legal.

oh and from experience he will most likely refund you if you tell him that it didnt work, if your not comfortable with using it.

I would like to interject, im pretty sure the Copy is legit, BUT if you look at the certificate of authenticity you notice that it looks like something is missing. Its because it was ripped off of a computer. There is plenty of guys on ebay selling these. A older computer goes to the dump but has a perfectly good license of windows on it so he gets a oem cd which microsoft will send some people and sells it. Might i ask if he got anything else with it, im pretty sure to cover there asses they need to sell some sort of hardware with it, might be a cheap pos usb drive. Its for sure sketchy but i think its absolutely legal.

oh and from experience he will most likely refund you if you tell him that it didnt work, if your not comfortable with using it.

I'm 100% sure its fake. I've never installed an OEM copy of XP that didn't require activation, much less one that also contained the two files I attached in my OP. As for the missing piece on the COA, I attempted to peel it off and the side came off. It felt like it was going to rip so I left it. He got an ancient HDD with it.

The COA looks legit. The one I have is quite ugly like that too, and I know it's legit because I ordered it from the Microsoft Partner Program. :)

None of that explains the odd files it creates or the film over the label. Go to the How to tell link I posted and examine the High Grade examples for the COA and Disc. Its a match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have exactly the same thing with a copy of XP I have purchased.

Who did you contact at Microsoft to check there was a problem, or did you just file a dispute?

Thnaks

Thanks, Did you get your money back or a new copy?

I've never had this problem, I knew MS had a site dedicated to Piracy though.

I just wanted to add that you may be eligible for a free replacement copy if you help them find the phony seller. I tried to quickly find the information for you..... I will keep looking.

I just wanted to add that you may be eligible for a free replacement copy if you help them find the phony seller. I tried to quickly find the information for you..... I will keep looking.

Hi,

Cheers, that could be useful. The main thing I would like to know is that are the setup.vbs and the wap.bat that are placed on the C: drive normal as part of an OEM install? As I have never seen them before on MSDN copies and it passes all the Microsoft Genuine Advantage stuff.

Thanks

Is it wonderful how fake things are appearing so real and legit? Printers, scanners, etc.. these are all the tools that fakers need these days.

I'm 100% sure its fake. I've never installed an OEM copy of XP that didn't require activation, much less one that also contained the two files I attached in my OP. As for the missing piece on the COA, I attempted to peel it off and the side came off. It felt like it was going to rip so I left it. He got an ancient HDD with it.

the only "legit" OEM editions of XP that don't require activation are the ones that come from PC manufacturers like Dell, HP/Compaq. those have custom OEM versions of XP that are already pre-activated on many of their machines.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just would like to join in on this discussion. I bought a copy on ebay as well (very cheaply I might add, I managed to get a bid in for $27). When it arrived, it all looked legit, everything is very high quality. Book looks legit, COA looks legit, CD looks legit. Using all the visual methods to determine it looks legit.

So I installed away and even WGA works, updates work, everything works as if its perfectly legit copy..

however I found the files WAP.BAT and SETUP.VBS, at first I was freaked I might have a virus or spyware, but Ive been scanning everything I install or download. Ive been looking on the net, and there doesnt seem to be much information on WAP.BAT and SETUP.VBS, the little information I have found is that these are part of pirate copys of windows. But Im still amazed how legit this appears, probably the highest quality fake Ive ever seen of any software. In a way, I even admire it.

However it never asked me for a name/org and didnt do an activation, and the key in the system properties contains the -64x- (which is volume licensing as I understand it)

The only thing funny about the COA is it doesnt have a green through the portholes, its clear. It does have the fiberous paper, the metalic strip, hollograms on the cd's the cd looks just like the microsoft one on the website.

But those wap.bat and setup.vbs plus the -64x- deal seems to be odd. I sent the ebayer a message, hopefully he will get back to me. I asked for a refund, cuz Im sure eventually this will fail me.

Very strange indeed. I notice he's sold LOTS of XP copys, and most of them sell pretty cheaply.. for all intensive purposes they look extreamly legit.

a pure counterfeit one! :blush:

And people are sure that the wap.bat and setup.vbs are ONLY created by pirate copys right?

Even the book has the microtype on it.

This counterfit is better than all the fakes posted in the high quality counterfit gallery at microsoft. I may have the latest wave of pirate copys.

Really the only thing throwing me off is these two files, and that the background appears clear on the portholes rather than green.

The cd is even high quality hologram, rathern that the lower qualities they have on microsofts page.

Karma is a bitch I suppose. I wont hide it, Ive pirated software for over 20 years now. Much more when I was a kid, nowdays I usually buy something if its reasonably priced, since I actually make decent money ;). However I do think its absolutly ****ing crazy to pay 100+ bucks for an OS. So I waited until prices came down, and bid wisely on ebay.

I use mostly free/open source software 90% of the time.. however I wanted an actual legit copy of windows for occasional use on another partition. I decided I would actually purchase a copy for once... Although I am a pirate, I have never pirated for profit. So I am pretty annoyed by this. as well as amazed. how far its come since the days of my little dial up BBS and its pirated warez.

Part of me really wants to call microsoft up help them bust this guy, and his ring. Mostly because Ive been had, and that annoys the crap out of me. Ethics among pirates? Well since Ive always been a non-profit pirate my ethics tell me to take this one out. I may have pirated a good number of things in my heyday as a kid/teenager, but I never made nor attempted to profit off of it.

Then again.. as a lowely scumdog pirate, and computer geek since I was 10years old, I hate microsoft with a passion (for a variety of reasons).. its almost like helping my sworn enemy.. teaming up with the badguy..

yes I am ethically torn.

Then again persuasion from microsoft (a free copy of an outdated soon to be dead operating system) might tip me into helping them.

In the end when using pirated software I have always accepted that it might break, updates might not work, etc.. but I never paid money for it!

And people are sure that the wap.bat and setup.vbs are ONLY created by pirate copys right?

if we delete these wap.bat and setup.vbs(ONLY created by pirate copys right) these two files,it will made genuine!

if we delete these wap.bat and setup.vbs(ONLY created by pirate copys right) these two files,it will made genuine!

huh?

I assume you are just trying to be funny. :D