• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Cables bundled with products.

»X«    1

Today I received my first brand new purchases in years. a Toshiba 32" HDTV and a Song Blu-Ray player.

I can't fault the products, what I am puzzled and annoyed about however is the lack of cables provided by both Sony and Toshiba. The TV had NO cables with it, no scarts etc. Fair enough I suppose since you buy stuff like that to upgrade. However what did **** me off is that the bluray player had only one set of cables in the box, composite. The logic in this decision is totally lost on me. True, giving away a HDMI cable may cost Sony extra (although I doubt it) but surely bundling some component cables with the machine wouldn't hurt anyone? Instead they provide cables which offer no HD experience what so ever. They may as well gave me a coaxial cable.

So I had a new tv and bluray player and couldn't watch blurays in HD unless I went out and bought more cables.

How do you people feel about cables with products? Too much? Not enough? Or just right?

This is my first new purchase in years so I can't compare it.But I just can't but feel let down.

Brian M.    778

Moved Here

protocol7    548

Have you checked the manuals that came with the TV and player to make sure the cables aren't missing? It does seem strange to ship a blu-ray player without a HDMI cable.

And if I'd just spent the kind of money to buy both of those, I'd expect a freebie cable if needed.

Bhav    18

All companies do this with everything and it's f'ing annoying!!

e.g. you buy a printer and there's no USB cable to connect it to your PC...wtf?!

Just an easy way for them to save on their costs...and we can't do anything about it because we'll just go out and buy the necessary cables because we have to

»X«    1
Have you checked the manuals that came with the TV and player to make sure the cables aren't missing? It does seem strange to ship a blu-ray player without a HDMI cable.

And if I'd just spent the kind of money to buy both of those, I'd expect a freebie cable if needed.

Good thinking. I did check it and as you can see, it sucks. Composite cables? May as well have sent a sausage with it instead. About as much use.

post-139232-1242673162.jpg

the evn show    138

If I had to guess at the reasoning: it's a concession to retailers. Cables have obscene mark-up on them (several hundred to several thousand percent above the cost of manufacture) where as a typical piece of electronic kit might only be marked up 50-100% at the higher-end of the mark-up scale.

By allowing retailers to sell cables rather than bundling the electronics manufacture saves a few pennies per box and the retailer gets to make a crap-load by scam-marketing things like Monster Cable.

If you were a big-box retailer what what you rather be selling:

$305 Blue-ray player with bundled cable. Net profit: $100

$299 Blue-ray player without cable. Net profit: $100 + $90 for HDMI & TOS link cables.

It's not about sony Saving money, it's about Best Buy making more from you.

Bhav    18
If I had to guess at the reasoning: it's a concession to retailers. Cables have obscene mark-up on them (several hundred to several thousand percent above the cost of manufacture) where as a typical piece of electronic kit might only be marked up 50-100% at the higher-end of the mark-up scale.

By allowing retailers to sell cables rather than bundling the electronics manufacture saves a few pennies per box and the retailer gets to make a crap-load by scam-marketing things like Monster Cable.

If you were a big-box retailer what what you rather be selling:

$305 Blue-ray player with bundled cable. Net profit: $100

$299 Blue-ray player without cable. Net profit: $100 + $90 for HDMI & TOS link cables.

It's not about sony Saving money, it's about Best Buy making more from you.

If I was a retailer, I'd rather sell a Blu-ray player to be honest :p