New Metal Gear Solid Confirmed - Famitsu Scans

He lost his eye in Snake Eater by the muzzle flash of Young Ocelots revolver when it was close to his face, So if it is a Big Boss Metal Gear game it will have to be set sometime after 3 but before 2.

I'm pretty sure that next MGS will be multiplatform if it comes out.

I just really don't care of it at all. The story is such cheeseball and pretty dumb that it's like one of those annoying spanish soap operas with my brother is your father or your sister's mother type of thing that it's really annoying.

The story just goes on and on and rinse and repeat. I'll most likely skip this one if it comes out cause number 4 was such a waste of time and money with 80% of the game being videos and actual 20% being gameplay that was really nothing revolutionary.

What I am excited about is the new Splinter Cell that is being said is completley revamped and looks absolutely amazing both story wise and gameplay.

I'd suggest they stop making rehashes of the same game and come up with something unique.

I mean Japanese developers usually have this thing where they keep maknig the same thing over and over again and I don't understand really people that keep buying the same thing. FF 13 (freakin' 13th part), MGS 4 or 5 and a bunch of other titles like that.

I'm sure people are excited about this MGS5 rumor or however you want to call it but it's just getting really boring. Will it end already :)

I have to agree with you but i have a soft spot in my heart for Metal Gear Solid despite how cheesy it is, the cutscenes stretched my patience a bit in MGS4 but having backstory filled in was a massive payoff for me i am a massive fan of the Metal Gear series of games, as for gameplay i beg to differ MGS single handedly created the stealth sub-genre of games, each metal gear has brought something different to the genre and i loved the suit in MGS4 being able to chameleon against floors and walls and being able to take form of different bosses, the gun modifications and stuff and i love how topical and in the now Kojimas stories are, MGS1 was cold war stuff, MGS4 is the situation now in Iraq/Afghanistan with these massive Private Military Corporations.

The Raiden picture in the scans is interesting. Perhaps its a trophy patch and some Raiden DLC, with a new Metal Gear game starring Big Boss to come in the future?

Either way I'd be surprised if the two pictures were related. It's interesting that Raiden is wearing an eye patch though, but I still don't think its Gray Fox. Why would they make him look identical to Raiden?

Kojima: At this time, this middle aged man (●●●) is shown. Because this is the only thing that's show, I want everyone to think about what it is. For example how the ●●● appears.

Hamamura: Is this...Big Boss?

Kojima: How the ●●● appears is a little different

Hamamura: What? Different...?

●●● = 'main character' ?

'how the main character appears'

Maybe it is a raiden game, and that isnt Big Boss but solidus who was the one who originally picked raiden when he was a kid etc etc.

on of the aparent translations has kojima saying the platform is new or something.

I have to agree with you but i have a soft spot in my heart for Metal Gear Solid despite how cheesy it is, the cutscenes stretched my patience a bit in MGS4 but having backstory filled in was a massive payoff for me i am a massive fan of the Metal Gear series of games, as for gameplay i beg to differ MGS single handedly created the stealth sub-genre of games, each metal gear has brought something different to the genre and i loved the suit in MGS4 being able to chameleon against floors and walls and being able to take form of different bosses, the gun modifications and stuff and i love how topical and in the now Kojimas stories are, MGS1 was cold war stuff, MGS4 is the situation now in Iraq/Afghanistan with these massive Private Military Corporations.

Don't get me wrong..they were nice add-ons to the game and unique in their own way, but it isn't really anything revolutionary. It's more that when you played previous MGS games you didn't have some of this thing so adding these details and cool things like FPS view was definitely a positive. I just don't think it's that relevant to someone who picks up the game for the first time.

I'm sure that MGS is to thank for this genre. The game mechanic then was definitely new and unique, but when you start rehashing same things by just adding a few cool things to do you are only really satisfying your fanbase and not really introducing things that should be the goal of new games.

I finished MGS4 and it was a solid game. But the whole cheeseball story, the whole emphasis on geeky humor, women's breasts and stuff just didn't really get a positive result out of me. The top of the frustration was the obvious desire of Kojima to be some kind of action movie director but the guy simply doesn't have talent to make an immersive experience. He just went on with some dialogs that lasted forever, action scenes that should've lasted 2 mins tops and they last 15-20 mins etc etc. It was just too much.

If they make a new one I'd suggest, since they can't fix the story now, to get better writers, create more engaging experience and one that actually creates emotions in me and make kick ass video scenes that don't last longer then 2 mins each but you can use them often between action parts.

Milk milk milk

For all I care as long as they keep the standard of the game as high as they have been, they can milk MGS for all it's worth. Its a cracking franchise and I love it.

It's when companies milk a franchise and never build on it, the games get poorer and poorer. Thats when people should be shouting "Milk Milk Milk".

I'm gonna wait until more information is available before I get too excited though.

Maybe it is a raiden game, and that isnt Big Boss but solidus who was the one who originally picked raiden when he was a kid etc etc.

on of the aparent translations has kojima saying the platform is new or something.

Solidus lost his left eye if remember correctly.

EDIT: That was in MGS2 though, doh! Perhaps it is Solidus in that case, though I'm still hedging my bets with Big Boss!

For as cheesy and flawed as MGS can be it's one of the best character building games/stories in the industry which says a lot about the gaming industry and how immature it is compared to TV/Film.

I don't really think the MGS series is the game to rag on about poor stories with when some of the most popular gaming franchises out there have stories that could've been written by 5 year olds.

It has mounds of Japanese humour which can be quite off putting, but thank god it doesn't have too much of the Western touch, aka Aliens/Space Marines and Bald macho-man characters that insist on blowing everything up.

This shows how much of the interview is censored,

Hamamura: XXXXXXXXX's XXXXXX?

Kojima: But, XXXXXXXXX. It's XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Hamamura: Ah! I get it!!

Kojima: "XXXXX XXXXX XXX". Well, it's not "X", but a "X" kind of feeling. That's him. I can't say the title yet, but it's this kind of feeling. But it's the Metal Gear saga's tradition.

Hamamura: The time period is XXX?

Kojima: No, it's XXX. I'm saying everything, maybe XXXXX. I'm designing and directing all of this game.

Hamamura: Wha!

Kojima: I think the focus will be domestic, and we're launching it globally. For me, this is like "XXXX". I won't say "X", but a solid story has been created, and the MGS4 staff is making it.

Hamamura: Wow! That's great.

Kojima: This time, only the image of this guy (image) will appear. Then lighting. Just this appearing, I wan everyone to guess. This is how XX's will be appearing.

Hamamura: This...is Big Boss?

Kojima: XX's way of appearing is slightly different.

Hamamura: Eh? Different...?

Kojima: The emblem on this guy's hat is important.

Hamamura: The emblem isn't a fox. There's like a world map thing drawn.

Kojima: It's not only an emblem, but for the game, it will be a new type of system.

Hamamura: Is it XX-XXXXXXXXXX?

Kojima: Yes. You'll while XXXXXXX. XXXX, etc. are a given, so they'll be included. Ooops, I've said more than I was planning to. (laughs)

Hamamura: Hahahahaha! Well XXXXXX, it's XXXXXXX? Also, where's the game going to be set?

Kojima: The place is XXXXXXX. XXXXXXXXX happened, and it's a XXXXX type of country. There isn't XXXXXXXX in the country, but they do have XX like things and XXXX. At that time, XXXXXX come to where the guy is.

Kojima: The theme is XX. XXXXX kinda thing or XXX theme, or XXXXXXXXXXXX, or why is there X, that's where we're drawing. Maybe everyone is probably thinking, "This sermon again!" Maybe this sermon will become a genre. (laughs)

Hamamura: Ahahahaha!

Kojima: This is quite a deep interview.

Hamamura: So true!

What is re-assuring though

Kojima: No, it's XXX. I'm saying everything, maybe XXXXX. I'm designing and directing all of this game.

:woot:

Rumour before was his younger team were going to take over!

Edited by Audioboxer

Metal Gear Solid 4 was such a disappointment. It had well over the top cutscenes which gave you about 10% gameplay with 90% of the time watching (N)

I never got the deal with Hideo Kojima, He got all the hype surrounding the release of MGS4 as being AMAZING! but it true it was quite weak. The story sucked to be honest and the cutscenes were just ridiculous being far too long and way too boring aswell.

If Hideo can prove that MGS5 will have gameplay as it's PRIMARY goal over OTT cutscenes, then it might just be good.

Personally i think Hideo Kojima should stop MGS, He is turning what was a great game (MGS1) into a bore-fest.

For all I care as long as they keep the standard of the game as high as they have been, they can milk MGS for all it's worth. Its a cracking franchise and I love it.

It's when companies milk a franchise and never build on it, the games get poorer and poorer. Thats when people should be shouting "Milk Milk Milk".

I'm gonna wait until more information is available before I get too excited though.

I never said the standard dropped, although the cutscene length needs to be lowered in this new game, that's for certain.

Hideo is definitely becoming a one trick pony though. He said he wanted to move away from MGS, but you can bet Sony and Konami have forced him to do more. Hell I am saying this and there is a high chance it could come to the 360. I'm just getting bored with the MGS universe now.

I think its time to give up on the current (overall) story arc, maybe look at another unit in the mgs universe other than foxhound, maybe a russian counterpart.

Don't get me wrong..they were nice add-ons to the game and unique in their own way, but it isn't really anything revolutionary. It's more that when you played previous MGS games you didn't have some of this thing so adding these details and cool things like FPS view was definitely a positive. I just don't think it's that relevant to someone who picks up the game for the first time.

I'm sure that MGS is to thank for this genre. The game mechanic then was definitely new and unique, but when you start rehashing same things by just adding a few cool things to do you are only really satisfying your fanbase and not really introducing things that should be the goal of new games.

I finished MGS4 and it was a solid game. But the whole cheeseball story, the whole emphasis on geeky humor, women's breasts and stuff just didn't really get a positive result out of me. The top of the frustration was the obvious desire of Kojima to be some kind of action movie director but the guy simply doesn't have talent to make an immersive experience. He just went on with some dialogs that lasted forever, action scenes that should've lasted 2 mins tops and they last 15-20 mins etc etc. It was just too much.

If they make a new one I'd suggest, since they can't fix the story now, to get better writers, create more engaging experience and one that actually creates emotions in me and make kick ass video scenes that don't last longer then 2 mins each but you can use them often between action parts.

I get what you are saying but you could say that about any game these days, what where the differences between Gears of War and Gears of War 2 nothing revolutionary just more of the same with added extras, with Metal Gear they tried to push the boundaries, MGS had stealth, MGS2 had the ability to play through the game without killing anyone whatsoever and first person view, MGS3 introduced camouflage and locational damage for example snake could fracture a limb and if not treated properly he would limp and move slower affecting the gameplay also introducing the CQC system, MGS4 had the Active Camouflage, the Metal Gear Mark 2, 2 faction system where you could play them off against each other.

I wouldnt call any of the Metal Gear games rehashes as they all brought something new to the franchise and not just a few extra guns and items like most sequels.

The cutscenes are quite obsessive in MGS4 and im not trying to justify anything but Kojima said MGS4 was for the fans, it was meant to tie up all the loose ends in these epically long scenes.

i wish that metal gear wouldnt have so much cutscening....why cant they do it abit like some of the Western shooters where the characters talk without entering a cutscene...

surely they would want to keep the interactivity to the maximum, and only break into a cutscene when its absolutely necessary (torture scenes, close character interaction, actions you cant perform in-game, etc)

sure, holding the 'game pose' while talking to people looks slightly akward, and you risk breaking the game by moving around where your not supposed to, but i think the seamlessness and consistency will be worth the tradeoff...

Edited by carmatic

Yay for the haters. I have a solution, don't buy the game.

What is that interview a riddle or something? dammit. The game I want is Raiden rescuing Sunny, working for Big Mama, getting Big Boss body. That would make a good story. But looking at that interview it doesn't look like is going to be a Raiden game.

Theres no reason to believe that its only one game, there could be a portable version with raiden or bigboss then a console game with the other.

Theres no reason to believe that its only one game, there could be a portable version with raiden or bigboss then a console game with the other.

Yeah they don't mention Raiden in the interview (I think) so that could happen. I hope.