32" 1080p

saxondale.

I'm looking to buy 32" 1080p tv but there are so many! By budget is about ?450 and found few Samsung's but i'm not too sure what the latest model is in that range (5 series). Any recommendations? I'm looking for something in the new line, what ever the brand is.

Sethos

1080p at 32"? How pointless :/

DaDude

Yeah, true. Saxondale, just buy a 720p TV and save some money. The Samsung LN32B460 looks like a pretty good TV and can be found for a good price.

HawkMan

indeed, even on a 37 you have to be sitting on top of the tv to make any use of 1080.

saxondale.

Oh ok, never mind then. Another question; when it says it's got built in freeview, do i still need an ariel or is it built it? If it does need one, can i get any old ariel?

SonComet

Will you be using this as a secondary computer monitor or just a tv? 1080p would have it's benefits even if you can't see the extra detail. 1:1 pixel mapping will eliminate scaling artifacts on 1080p content and allow you to have 0% overscan on 1080p and 1080i content. I myself have a pioneer 1150HD that I bought in very early 08. Though I sit too far to benefit from 1080p detail, I would certainly not mind those 2 benefits. In my case a 1080p model would have more than doubled the price and I was at my spending limit for my tv and sound system as it was. I also have a 50pz800u that I sit the same distance from in another room. It's a worse looking tv than the pioneer, but 1080p has it's benefits on certain sources even at 10ft (pc ones especially).

Numpad

i believe u still need an arial... its recomended to use one mounted on the roof of your house

HawkMan
Will you be using this as a secondary computer monitor or just a tv? 1080p would have it's benefits even if you can't see the extra detail. 1:1 pixel mapping will eliminate scaling artifacts on 1080p content and allow you to have 0% overscan on 1080p and 1080i content. I myself have a pioneer 1150HD that I bought in very early 08. Though I sit too far to benefit from 1080p detail, I would certainly not mind those 2 benefits. In my case a 1080p model would have more than doubled the price and I was at my spending limit for my tv and sound system as it was. I also have a 50pz800u that I sit the same distance from in another room. It's a worse looking tv than the pioneer, but 1080p has it's benefits on certain sources even at 10ft (pc ones especially).

Content wills scale form 1080 to 720 just fine.

also overscan has nothing to do with the resolution, there are 1080 tv's that won't allow 1:1 pixel mapping as well. In fact I think Pioneer is one of them.

Gavin001

Really depends where you live when it comes to freeview i aint to sure wat the signal is like over there for you guys in England you may get away with a amplified digital aerial! but really to get the best pic and be sure to get all the channels having an outside aerial in your house is the best way to go :)

SonComet
Content wills scale form 1080 to 720 just fine.

also overscan has nothing to do with the resolution, there are 1080 tv's that won't allow 1:1 pixel mapping as well. In fact I think Pioneer is one of them.

Pioneer's 1080p models have 1:1 modes for 1080i/p, I know several people that own them and they all due (even the first fhd1). And since when is just fine what we're really all after? I have no idea what you're talking about with your overscan comment. I think you're confused about what I was saying. Overscan means the image is stretched and scaled, which even with the most expensive scalars causes at least some degradation to the source. It's nice to be able to disable on the best sources like blu-ray and hd-dvd.

saxondale.

Using the rooftop ariel won't be possible in my case. I'll also be sitting pretty close to the tv, probably a couple feet way.

OOOOOOOO
I'm looking to buy 32" 1080p tv but there are so many! By budget is about ?450 and found few Samsung's but i'm not too sure what the latest model is in that range (5 series). Any recommendations? I'm looking for something in the new line, what ever the brand is.

Do some reviews and you'll find some better spec'd 32 inch 720p screens. You have to realise that until you get to around 48 inches, 1080p makes little difference ... at 32 inch, quite literally no difference. What you wanna look out for is contrast ratios, and check out the color and display qualities.

Seriously, either get a larger screen or get a better spec 720p at 32".

:))

Btw ... I did the same and I have a 32" Samsung with a nice spec at 720p. I seriously blow people away with the screen.

HawkMan
Pioneer's 1080p models have 1:1 modes for 1080i/p, I know several people that own them and they all due (even the first fhd1). And since when is just fine what we're really all after? I have no idea what you're talking about with your overscan comment. I think you're confused about what I was saying. Overscan means the image is stretched and scaled, which even with the most expensive scalars causes at least some degradation to the source. It's nice to be able to disable on the best sources like blu-ray and hd-dvd.

Overscan means the image is bigger than the screen, i.e. the screen will cut off a certain percentage of the top and bottom of the image. This has nothing to do with 1080 or 720 modes. It's simply what some screens will do, some do it on everythign some never do it, some do it depending on the input used and depending on the refresh rate used.

And the point is that on a 32 inch, he won't notice the difference between 1080p and 720p. scaled or not. the scalers are simply too good. whatever artifacts there would have have been are lost in the size of the image. Much smarter to get a good 720 32 inch screen than a crap 1080 one.

SonComet
Overscan means the image is bigger than the screen, i.e. the screen will cut off a certain percentage of the top and bottom of the image. This has nothing to do with 1080 or 720 modes. It's simply what some screens will do, some do it on everythign some never do it, some do it depending on the input used and depending on the refresh rate used.

And the point is that on a 32 inch, he won't notice the difference between 1080p and 720p. scaled or not. the scalers are simply too good. whatever artifacts there would have have been are lost in the size of the image. Much smarter to get a good 720 32 inch screen than a crap 1080 one.

Name these models then. What 720p set can do no over scan on sources other than 1360x768P, or one of it's 1366/1365 variants depending on the tv? What 1080p set can scale every signal to 1080p and display it with no over scan? It is far more common to be able to have 1:1 pixel mapping and no scaling on a 1080p set if only for the reason that 1080i tv and 1080p movies are pretty standard these days.

I know a few tvs exist that can do 1:1 on any signal and letter box it, but I have yet to see a tv that without the help of an external video processor can scale every single resolution it receives to native and display it with 0% over scan. Maybe you can enlighten me? This was the reason that back in the day it became desirable to buy a 768p flat panel that could accept native resolution over DVI/hdmi and buy an external video processor that could scale everything to 768p.

How can you make the call that someone won't notice those artifacts? Most TVs have atrocious built-in scalars unless you buy on the super high end. It may be good enough for you, but shouldn't you let others make that call for themselves? Have you ever output 1080p from a PC to a 768p set letting it downscale it, and then output 1360x768p to it with 1:1 pixel mapping and no over scan to it? The difference is visible, though certainly reduced a great degree on video sources vs still images. A 1080p set offers a person more opportunities to eliminate scaling and over scan. Depending on a person's needs that may not matter, but I won't pretend to be able to tell someone that they won't see a difference in these situations. I'll let them decide what's good for them.

I think you should do some more research on how 99% of the tvs sold today process the video signals they receive from the sources we have available today. Your blanket statements are incorrect for the vast majority of the market.

I am Reid

If you are using it to just watch tv then 1080p is flatout pointless, you will not get any 1080p content. The question is are you going to be using this with an xbox or bluray player.

DaDude
Much smarter to get a good 720 32 inch screen than a crap 1080 one.

+1

saxondale.

Do any of you know the difference between the Samsung LE32B450 and the LE32A451? I can't find anything.

edit: is the Samsung LN32B460 a US name? I can't find that model in the UK.

Edited by saxondale.
Brandon

Yeah, my parents got a Samsung 1080p 23" LCD.. I was like... why?

bangbang023
If you are using it to just watch tv then 1080p is flatout pointless, you will not get any 1080p content. The question is are you going to be using this with an xbox or bluray player.

But you'd still get 1080i content that could be pixel matched on the 1080p screen.

Either way, as already stated, 1080p is pointless at the 32" size. It's not viable until, about, 42".

xjakehx

Still, if you live in england which I'm guessing you do buy your budget currency, then you should go check out https://www.currysauction.co.uk/

I bought my 32" sony tv from there, from the currys website it cost ?849 but from there as it was a returned fully working item I got it for only ?350!!

it has a contrast ratio of 80,000:1 and uses the bravia engine, also it does 1080p but I only use it for 720p as my player cant handle 1080p as of yet.

I really recommend giving this site a once over.

P.S one good thing about the site is that when you win an auction, you have 7 days to pay for the item, and if you realise your bid was just a spur of the moment thing, or you found a better deal somewhere else, you can cancel i:):)

DaDude
edit: is the Samsung LN32B460 a US name? I can't find that model in the UK.

Yes. Sorry about that. I live in the U.S.

sundayx

I've been looking at the LN32B360 what the hell is the difference?

saxondale.

Yeah, the names are really confusing me.

S550

I placed my 720P next to my dads 1080p, (both 32in) and i could BARELY see any difference, just a little on very high speed/action stuff, but my brother and dad saw no difference, so it may have just been my eyes playing tricks.

My dads is a very nice TV though, a 32in 1080p Samsung, not sure of the model.

shockz

The only benefit of 1080p on that size of TV would be if you are planning on using it as a desktop monitor.

Otherwise go with 720p. You won't notice the difference.