(PC) Official Fuel thread + Specs

Oh man...

I'm glad I borrowed this game from my friend, Internet, before I decided to buy it. Horrible... :x

Even though it got bad reviews, I thought it looked pretty awesome. Dang... I was wrong.

The graphics made my eyes tear up. Whenever you go "fast" (which seems slow...), there's a weird blurry vignette that surrounds the outer portions of the screen... I guess it was a bad attempt at trying to make the game look "fast". I really did get teary eyed, lol. Also, for my current system specs, the graphics loaded pretty slowly. Like, the hills and background graphics looked like blurry n64/dreamcast or something. Then when you get close, all these trees pop up out of nowhere.

But I decided to keep playing...

Random traffic trucks vanish into thin air. I decided to stalk a few trucks to see where they'd go, and boom... gone. They just disappear. So, I drive away... Oh wait, there it is again. It came back.

Sound effects are pretty annoying. It seems like the same one is played over and over again. Example - turning on actual street = squeal, squeal, squeal. squeal, squeal, squeal. SAME squeal no matter what, hahaha...

The AI is pretty stupid. There seems to be about 4 cars that start at 9,000mph, the rest are slow and dumb. The 4 cars in the front then decide to slow down for some reason and let you win... :huh:

*deletes it*

the devs missed the mark on this one. What good is a giant terrain for if it's so empty and there's so little things to do ( except big ****ing long rides to get to a stupid viewpoint or to get a useless livery ). They could have done so much more ( like finding insane jumps and stuff like that ).

This game is a bag of fail for me.

i dont get why people hate this so much i love it

You seem to be one of the few that love it or even like it from what Im reading. I find myself agreeing with most of your comments in this forum, so could you expand a bit on your impression of the game? The scenario of this game is something Ive always thought would be really cool.

You seem to be one of the few that love it or even like it from what Im reading. I find myself agreeing with most of your comments in this forum, so could you expand a bit on your impression of the game? The scenario of this game is something Ive always thought would be really cool.

ok lets see what comes out here lol

When i first heard about this game i thought 'great a motorstorm game for the PC' until i researched into it a little and realised that its nothing like motorstorm, with tbh didnt bother me, as if it was a clone then i think it would have got as much press as it did.

As you know it came out on console first, so i rented it from Lovefilm.com and when it arrived I slammed it into the CD tray and started playing.

The game itself as you know is freeroam/sandbox/drive wherever you want, with a good wide selection on bikes, quads, trucks and others (hovercraft + Dragster) the game it built around camps with you find/unlock the more you play/drive around, each camp as a various amount of challenges where you get 'fuel' to buy more cars/bikes whatever you want, you can also find 'fuel' barrels scattered around the map while your just cruising, these also add to your overall fuel total.

After doing all the challenges for the camp you can head on off to find the vista points (areas on the mop that give good views), liveries, challenge events and races

When you have done 'X' amount of stuff in that one area you will unlock the next camp.

I found the gameplay to be good, fast and enjoyable (when in the races/challenges) hunting for liveries and vista points can be a little boring when offline, but when online you get to cruise with others.

I dont get when people say 'there is nothing to see while cruising' or 'its to bland' as i was always pelting through a forrest or jumping over things, personally i found the landscape to be littered with stuff, (ok the odd hut and building was repeated but what do you expect with a map thats so big)

Online play was cool, while i had the 360 version i met up with 3 others and drove from one side of the map to the other, we just nattered away and 1 1/2hr later we arrived, pus we got an acheivement for the ride, which was cool.

Connecting to people is somewhat different. you both have to be in the same 'camp' and also roughly in the same area, there is no teleportation across the map to join your friends, but thats why they included helipads so you can get across the map faster lol

My over all fav feature is that its 'Games For Windows Live' enabled which means i can uses my Gamertag, chat with friends and earn achievments, i dont see why people are bashing gfwl as i think its a great system and for me it works fine.

Graphics wise the PC is better than the 360 version (well i think they are lol) with my rig im hitting 40+fps constantly.

hope this helps u out a little

ok lets see what comes out here lol

When i first heard about this game i thought 'great a motorstorm game for the PC' until i researched into it a little and realised that its nothing like motorstorm, with tbh didnt bother me, as if it was a clone then i think it would have got as much press as it did.

As you know it came out on console first, so i rented it from Lovefilm.com and when it arrived I slammed it into the CD tray and started playing.

The game itself as you know is freeroam/sandbox/drive wherever you want, with a good wide selection on bikes, quads, trucks and others (hovercraft + Dragster) the game it built around camps with you find/unlock the more you play/drive around, each camp as a various amount of challenges where you get 'fuel' to buy more cars/bikes whatever you want, you can also find 'fuel' barrels scattered around the map while your just cruising, these also add to your overall fuel total.

After doing all the challenges for the camp you can head on off to find the vista points (areas on the mop that give good views), liveries, challenge events and races

When you have done 'X' amount of stuff in that one area you will unlock the next camp.

I found the gameplay to be good, fast and enjoyable (when in the races/challenges) hunting for liveries and vista points can be a little boring when offline, but when online you get to cruise with others.

I dont get when people say 'there is nothing to see while cruising' or 'its to bland' as i was always pelting through a forrest or jumping over things, personally i found the landscape to be littered with stuff, (ok the odd hut and building was repeated but what do you expect with a map thats so big)

Online play was cool, while i had the 360 version i met up with 3 others and drove from one side of the map to the other, we just nattered away and 1 1/2hr later we arrived, pus we got an acheivement for the ride, which was cool.

Connecting to people is somewhat different. you both have to be in the same 'camp' and also roughly in the same area, there is no teleportation across the map to join your friends, but thats why they included helipads so you can get across the map faster lol

My over all fav feature is that its 'Games For Windows Live' enabled which means i can uses my Gamertag, chat with friends and earn achievments, i dont see why people are bashing gfwl as i think its a great system and for me it works fine.

Graphics wise the PC is better than the 360 version (well i think they are lol) with my rig im hitting 40+fps constantly.

hope this helps u out a little

Wow, that helps a lot. See, this sounds awesome to me. Im an exploration freak, its why it takes me 4 times as long to complete almost any game than others. I'm wondering how open it is to modding, and that question is what really draws me to it now. The potential is insane. Do you have any info on that? Im gonna look into that. Man, an hour and a half to drive across is huge. Thanks for taking the time, to reply...helps a lot.

i dont see why people are bashing gfwl as i think its a great system and for me it works fine.

Who's bashing GFWL In-game? As far as I recall, every complaint about the system is the out-of-game service which is ****-poor.

I'm going to give the game a bash and then post my impressions at some point.

So, I finally gave this game a spin both yesterday and this morning - Did you know, GFWL CD-keys are global :laugh:

I fired up the game and immediately had to mess with a few video options, mainly disable Shadow Maps because it was making the terrain flicker. Could be either the game, Windows 7 or my GPU acting up but it was quickly sorted. My very first thought when starting the game was "I'm going to free roam the crap out of this bad boy", when I noticed the main menu is as elaborate as a piece of string. So after much messing around I discovered you had to start a race of some sort, press start / escape and then choose free-roam ... Not very optimal but at least it's there. It may have been mentioned in the vast number of massively annoying pop-up menus that appear everywhere, In-game, menus etc. but I just skipped every single one.

My very first free-roam game did leave me giggling, I didn't have my 360 controller connected at the time and figured I'd give it a bash with the keyboard, suffice to say, the default controls are a bit odd. I was using arrow keys and WSAD yet the car wouldn't really accelerate, until I discovered you did that by pressing the spacebar ... aye, the spacebar. What kind of idiot thought that control scheme was good? After getting the hang of the controls ( somewhat ) I was racing down various roads and flying over jumps in no time and then you discover to the two major flaws with this game; fantastically poor car handling and the Flintstones environment. To set up for a comparison, I absolutely loathe the handling in GRID, the way Codemasters took arcade handling and gave it another notch towards bad, how the cars feel like they are either skidding around on a buttery track or can turn on a dime? Yes, they actually managed to make it worse.

It feels so bland, emotionless and out of touch to drive these various vehicles. You want to feel those crests, bumps and the weight of the car being thrown around and feel as though you are behind the wheel of actual moving machinery, there are actually arcade games out there that manages this so well Codemaster. I'm not even kidding, when the novelty of having a new game between your hands wear off, which is around 3 minutes after you installed it in this case, driving these cars are borderline torture, because you really get that sense of pointlessness and it kicks you in the head, hard.

As for the terrain, describing it as bland is perhaps a bit harsh but I honestly can't think of a better description. Yes, there are trees, jumps, sheds, oil drums, cars, rocks, lakes and all that scattered around the map but there are two problems here, the graphics engine apparently can't draw anything 40 feet in front of the car, which leaves the surrounding areas looking completely empty and even the textures goes to a one-blob green / grey / yellow or whatever is beyond the next hill. As I said earlier, this is definitely a Flintstones environment, you see the same objects constantly! Generic jump, rusty shed, broken tree you can drive under, rusty shed, generic jump, broken tree you can drive under, generic jump, generic trees, a rock, generic jump, fuel can ... You get the picture. I swear to god, I saw this trend within 5 minutes of driving, that's right, after 5 minutes of free-roaming a pretty large area I had already exhausted the environmental props.

Then I could mention the completely mind-numbingly boring task of driving after some glowing pylons in the background in the form of "Vista points" and "Challenges", online or offline, it's not a great concept Codemasters - It's boring. Oh and a last mention, the entire audio side of the game is terrible. Engines does literally sound like an over-revving sewing machine outputting in 96kbps audio, same goes with the soundtrack, which sounds like generic and digitally created rock.

To sum it up, the game had a lot of potential but it feels rushed, boring and the attention to details is non-existent. So I'd say the various 6/10 review scores are generous but then again, I'm known for my pessimistic views on games ( A great game deserves the praise, terrible games deserves to be shot down in a plume of smoke and a following massive explosion. ).

So a 4/10 from me.

Engines does literally sound like an over-revving sewing machine outputting in 96kbps audio

LOL! I couldn't have said it any better. Gotta love the sound of trying to drive up the side of a mountain.

Complete ****. Just played for two hours and will not play again.

If you want a free roaming arcade racer then Burnout Paradise is on Pc and it's awesome. I'm 15 hours into it and still just drive around looking for jumps etc. I'm only 36% so far. Don't waste your time with FUeL

You want to feel those crests, bumps and the weight of the car being thrown around and feel as though you are behind the wheel of actual moving machinery

This is my main gripe with Codies in all their off-road racers, the cars have zero weight to them. Ive played all the CMR games and Dirt and its always the same, feels like you're driving a cutting board with all 4 wheels jammed together in the center. The only time they have gotten close to a weighty feel are the trucks and rails in Dirt, but the rest of that game is plagued by this same issue. Man I hope they get it right in Dirt 2. I hate that one of my favorite genres of game hardly even exists.

So, I finally gave this game a spin both yesterday and this morning - Did you know, GFWL CD-keys are global :laugh:

omg your right ive just tried my flatout ultimate carnage code and its worked on 2 different games!!! rofl talk about a security hole