Home Theatre Set Up Help!

Alright so my dad got a new 52" Sony Bravia HDTV for our living room today, as well as a Sony 5.1 Speaker set (Sony HTSF360 is the model).

Other devices we're going to be using are the Playstation 3, as well as a regular DVD player (has digital coaxial) and a HDTV PVR box.

My question is HOW would make this setup work? Which wire goes where?

I understand that my PS3 is going to have an HDMI cable going from the PS3 --> Speaker HDMI Input, and then from the Speaker HDMI Output I will have another HDMI cable going into the TV.

Next, for my DVD player, I'm going to have a Digital Coaxial cable going from my DVD player --> Speaker Digital Coaxial Input (I'm guessing I won't need another HDMI cable going from the speaker set to the TV since I already have one? If that's even possible since the speaker set only has 1 HDMI Output THIS is where I'm confused)

Now for my HDTV PVR box, I'm going to have another HDMI cable from the PVR box --> HDMI INPUT on my TV set, and if my knowledge isn't fundamentally flawed this should make whatever channel I am watching on TV play sound through the TV speakers?

I've never had to set something like this up before, so before the TV and Speakers actually arrive (on Tuesday) I want to make sure I've got the right idea.

Thanks for all your help. Here's a diagram of what I'm thinking of doing; let me know if it makes any sense / if it is supposed to work this way. As the image states, the 5 speakers + subwoofer have been omitted for simplicity purposes.

hometheatre.jpg

EDIT: "Home Theatre System" would be the thing that the 5 speakers + subwoofer are connected to. I have no idea what that's called in the AV world.

Sorry for the "noob" questions it's not often I get a project such as this shoved at me, particularily in an area not of my expertise. Many thanks in advance for those who have/will be helping :)

Edited by shift.

No expert, but seems fine. TV to the cinema system needs 1 wire (the HDMI output). PS3 and PVR connect to cinema system using 1 HDMI wire each, and DVD player with the coaxial.

HDMI cable from the PVR box --> the third HDMI INPUT

Isn't that the 2nd HDMI input? Or did I just miscount?

Enjoy anyway!

Diagram is exactly what I want to do. Ignore any other inconsistencies in the text sorry for confusion. (After looking at it again, yes it is the SECOND HDMI input)

My Speaker system has 3x HDMI Input and 1x HDMI Output, while my TV has 4x HDMI (I have no idea if this is input or output; I would assume it's input 'cause why would a TV need HDMI output?)

I guess my MAIN question is, even though I have three things going into my speaker system I will only need one HDMI cable going from the speaker system to the TV correct? (which I assume is the ONLY way I would do that, since my speaker system only has 1x HDMI output)

As well, I am thinking of grabbing the following cables, will they be adequate for what I am about to do?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=26971&vp...re=Ion%20Cables - HDMI Cable x3 (or should I go with $80+ MONSTER cables?)

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=27584&vp...re=Ion%20Cables - Digital Coaxial Cable x1 (again, should I go with the more expensive $40 MONSTER THX certified digital coaxial?)

Edited by shift.

Right, I just noticed there's nothing that my DVD player would use to transfer video signal to the TV.

Would I just connect a yellow video cable?

Yes you are correct. Just need to either connect it using the old RCA yellow cable.

I would also look at using optical from the HD DVR to the receiver. This would allow you to pass full 5.1 surround sound when watching any HD show that supports it.

The reason I'm connecting the PVR straight to the TV is that my parents watch TV pretty late at night (12-1am in the morning late) and they don't want 5.1 surround sound playing at that time. We simply have no use for the 5.1 other than for playing on my PS3 or watching BluRay/DVD movies.

Would S-Video be a better alternative? My DVD player has an S-Video connection and I'm wondering if that's a better alternative to Composite video. I know that Component would be the best choice, but HOW much better is it?

Edited by shift.

I know that Component would be the best choice, but HOW much better is it?
Than S-Video? No contest: Component wins big time.

Is this a standard DVD player or an upscaling one?

My parents don't like using the PS3 controller to control the DVD menu etc. so they insist on using the DVD player we have. :hmmm:

And I have no idea if my DVD player is an upscaling one, how do I tell?

^easiest way to tell if its upscaling is if it has different modes for resolution.

So something like "480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p" on the front of it somewhere.

Like the toshiba dvd player in my living room for the parents is upscaling, it has those 4 modes, plus lights in the front to show which mode is selected.

Other then that your setup is fine. And I say ditch the old dvd player. You know how you can make them happy?

Get a Blu Ray PS3 Remote. 20-30 bucks, but that knocks out old technology, that many wires and makes your parents happy becuase they have a remote control. Makes you happy to, less junk and clutter.