• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Zune Marketplace Comes To Xbox Live

+Audioboxer    2,876
Speaking with The Guardian, Microsoft's Chris Stevenson has announced that the Zune Marketplace - and everything available on it - is to be made available to Xbox 360 owners. The move is part of a growing effort by Microsoft to bring their two "entertainment" devices closer together, and is one which will no doubt heighten speculation that the upcoming ZuneHD, also confirmed by Stevenson (due out in the US this fall), will be a bit more serious as a gaming device.

Making the Zune marketplace available to Xbox Live users means that all the store's content - from music to TV shows to other video content - can now be purchased by Xbox 360 users, with no need for a Zune. It's basically like opening up the Apple Store on the console, except...not quite as good.

Users will be able to stream, rent and download content from the store when it opens in "late autumn" (so late fall), with a variety of pricing and ownership options available.

The catch: the Zune marketplace on 360 won't be available globally. Only the US, Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Ireland & Spain will have access to it, so Canadians, Australians and anyone else reading this not on that list, sorry.

We'd expect the finer details of this move to be announced at E3 next week.

zunestore.jpg

Source: http://kotaku.com/5270893/zune-marketplace...es-to-xbox-live

Andrew    2,861

This plus the BskyB deal = ftw.

MS already win E3 :p Don't bother turning up Sony/Ninty :p

I want ZuneHD noawww :drool:

+Audioboxer    2,876
This plus the BskyB deal = ftw.

MS already win E3 :p Don't bother turning up Sony/Ninty :p

I want ZuneHD noawww :drool:

I'm sorry you're late, Afrika has already won E3 - http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=776744 :p

Maybe this means MS will finally release the Zune in the UK.... I almost bought one last year to replace my 5.5G in the states but I didn't. Now I was thinking about getting the new iPhone as my current phone is on it's last legs (combining phone/mp3 player), but I don't know all over again if Zune HD launches in the EU.

Thing that puts me off iPhone is terrible battery life (in comparison to an MP3 player), so it depends how the new iPhone fairs.

Andrew    2,861

Don't buy an iPhone until WWDC is at least over (June).

I've not long bought my iPod Touch at xmas, but I really want a portable Xbox device. Even if it's only for XBLA titles and Marketplace.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Don't buy an iPhone until WWDC is at least over (June).

I've not long bought my iPod Touch at xmas, but I really want a portable Xbox device. Even if it's only for XBLA titles and Marketplace.

Yeah I know rumours on the new iPhone.

Unless it has improved battery life I won't be getting it. I'll just stick with a separate phone/mp3 player combo which is why I might consider a Zune HD if it launches here and I'll just pickup a cheaper new phone.

During Uni time I use my iPod for hours each day, I cannot be arsed charging an iPhone every single night if it's to be my MP3 player as well and it's battery is going flat non-stop.

spenser.d    1,100

Oh hell yes. The Zune Marketplace and software is far better than iTunes and, as a Zune owner and Zune Pass subscriber, this is definitely something I've been wanting for a while. Can't wait for ZuneHD too :D

-Spenser

Ayepecks    117

Looking forward to all this :) Microsoft is a big winner when it comes to software.

@ stifler: I like your quote!

The Teej    203
I'm sorry you're late, Afrika has already won E3 - http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=776744 :p

Maybe this means MS will finally release the Zune in the UK.... I almost bought one last year to replace my 5.5G in the states but I didn't. Now I was thinking about getting the new iPhone as my current phone is on it's last legs (combining phone/mp3 player), but I don't know all over again if Zune HD launches in the EU.

Thing that puts me off iPhone is terrible battery life (in comparison to an MP3 player), so it depends how the new iPhone fairs.

uhh, isn't Zune HD in Europe confirmed?

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/07/m...ional-this-year

Chances of it not hitting Britain with the Zune store coming to Britain is really slim :p

+Audioboxer    2,876
uhh, isn't Zune HD in Europe confirmed?

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/07/m...ional-this-year

Chances of it not hitting Britain with the Zune store coming to Britain is really slim :p

Awesome, I didn't read it was coming globally!

The Teej    203
Awesome, I didn't read it was coming globally!

Well, it's not Globally, but it's coming to Europe which is all you need to worry about ;)

I just hope we don't end up with a really ****ty list of bands, I hope we get full access to everything that's on the US store straight away.

+longgonebn    74

I still need and want the Marketplace for my zune, stupid non-canadian service.

George P    6,260

I blame all the tricky licensing MS probably has to jump through to get the zune marketplace in europe for the long delay. Way more labels/bands, all the different countries etc. Languages as well and other things just delay it.

As for Canada, I thought they got the Zune already? But that's just the device not the store?

SMELTN    142

awesome news here can't wait.

NoLiMiT06    69

I love the idea of the service I just wish it was compatible with the iPod, the only reason I dont have a Zune is because my car system is designed to work with the ipod through the head unit and there is no such option for the zune.... :(

Knightwolf20024    19
As for Canada, I thought they got the Zune already? But that's just the device not the store?

we have the zune but no marketplace.

The Teej    203

from the source:

UPDATE 1 - It appears that the Guardian piece broke an embargo set down for the story, and in the process got a few things wrong. An official Microsoft press release clarifying the details is on the way, we'll update as soon as we receive it.

UPDATE 2 - OK, the official press release only specifically mentions Zune video content being made available on Xbox Live.

"Zune will be a premium partner in the Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace, bringing an exciting catalog of TV and film to the platform. Zune will occupy the first slot within the Xbox user interface in the Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace, exposing the Zune brand experience to millions of new consumers for the first time. At the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) next week, attendees will see firsthand how Zune integrates into Xbox LIVE to create a game-changing entertainment experience."

Course, they could announce music at E3, but that seems unlikely. And without a music store, well, this whole media sharing thing is really only of use to Europeans, whose video stores don't have as much content as the Zune store does.

As for that "game-changing" hint, however...that's a little more exciting...

carmatic    54
It's basically like opening up the Apple Store on the console, except...not quite as good.

why is it not as good? is this some kind of pro-apple slant or something...

ahhell    1,303

I don't really care about Live integration but dammit gives us the Marketplace.

The Teej    203
why is it not as good? is this some kind of pro-apple slant or something...

Maybe because there isn't as much content? (I don't know, just assuming)

mad_onion    13

any extra video content will definately be good for the 360. but without music it's a bit disappointing....

George P    6,260

We don't know for sure about music or not, the 360 itself is more for videos though so they'll talk about videos before they talk about music.

Just have to wait a few more days till E3 and we'll get all the facts.

Smigit    7

Damn...I would have been pretty keen to get a subscription too...

edit: Or maybe not if it in fact is video only

coresx    41

Not including the music would be seriously daft. Imagine having all your songs on the go with Zune or through your great sound system. That would be fantastic.