Alcohol and now stomach upset...

Had a bit to much to drink this weekend and now I've pretty much messed up my body. Drank more alcohol then eating any food.

I've got a bad case of diarrhea, it's been 2 days and basically my stomach hurts and i'm running to the bathroom frequently.

Just recently my stomach has started to making loud and obnoxious noises.

I've tried pepto-bismol, drinking fluids and such as so far no relief.

Hopefully some of you guys can point me in the right direction as to getting past this episode and i can get back to work!

haha the typical results of drinking, it will blow over soon, drink water too, also bowel movements are always related to excess alcohol intake, it is totally normal.. i am a nurse..

The diarrhoea will subside once your body is detoxified of alcohol.

Eat and drink tons of water.

Without a doubt. You run the risk of dehydration with that much diarrhea.

Your "stomach" probably hurts because of your dehydration. Alcohol further dehydrates your body. If you're really feeling bad, I'd seriously consider going to the ER and getting an IV.

Bread, lots of thick bread.

I second that and if you are not lactose intolerant then add some cheese. Though I would not have went with the pepto though. I would have went with Kaopectate .

haha your probably thinking right now, i never drinking that much again thats how i feel then i look at myself the next weekend and i have a my 5th beer in my hand and i am like meh haha

haha your probably thinking right now, i never drinking that much again thats how i feel then i look at myself the next weekend and i have a my 5th beer in my hand and i am like meh haha

Haha same here...I don't learn sometimes lol :p

The diarrhoea will subside once your body is detoxified of alcohol.
He saids it's been 2 days. Your body will detox the booze in a matter of hours.

I doubt your symptoms are a consequence of alcohol ingestion, which simply doesn't cause 2 days of diarrhea. Alcohol withdrawal could do it, but it doesn't sound like you're what I would call a chronic drinker and you'd have other, more severe symptoms if it was withdrawal. You probably have mild gastritis or just happened to get gastroenteritis ("stomach flu") around the same time you went drinking as a matter of pure coincidence. Dehydration could contribute, but it sounds like you're hydrating just fine. Nothing to worry about unless you notice dark stools or frank blood in your stool; in that case head to urgent care.

If you're really feeling bad, I'd seriously consider going to the ER and getting an IV.
Absolutely not. You're right that dehydration is a major concern with diarrhea, but IV fluids are for people who can't take adequate oral fluids, and our OP is drinking water just fine.

Haha same here...I don't learn sometimes lol :p

Well, i drank 12 cans of beer last saturday, never get sick :D lucky me I guess;)

Alcohol irritates your digestive system and causes damage to your liver, so even after the alcohol is gone it's feasible that that you would continue to feel the affects while your body heals. That said, I've never had a hangover last more than a day..

When I'm feeling sick from a hangover, water, tea and toast help me. But I'm no medic .. something else could be wrong here.. if your symptoms get worse then get to an ER or doctor.

Let this be a lesson not to abuse your body so badly with poison...

this happened to me a while back, had a bit of a mad weekend, thenhad the runs for days afterwards, i thought yeah ill just drink load of water and not eat too much exotic food.

all was fine 3 days later for about 12 hours then i got a crippling pain in what i thought was my liver, couldn't stand up, and even though I'll sound like a pansy, pretty much brought me to tears.

I was convinced to go to A&E and found out that my appendix was about to rupture.

so as persephone says, get it checked out, jut in case

Thanks for the quick responses everyone...and I must say I will never pickup a drink again.

The good news is it looks like my body is finally starting to form stools. Before my diarhea was literally 100% liquad, now from my investigation of the toilet it looks like its about 50% solid, it's not just floating around anymore lol.

I think I will continue to drink the liquads and rely on pepto-bismol.

One more thing, if I go for a blood test, will it show the alcohol or whatever is wrong with my system? I was due for one this week but I've post-poned it thanks to my condition. :(

haha the typical results of drinking, it will blow over soon, drink water too, also bowel movements are always related to excess alcohol intake, it is totally normal.. i am a nurse..

And Nurses know ALOT about drinking. :D

Thanks for the quick responses everyone...and I must say I will never pickup a drink again.

The good news is it looks like my body is finally starting to form stools. Before my diarhea was literally 100% liquad, now from my investigation of the toilet it looks like its about 50% solid, it's not just floating around anymore lol.

I think I will continue to drink the liquads and rely on pepto-bismol.

One more thing, if I go for a blood test, will it show the alcohol or whatever is wrong with my system? I was due for one this week but I've post-poned it thanks to my condition. :(

We all say we wont drink again after we've over done it. New years eve for me was a perfect example. After an entire bottle of vodka and 4 beers I swore id never touch the stuff LOL.

I will also add that Ginger Root (capsules sold at stores) is mans best friend when he has a bad hangover. The stuff has saved me a time or two.

Edited by JackBauer87

I wouldn't worry too much. I went through a bunch of stuff that seems to be associated with mild withdrawal after my week in Cancun during Spring Break this year (stuff I'd never experienced before after single nights or weekends of heavy drinking). It all went away within the next week. Did a beer pong tournament the next weekend without getting too crazy and was fine (apart from the normal hangover).

Probably won't ever drink so heavily again (learned some lessons), but I'm not going to kid myself and say I'm not going to drink at all.

-Spenser

hmm...i'm feeling fine now, its just my stomach makes noises and ive still got diarrhea :s

sounds like what i had the last 2 days, it's a nasty stomach bug that's going around. trust me as i was in the hospital this morning getting rehydrated.

i seem to be getting better...but my mouth feels weird and everything tastes quite weird. my diarrhea is not so rampant, its basically almost as if i'm constipated because i havent been releasing my waste as much as i think I should be right now...hmm

When I am hung over I go to IHOP and get 4 eggs, 4 bacon strips, 4 pancakes, hashbrowns, and about a gallon of water. Seems to do the trick for me :)