[rel] Gmail Notifier Plus for Windows 7

I just downloaded v1.2 and to test it I just marked 100 emails as unread and put them in my inbox. Sure, it detects 100 emails, but it still shows 50 in the badge on the icon. I can browse the emails in the thumbnail preview, but at number 20 the .NET Framework crashes. I will give you the crash report, but it's in Dutch:

Zie het einde van dit bericht voor meer informatie over het aanroepen

van JIT-foutopsporing (Just In Time) in plaats van dit dialoogvenster.

************** Tekst van uitzondering **************

System.NullReferenceException: De objectverwijzing is niet op een exemplaar van een object ingesteld.

bij GmailNotifierPlus.Main.UpdateMailPreview()

bij GmailNotifierPlus.Main.nextButton_Clicked(Object sender, EventArgs e)

bij Windows7.DesktopIntegration.ThumbButton.FireClick()

bij Windows7.DesktopIntegration.ThumbButtonManager.DispatchMessage(Message& message)

bij GmailNotifierPlus.Main.WndProc(Message& m)

bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladen assembly's **************

mscorlib

Assembly-versie: 2.0.0.0

Win32-versie: 2.0.50727.4918 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Gmail Notifier Plus

Assembly-versie: 1.2.0.0

Win32-versie: 1.2.0.0

CodeBase: file:///D:/Downloads/Gmail%20Notifier%20Plus/Gmail%20Notifier%20Plus.exe

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Web

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll

mscorlib.resources

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

System.Core

Assembly-versie: 3.5.0.0

Win32-versie: 3.5.30729.4918 built by: NetFXw7

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Data

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

System.Windows.Forms.resources

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_nl_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

************** JIT-foutopsporing **************

Als u JIT-foutopsporing wilt inschakelen, moet in het configuratiebestand voor deze

toepassing of computer (machine.config) de waarde

jitDebugging in het gedeelte system.windows.forms zijn ingesteld.

De toepassing moet ook zijn gecompileerd terwijl foutopsporing

was ingeschakeld.

Bijvoorbeeld:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

Wanneer JIT-foutopsporing is ingeschakeld, worden onverwerkte uitzonderingen

naar het JIT-foutopsporingsprogramma gestuurd dat op de computer is geregistreerd

en worden niet door dit dialoogvenster verwerkt.

I just downloaded v1.2 and to test it I just marked 100 emails as unread and put them in my inbox. Sure, it detects 100 emails, but it still shows 50 in the badge on the icon. I can browse the emails in the thumbnail preview, but at number 20 the .NET Framework crashes. I will give you the crash report, but it's in Dutch:

I receive the same crash at number 20. Didnt know until i decided to check after reading your message. If it matters i can provide the crash report in english.

you're not the only one and what's causing this is unknown yet... you will have to wait for a solution..

good to know im not the only one. its not so bothersome to me at the time so no big deal

About multiple accounts support, I think I almost got it. But what to do with unread mail counter if you have grouping enabled?

I'd like to have multiple counters with different colors, if possible :D

About mailboxes with 100 or more unread messages, I suggest to use something like "99+" as counter :)

Jesus I have that many emails.. actually more, but only about 2 unread.

unless you count the spam folder :p

Love this app! Can I request support for Small Icon mode in the Win7 taskbar. You can set this by right clicking the Start orb, choosing Properties, selecting the Taskbar tab and checking "Use small icons".

Thanks!

damn, it stopped showing.... :crazy:

maybe the next version will work properly for me. *edit* nope :crazy:

my suggestion for the multiple accounts unread you could have multiple badges and the badges in different colours (I'm Canadian so that spelling is correct).

here is my mock up/example

33m6c6e-1.jpg

and media fire is a good hosting site. it doesn't require users to sign up to download

i would also like to see sound notification or even a pop up notification implemented, because I'm not always looking at my taskbar

Cool idea but then people will show up and say it sucks when you have 10 accounts at the same time :D I think I'll just display the total of unread messages for all accounts.

Really nice! When will there be a sound warning? (I always open mail by warning sound, not by looking at the taskbar)

By the way, when I click the inbox, it opens in 2 tabs in Firefox. Any idea why it opens dually?

Edit: Just a little idea: when there is mail, maybe you can make the M blue, like in the old notifier. This was always

very effective for me and can be seen from a distance.

Something like this:

gmail_notifier.png

The sound warning will definitely be in the next version. About the blue icon, I've thought about that too but when you have the application pinned, changing the icon has not effect :(

Can you please make those badges bigger? It's too small!

I'll probably add an option for that too in the next version.

You made those overlay badges manually? Ewwww

Programmers don't do that...

Just dynamically draw text to blank icon. It's actually not that hard, I've done it. Making that into an icon afterwards is a bit harder but Microsoft has a sample like that in their free ebook.

I know it sucks but I've never been able to find a good example for doing that. And since I wrote this app for myself at first, I said "screw it, it's working fine like that" :D If you can give me a good example, I'll gladly change it.

I receive the same crash at number 20. Didnt know until i decided to check after reading your message. If it matters i can provide the crash report in english.

good to know im not the only one. its not so bothersome to me at the time so no big deal

Thanks, I'll look into it :)

Love this app! Can I request support for Small Icon mode in the Win7 taskbar. You can set this by right clicking the Start orb, choosing Properties, selecting the Taskbar tab and checking "Use small icons".

Thanks!

I've been trying to add it in the last version by changing the application icon since the overlay icons are not supported in small icon mode. Then I discovered that doing that has no effect when you have the icon pinned so I have no solution at the moment.

Just found this @ thehotfix.net

You shoudl contact them because the user didnt give you any credits for it.

I hope you left a "author" page in the program becuase no one knows YOU made it on that site.

It is using a simple HTTP request so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Are using a regular account or a Google Apps account?

it's a regular Gmail account.

i still need to authenticate to HTTP over the proxy because i've not added my computer to the domain. When i use applications that access the internet e.g. windows update, a box pops up asking for cresidentials but doesn't with this app.

i'm assuming proxy settings with username/password would fix this (where needed)

Just found this @ thehotfix.net

You shoudl contact them because the user didnt give you any credits for it.

I hope you left a "author" page in the program becuase no one knows YOU made it on that site.

Yeah, good thing I put my name in there :)

I figured out why this is happening and it kinda sucks: the Gmail RSS feed only show the first 20 messages. Looks like I'll have to move to something else like IMAP :(

I figured out why this is happening and it kinda sucks: the Gmail RSS feed only show the first 20 messages. Looks like I'll have to move to something else like IMAP :(

Isn't the RSS feed configurable to something more than 20 emails?

would love to see an option to stick it in the system tray.

erm, doesn't that just give you back the standard gmail notifier functionality? The whole purpose of this one is that it's moved from the system tray to the new superbar wotsit (with jumplists)

my password had some characters like @ and #

login to gmail websitedidn't work then (mailcheck worked).

removed @# and it's working now

Ah thanks, just fixed it :)

erm, doesn't that just give you back the standard gmail notifier functionality? The whole purpose of this one is that it's moved from the system tray to the new superbar wotsit (with jumplists)

yes. but more options the better =)

Great app! Definitely the coolest solution for Gmail and Windows 7 so far.

I'm having a problem however. Whenever I have unread mail, when I right click the icon (pinned to taskbar), I no longer see the jumplist. Even after i mark the message read, I have to restart the app before i see the jumplist again. I have the problem in 1.1 and 1.2.

Any ideas? Thanks!

post-229520-1244145872.jpg

All of those jumplist problems are mostly from Microsofts buggy 7destkop interop dlls. They didn't test them very well.

Also, yes using the actual emails instead of RSS would be good as it would also allow a mark as read feature.

Also, pinning an email does nothing since you repopulate the list each right click. Why not disable the pin button in the jumplist object?

Everything works except the automatic mail check,

i set it on 5 minutes. There is new mail but it never shows the blue circle.

When ik check manualy it works...

All of those jumplist problems are mostly from Microsofts buggy 7destkop interop dlls. They didn't test them very well.

Also, yes using the actual emails instead of RSS would be good as it would also allow a mark as read feature.

Also, pinning an email does nothing since you repopulate the list each right click. Why not disable the pin button in the jumplist object?

Yeah I guess this is the problem. I think they will release the final version of the dlls around the time Windows 7 goes RTM. Hopefully it will be fixed by then. I'd love to remove the pin button but it doesn't seem possible at the moment.

Also setting check time to 0 seems to cause it to never check. (I'm assuming you just multiply the time by 60?)

How do you set it to 0? The application doesn't allow that :D

I can't remove items from the list. I can click it, remove, but it doesn't happen.

That's because I didn't put any code to do it because I didn't think it would be useful. But now that you mention it, I think it could be useful if you want to see messages that couldn't be displayed before because of the jump list item limit.