DO NOT install SP2 if your using ESET smart security or antivirus

update from eset: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2254

Apparently ESET is asleep because they didn't tell people that smart security and anti virus wont work with SP2. SP2 will BSOD several times on the 3rd step of install, it *might* install successfully after a few BSOD however eset smart security/antivirus will not work, real time protection and firewall will be disabled.

from this post

Hello,

An issue with ESET's V4 software and Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 2008 has been identified and the developers are working on a solution for it. Currently, I do not have any information about when it will be available or what form it will take, but as soon as more information is available it will be provided.

A special thanks to those who sent in ESET SysInspector logs to help troubleshoot the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

read more about it:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241025

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Edited by Gabe3

i had this issue, even after reinstalling it with sp2 it has many problems

yeah, even if SP2 installs with eset running, eset won't work with SP2. what I did was just uninstalled SP2 and things are working again. I really didn't think I was going to have compatibility problems with SP2. Someone screwed up somewhere because so many people are going to install SP2 and get BSOD on the last phase of install, and have their eset broken. ESET needs to get an update out within their software.

Do you guys have any tips on how to remove it from my system? I tried to do it in Safe Mode, but my mouse and keyboard don't work in safe mode. :/

This is just for SP2 RTM, right? I've been running SP2 v286 for a while now with NOD32 AV, and I've seen no problems. If it's just for the RTM, thanks for warning me. I was planning to install it this evening.

NOD32 V2.7 still works perfectly. (Tested on multiple machines)

I'd recommend downgrading to this version temporarily while ESET fixes the problem.

Do you guys have any tips on how to remove it from my system? I tried to do it in Safe Mode, but my mouse and keyboard don't work in safe mode. :/

remove what? eset or SP2, I'd recommend removing sp2. if you tried removing eset, but it failed to remove, try removing SP2 and then reinstall eset, if that doesn't work you'll have to manually remove eset from safe mode. heres how(guide is for written for 3.0 but worked for me on 4.0)

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN558

To uninstall SP2:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click Programs.

3. Under Programs and Features, click View installed updates.

4. On the Uninstall an update page, click Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB948465), and then click Uninstall.

5. Follow the instructions on your screen.

(if you don't see the update just wait for the list of updates to load, it could take a minute)

does your mouse/keyboard work in vista SP1 or what? Did it work in XP? It might be something you need to enable in your bios in the peripheral area. are you using an old computer or something,? try googling.

Umm, well I'm not really sure what I did right then. I installed SP2 on three different computers today; mine at home and two at work. They all had ESET v4.0 and are all working.

Umm, well I'm not really sure what I did right then. I installed SP2 on three different computers today; mine at home and two at work. They all had ESET v4.0 and are all working.

Same here. I haven't experienced any issues so far.

vista 32 or 64bit ?

Vista 64bit on my system (the one in my signature). The two at work at both x84 I believe. I am also still receiving definition updates like normal.

My wife's PC has Vista SP2 (x86) with ESET Smart Security 4.0 and has had no issues. My PC and laptop both run Windows 7 (x64) with ESET Smart Security 4.0 as well, with no issues. It should be noted that on my wife's PC, SP2 was installed AFTER I already had ESET up and running - it wasn't a slipstream clean install or anything, just the update from Microsoft Update.

Is it just me or are the people that are having problems not using 4.0?

it a problem with 4.0. I removed SP2 and things are working fine. I'm just going to wait till eset gets a update out and then reinstall SP2.

Hello,

An issue with ESET's V4 software and Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 2008 has been identified and the developers are working on a solution for it. Currently, I do not have any information about when it will be available or what form it will take, but as soon as more information is available it will be provided.

A special thanks to those who sent in ESET SysInspector logs to help troubleshoot the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Weird well you should send them a follow up email with links to this post to let them know that some people are running fine. I would be glad to send in a log if they need it.

I have SP2 installed and have no problems so far with ESET Smart Security. Maybe I'm just not using like other people do :)

Weird well you should send them a follow up email with links to this post to let them know that some people are running fine. I would be glad to send in a log if they need it.

I havn't sent in any emails since they are aware of the problem, I did just make a post with a link this thread here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....d=1#post1474699

i guess its a hit or miss thing.

NOD32's fast becoming a joke. It used to be right up there with Kaspersky but now it's falling further and further behind with its inadequate malware detection and increase of false positives. Even its claim that it's super light on resources is no longer true, as it now uses as much as any of the bigger names out there (save McAfee which will always be the biggest hog).

remove what? eset or SP2, I'd recommend removing sp2. if you tried removing eset, but it failed to remove, try removing SP2 and then reinstall eset, if that doesn't work you'll have to manually remove eset from safe mode. heres how(guide is for written for 3.0 but worked for me on 4.0)

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN558

does your mouse/keyboard work in vista SP1 or what? Did it work in XP? It might be something you need to enable in your bios in the peripheral area. are you using an old computer or something,? try googling.

My mouse and keyboard (Logitech Wave w/mouse) work fine in windows Vista. I have a new computer and I have never had this problem before. I think I might just uninstall SP2.

I am also runnign v.4.0.

NOD32's fast becoming a joke. It used to be right up there with Kaspersky but now it's falling further and further behind with its inadequate malware detection and increase of false positives. Even its claim that it's super light on resources is no longer true, as it now uses as much as any of the bigger names out there (save McAfee which will always be the biggest hog).

Proof?

Uh what? I know they have become the favorite to hate on lately but I haven't had any false positives yet. It has kept my system pristine. Right now Equi.exe is using 3,996K of my ram which is barely scratching the surface.

Please take it elsewhere.

I am having Vista x64 SP2 BSODs even without this program installed. I uninstalled Norton 360 but still SP2 gives me the dreaded Driver_IRQ_Not_Less_or_equal with a stop error. SP2 appears to have issues!