PSP GO Reveal

i love my slim, but i am kinda excited for this. Would definitely love to get my hands to really give my impressions.

Where did your hands go? :p

psygn's PSP-Go is the win!

PSP Go and 'PS3 Slim' Have Strikingly Similar Boxes

This one is, in a sense, kind of a rumor of a rumor, but it's intriguing never the less. PlayStation Lifestyle (via Joystiq) has pointed out that a comparison of what is (supposedly) the PSP Go's packaging and what is (supposedly) the rumored PS3 Slim's packaging shows a noticeable consistency in design. This suggests Sony may well have settled on a new standardized packaging for their gaming hardware... and therefore, lends new credibility to the PS3 Slim's existence. As you can see in the image above, there are multiple similarities between the two. Both show the hardware itself centered on the box. Both have an XMB "wave"-style band running behind them (although in different colors). Both have the respective hardware logo in the bottom left, the memory capacity in the bottom right, the Sony logo in the top left, and the PlayStation logo in the top right. This all seems to suggest that the image of what is rumored to be a slim redesign of the PS3 (which leaked out of a Chinese factory earlier this month) may in fact have been legitimate. But it's worth noting that even the image of the PSP Go's box isn't quite confirmed yet, although the fact that it comes from the same Qore episode that dished numerous new details on the handheld redesign (and that it features the official image of the system on it) sure makes it seem legitimate, as well.

But in the end, even if this seems to add more credence to PS3 slim rumors, we'll still have to wait for some confirmation from Sony to know for sure, one way or the other. Will any new details come at E3? We're not quite convinced, but we'll all find out next week.

Link

Also, after seeing how ugly the PSP Go! is, it's not that hard to believe that the slim PS3 is genunine.

post-20838-1243727387.jpg

post-20838-1243727414.jpg

Where did your hands go? :p

psygn's PSP-Go is the win!

See how much The Dark Knight logo makes things better?

Haha, nah, the black rings mod was done by KoL ;)

Unless you're talking about the fake PSP mockup? That wasn't done by me, either, but I do like that design just a tad bit better then the real PSP Go.

So the PSP Go Is Basically a Sony Mylo 2 With Gaming Then?

By Jason Chen, 4:30 PM on Sat May 30 2009

mylopsp_01.jpg

The PSP Go leak confirmed two things: that the device was real and that it's coming at E3, and that Sony's experience with the Mylo internet device wasn't going to be wasted. They look almost exactly the same.

There were a couple hints leading up to this. There was the patent for a mystery device that could browse the web and play back music?but also had a touchscreen. There was the rebranding of the Mylo into an Internet Device, which was strange to us at the time.

But why is Sony using the Mylo body to make a flash-based PSP that won't replace the PSP 3000? I have no idea. Maybe they felt bad for the only very lightly-used machines and molds they had for the Mylo and wanted to give them a purpose?

Source: b>Gizmodo[/b]b>

The resemblance is uncanny:|:|

Sony: "Why spend time and money trying to figure out a design when we already have one" Lazy Sony. They did the same thing with Spiderman font and the PS3. :laugh:

Daaayuuummmn I can't believe how many of you are completely missing the point of the PSP Go :laugh:

This, the design you all think looks great is an even worse move than the current PSP:

psp2_00.jpg

Let me explain why...

THE SIZE.

That thing is massive, it's even less portable than the PSP :blink: By the way as said in the video the current PSP isn't going away yet, so it's still an option if you find the new too small. The above mockup may be flashy with it's big screen, but it's completely against the philosophy of portable gaming.

The biggest issue I and many others have with the current PSP is it just isn't anywhere near portable enough to be used every day in comparison to it's competition. The iPhone is a good size and light enough to be put in your pocket, the DS also. The PSP is very long, and even putting aside the slim PSP being slimmer than the fat, it's still big and bulky in your pocket. You look like you're walking around with a massive boner if you can even fit the PSP in your pocket :laugh:

The only time I ever use my PSP is on prolonged travel (flying) or in the house, I can't even be bothered to take it on the bus to Uni as it's just bulky.

Sony had two options to improve on this, use a clamshell design like the DS or a slide design. They can't do what the iPhone does as the PSP isn't fully touch, and to be honest I prefer controls, on screen d-pad and buttons on the iPhone games uses up screen estate and just doesn't work that well.

Lets take a look at comparisons between them (these are based off known sizes, but they might be off a wee bit) - http://kotaku.com/5273302/portable-size+of...-go-measures-up

psp_go_vs_psp_iphone.jpg

psp_go_vs_dsi.jpg

2nl8juf.jpg

Note the PSP Go in the second picture is a render, the plastic/casing looks a bit wonky, not to mention the fake hand.

The PSP Go is now almost the same size as the iPhone but in terms of weight it's even better, it's lighter than both the DSi and iPhone.

Weight-wise, the PSP Go sounds pretty light—approximately 3.8 ounces, if the 43% lighter than the PSP-3000 figure (and our math) is accurate. That makes it lighter than the iPhone (4.7 ounces) and Nintendo DSi (7.5 ounces).

While the screen has gone to 3.8" from 4.2" it's still bigger than the iPhones screen and I don't hear many people complain it's "too small"

The PSP Go is also pretty efficient on overall hardware footprint. The LCD screen is 0.3 inches larger than the iPhone, but thanks to the slide-out controls, doesn't have nearly the same amount of extra plastic flanking each side.

The thinness can be seen here

2ro5a9u.jpg

Thinner than the DSi it seems, not sure about the iPhone.

Lastly for people complaining about the analogue nub, the ironic thing in that is it's actually more user friendly than the current PSP. Anyone who actually owns a PSP should see this immediately....

Go pickup your PSP, place your thumb on your PSP like you would to use it. Your thumb has to arch to use it, it's basically at a right angle - This causes the famous thumb cramp of the PSP. Now move your thumb to roughly inbetween the home button and volume -, or even in between the volume - and volume + buttons. MUCH more comfortable, your thumb is not stretched, but it's extended out in a straight line, not hunched up at a right angle.

Or you could even open up your DSLite and put your thumb below the bottom screen maybe an inch in from the screen start, or half an inch. Feels pretty normal to me.

So yeah, I'm super pumped for this, replacing my PSP1000 day 1, the portability of the current PSP is terrible compared to the competition and it's what puts me off using my PSP instead of my DS when I go on more casual journeys that aren't on aeroplanes. Sony have done exactly what they needed to do with the PSP, size it down considerably and make it more portable yet still keep the biggest screen in the portable gaming market (the big screen is what was loved about the PSP).

I also love the design, there wasn't many other ways Sony could've done it and remained a slide design. Doing a clamshell design would have had all of you raging and crying about it "copying" the DS. It looks like they based it off their Mylo design.

PSP_GO_007.jpg

It just looks perfect for portability!

Also GRAN TURISMO PSP FINALLY :woot: Means GT5 will be at E3, I cannot wait....

Our friend who started the 6 cryptic GT rumours from GTPlanet is back ;)

Sixth wind has been unveiled, other 5 are still waiting.

Feast is starting :D

Source: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.p...870&page=49

To remind you, the sixth wind said,

Sixth wind is telling the tale about different reunion but almost the same as known one, smaller only for the eyes of those who do not want to see it in its whole glory. That different reunion will not happen in the realm same as the known one, but in the different realm which still has not been uncovered to the birdtamers. That realm will resemble realm already known but it will be divine new and made in the image of it.

ps. I think the silver circles do stand out a little bit too much, but to be honest I can understand why it's been done from a design perspective. It's to emphasis where the controls for the device are. I know that sounds stupid, and it's clearly not to help you actually find them :laugh: But I truly believe that's why emphasise has been put around them. Not a deal killer for me, the portability is my love, but I agree they'd be nicer in chrome black.

ps 2. Second analogue stick requests are just silly, this is still the PSP, it's not the PSP2. No dev is going to start multi-tasking control schemes into every game they make because that's what they would need to do, 50 million PSP 1000-3000's aren't going anywhere, and neither is the PSP3000 it's staying on shelves with the PSP Go. Stop asking for a second analogue stick, it just wouldn't work for the PSP, PSP2, yes.

ps 3. Yes I'm back, more long posts coming your way for E3 :p I did genuinely have a lot I wanted to say about this though, hope you enjoyed reading.

Edited by Audioboxer

Of course you like it AB, of course. In your twenty paragraphs, you failed to convince me to like it.

In KOL's redo of the design, he managed to get me thinking about the purchase...too bad I can't have his mockup.

Of course you like it AB, of course. In your twenty paragraphs, you failed to convince me to like it.

In KOL's redo of the design, he managed to get me thinking about the purchase...too bad I can't have his mockup.

Don't buy it then, I couldn't care less if my thoughts convince anyone to do anything!

Just wanted to share them like all of you do.

The clear aim is portability, I was just surprised no one had mentioned that at all yet.

ps. Here is a proper HD version of the PSP section of Qore for anyone interested - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCdN0Vh2duk&hd=1

Edited by Audioboxer

Thanks for the HD links. The only thing that bothers me about you sometimes (although I have never posted directly to you) is the fact that your thoughts sound like Sony advertisements. I know you don't work for Sony or anything, but the way you use "!" in sentences amuses me at times.

I think if Sony had you as a spokesperson, you could do a great job. Not trying to flame, that is my personal opinion. While you don't market their stuff for them on Neowin, I think you could do a great job selling Sony products to the people who don't keep up with video games.

Was it my hopeful ear, or did the guy say that users would have a choice between disc and digital for old games - thereby meaning that older games will be re-released as digital copies?

Thanks for the HD links. The only thing that bothers me about you sometimes (although I have never posted directly to you) is the fact that your thoughts sound like Sony advertisements. I know you don't work for Sony or anything, but the way you use "!" in sentences amuses me at times.

I think if Sony had you as a spokesperson, you could do a great job. Not trying to flame, that is my personal opinion. While you don't market their stuff for them on Neowin, I think you could do a great job selling Sony products to the people who don't keep up with video games.

I dunno why it should bother you how I re-act/what I like... but fair enough, it's your problem to deal with. Dunno why I'm not allowed to get excited about the new PSP, I'm being serious when I say how much I hate my current PSP for not being that portable. It sits and collects dust. Of course if I come in and say I'm looking forward to the new design when 90% of the topic so far hates it I'm going to get singled out, fair enough :p

And for the record pushing products on people would not be my category, I work part time in lending within a bank call centre and frequently scrape my targets because I refuse to push sales upon customers :laugh:

I'll take your comment as somewhat of a compliment though about my skills as a Sony spokesperson. I'll tell you one thing, I'd be better in PR than half the Sony monkeys. After making a statement though I'd still rush onto Neowin to see if it has been misquoted out of context and a flame war started.

Seriously though I think you'll find when I do give direct advice around here, which I don't do that often, I'm quite honest about considering what the poster wants, not what I want them to want (Y)

This is perhaps the most functional looking design Sony has put into a handheld.

It will prob attract more developers for the psp with time.

Was it my hopeful ear, or did the guy say that users would have a choice between disc and digital for old games - thereby meaning that older games will be re-released as digital copies?

You heard correct, but be prepared for most devs to probably only support digital going forward... we're/you're at the mercy of the devs to do dual releases I think.

Remember, digital releases are backwards compatible with old PSPs and right now they'll be curving piracy not doing UMD releases.

By the way, with Bluetooth support I wonder if they'll allow the DS3 to hookup and control the PSP say if you're at Home? Or if you're outputting through a TV.

You heard correct, but be prepared for most devs to probably only support digital going forward... we're/you're at the mercy of the devs to do dual releases I think.

Remember, digital releases are backwards compatible with old PSPs.

That's great news, I want to be able to play Crisis Core and Dissidia primarily, and I have been holding off getting a PSP for this announcement.

Since he said it would be out this fall as well as games going digital, that means they've sold me completely on this :)

Well, it's progress, but my biggest complaint about the PSP was that it's just not portable. That, and my smartphone has just replaced it in my pocket.

This seems very bulbous, and almost like one of those cheap knockoffs from some obscure chinese website.

I agree with Audio, for portability its great and there are not a lot of design options for it if you want to make it small. I just think they could have done a better job designing the controls area. That is what make it look "ugly" because if you look at the screen area is basically the same as the current PSP. I probably going to get it. This PSP would have been great to play Patapon and LocoRoco now that I'm going two weeks to Florida on July. Too bad is not going to be released now. :(

This might be unrelated, but anyone notice how on the InFAMOUS ad on TV, the end "Only of PS3" logo wasn't the usual "Only on PLAYSTATION 3" and the ominous tone is gone, and they used the old "playstation" thing-a-ma-bober.

i am just excited that my e3 wish of Gran Tourismo is coming true :) and metal gear for PSP!!!!

but yeah, that thing is ugly... come on sony!

i am just excited that my e3 wish of Gran Tourismo is coming true :) and metal gear for PSP!!!!

but yeah, that thing is ugly... come on sony!

Yeah, I would be excited, but I broke the analogue nub off my PSP, making 90% of games unplayable.

This might be unrelated, but anyone notice how on the InFAMOUS ad on TV, the end "Only of PS3" logo wasn't the usual "Only on PLAYSTATION 3" and the ominous tone is gone, and they used the old "playstation" thing-a-ma-bober.

Yeah it looks like a bit of a re-branding back to the familiar.

Probably trying to move away from the ridiculous This is Living adverts and what not :laugh: I quite like the phrase "This is Living", but the branding behind it was a total flop (N)

People should really watch this for the best impressions on look/size - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCdN0Vh2duk&hd=1 I haven't seen a youtube video ever look as good. Footage starts at about 1:40. Just watch it for Veronica Belmont in HD alone :drool:

I'll take your comment as somewhat of a compliment though about my skills as a Sony spokesperson. I'll tell you one thing, I'd be better in PR than half the Sony monkeys. After making a statement though I'd still rush onto Neowin to see if it has been misquoted out of context and a flame war started.

It was a compliment. You do a much better job than even Spartan-X did. ;)

They've outdone themselves, they actually made the PSP worse.

Really really ugly imo.

Munky ftfw!