[rel] Gmail Notifier Plus for Windows 7

Something happened from 1.1 to 1.2 that fixed my jumplist problem in Win7RC x64. I had to run it in XP SP3 caompat. mode before to get them - now I have them running the exe as normal. Appears to be fixed on my end.

Hi first of all Great job !!

Well, do you think is it possible to open another instance of it?

I'd like to work with 2 accounts at Gmail.

Thanks in advance !!

That is fantastic! If I didn't already use Outlook, I would certainly be using this.
Yeah, same here. I really want to use it, but as I use Outlook it's pointless to :p

You guys really use Outlook to handle Gmail? Don't you hate how it kills "threaded" convos?

Could someone upload GmailNotifierPlus-v1.2.zip to somewhere else, please? (preferably localhostr, as Mediafire is blocked here, and I can't seem to download it even with a web proxy.

Yes, by the way, when I click Compose Mail, it sends me is not to create a new letter, but just in a inbox.

Win 7.7201, Opera 10b1

This is a nice app for those who like to use the Gmail interface. That was all I used for a while. For those of you who like a dedicated program, but cant stand outlook and cant get Thunderbird to be really seamless with Gmail, try Postbox. Its lightweight, based on Firefox, has seamless Gmail integration and some good extra organizational tools. http://www.postbox-inc.com/

hi, i just registered to say thank you for sharing this app. i am not a programer but i really like both, the idea and the implementation of the notifier. it seems to be caching up with win7 users and i really hope to see it grow. i didn't have the time to read the entire thread yet, but i noticed there was an issue with some people using 64bit windows. i am using version 1.2 with 7201 x64 and as far as i can tell everything works as expected. one feature that i would like to see would be the ability to open the default email client when i click on the notifier, instead of the browser.

again, all the best daty2k1, and thanks for this app.

will.

Thanks for the great application! I just wanted to point out a little bug I've noticed: sometimes the background of the Aero Peek preview of the notifier turns black. The attached image should give you a better idea of what's going on. Let me know if you need any extra info. I'm running Windows 7 RC x64.

Thanks again!

post-300272-1244421511.jpg

Edit: There's probably no way to do this, but can it be eliminated from the Alt-Tab screen? Thanks!

Edited by panetrez

Thanks for the great application! I just wanted to point out a little bug I've noticed: sometimes the background of the Aero Peek preview of the notifier turns black. The attached image should give you a better idea of what's going on. Let me know if you need any extra info. I'm running Windows 7 RC x64.

Thanks again!

Yeah, same thing happens to me sometimes.

Updated with new version 1.2 Get it here.

What's new in 1.2:

- Google Apps support (Thanks abirdd for the account :))

- Application will no longer appear first in alt-tab

- Fixed mail counter in preview when there are more than 99 unread messages

- Additional bug fixing

What's new in 1.1:

- Updated unread counter icon to make it clearer

- Added multi-language support: English, French and Spanish (thanks Demgel!) at the moment.

- Added automatic login to gmail when opening a message or the inbox

I'd like to thank Chris Ivarson (which I completely forgot to do when I first released the app, sorry!) for his great Gmail icon.

Hello everyone. I've been a member of this forum for a while now but I've never actually contributed. So for my first post, I'd like to present you a little tool I've made:

As you have probably guessed, this is a Windows 7 only mail notifier that will sit in the taskbar:

ngwrvb.pngfaq2on.png

It allows you to see a preview of all unread mails you have. Clicking on the button in the center will open the mail in Gmail:

nwy43o.png2wqtkw4.png

Unread mails are also accessible from the jump list. Clicking on one of them will also open it in Gmail.

33m6c6e.png

And that's about it! It is using Gmail secured RSS feed to retrieve the mails so it should be pretty safe. Credentials are saved using a machine's dependent encryption. Here are some more screens:

281x3t1.pngmt1hlv.png2ymuhk5.png

Of course, feel free to report any bug you might encounter :)

Nice little app. One suggestion...honor the default browser when opening the inbox or selecting compose mail or make it configurable for which browser (assuming multiple installed) should be used for gmail activity.

I cant in any way access the change account settings, it shows in the popup view, but when i click it nothing happens. I wanted to change it because i typed @gmail.com in the first box

Yes, by the way, when I click Compose Mail, it sends me is not to create a new letter, but just in a inbox.

Win 7.7201, Opera 10b1

Works fine for me with Firefox but looks like it doesn't work with IE either. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Neowin-hosted link (feel free to update the original post): http://staff.neowin.net/rob/gnp-12.zip

Thanks, I'll update the original post :)

Thanks again!

Edit: There's probably no way to do this, but can it be eliminated from the Alt-Tab screen? Thanks!

Happens to me only when my graphic driver crashes. Does anything happen before you notice that?

Nice little app. One suggestion...honor the default browser when opening the inbox or selecting compose mail or make it configurable for which browser (assuming multiple installed) should be used for gmail activity.

It should be opening in your default browser as I don't specify any specific browser when opening the link. It handled by Windows. It is working fine for me when I change my default browser.

I cant in any way access the change account settings, it shows in the popup view, but when i click it nothing happens. I wanted to change it because i typed @gmail.com in the first box

A few people reported this bug as well. I haven't found what the problem is yet but it doesn't matter if you typed @gmail.com, it should be working fine too.

^

The only way i can re-access the options in this case is by closing the app. and re-open it. Then i have the options menu again.

Didnt notice yet what is the reason that causes this problem.

edit here:

i was replying to

Quote - (Douglas Martins @ Jun 8 2009, 19:19)

Happens to me only when my graphic driver crashes. Does anything happen before you notice that?

Same reason here.

I'm really starting to think that all these issues are just bugs in the Windows 7 API for .NET. Wouldn't be too surprising considering it's still in beta. According to the MSDN page, final version should be released around the time Windows 7 goes RTM. Hopefully it will be working fine for everyone :)

Same reason here.

Ok. Haven't found a way to prevent that yet :(

Where do i go to clear the program cache? because even when i close it and then open it the window with login doesnt appear

I'm really starting to think that all these issues are just bugs in the Windows 7 API for .NET. Wouldn't be too surprising considering it's still in beta. According to the MSDN page, final version should be released around the time Windows 7 goes RTM. Hopefully it will be working fine for everyone :)

actually i think its just a bug in Win7 lol.. coz other programs don't have the jumplist working properly either.. i just found out that it's supposed to keep track of your latest opened file in the jumplist, but for some reason it seems that the jumplist is disabled.. screenshot:

post-295134-1244488562_thumb.jpg

EDIT:

OK! i got it i think!

This worked for me:

1. Right click on Windows Orb

2. Click on Properties

3. Click on Start Menu tab

4. Make sure Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar is checked

5. Then click on Customize

6. Make sure Number of recent items to display in Jump Lists is however many unread emails you want to have shown in jump list!

7. Click on OK then again on OK

if the problem is solved for others using this solution, i guess its not a bug after all lol :p

Edited by thehosh