Yahoo Messenger 9.0

The following review was taken from one of my blog posts. Check it out here.

post-32489-1243776768.jpg

I just downloaded the latest version of Yahoo Messenger, version 9.0 I am not entirely impressed by the flash new user interface. Moreover, I?m disappointed as it looks like it came preloaded with more junk. It?s now definitely taking up more resources compared to before. It looks Yahoo keeps on adding unnesscery code whenever they release a new version of Yahoo Messenger! It?s taking up an average of 60MB with a few conversation windows opened.

post-32489-1243776784.jpg

On the other hand, Yahoo Messenger now sports a few new themes which can be changed on the fly. This is perfect for users who want customization in their applications. I would rather have a clean and minimalistic user interface in order to have a simple means of usage.

post-32489-1243776804.jpg

Moreover, the main window in Yahoo Messenger will allow users to have a ?detailed? display of their contacts with larger avatars and additional information. This in fact creates more time scrolling down the list to see other contacts. This is a nightmare for those who have more than 100 contacts. Then again you can always revert back to the ?Compact? list.

post-32489-1243776838.jpg

To add on, Yahoo has improved their contact card which allows users to add other services such as Flickr, Twitter and Blogger to their Yahoo Messenger account. Thus, new updates will be presented in this ?contact card? or below the contact?s name in ?detailed mode?.

On a small note, Yahoo has silently removed the number of status options you have. Whatever happened to ?Stepped Out?, ?Away? and ?Out to Lunch?. Then again, users have always had the ability to personalize their status message.

Ok guys! Yes, I am not a huge fan of Yahoo Messenger especially from my thoughts and views with the latest version above. Nonetheless, I only use Yahoo Messenger to keep on contact with my contacts here in the Philippines as Yahoo seems to be control of the whole Filipino Market.

Source: Thumbs Down to Yahoo Messenger 9.0[/b]own to Yahoo Messenger 9.0[/url][/color]

bloat and more bloat sadly

Indeed... Indeed... I wish some people would just get more exposed to awesome third-party applications.

And we get some step closer to a full Windows Live Yahoo Messenger client...

I don't have much problems with v9. I just have the same experience back then with v8. Changing the theme on-the-fly and the new contact details are a big plus to me.

Ugh, I don't know why people review software, no one cares

If you don't care then why are you actually reading this thread then. :|

If you don't care then why are you actually reading this thread then. :|

it was in the latest forum activity in the top, and I thought a new version was released. Your review wasn't even in depth, it was just a brief overview...

it was in the latest forum activity in the top, and I thought a new version was released. Your review wasn't even in depth, it was just a brief overview...

Well, there's no rule whether or not a review has to be in-depth here in the forums ;) Plus, I rather keep things straight to the point :)

Well, there's no rule whether or not a review has to be in-depth here in the forums ;) Plus, I rather keep things straight to the point :)

i agree and if there are any users who dont like what you say then they don't need to read what you said and they need to move on. simple and straight to the point is what is good to read.

I've had this for ages now, you gotta be kidding me if this is new to you all.

Yeah, I've had it for ages too. I think, however, that users using older YM versions were forced to upgrade.

I just wish YM uses the Windows UI in a way like WLM does. It would be much better, aesthetically.

Yeah, I've had it for ages too. I think, however, that users using older YM versions were forced to upgrade.

I just wish YM uses the Windows UI in a way like WLM does. It would be much better, aesthetically.

Agreed. I'm using Yahoo! Messenger 9 because of one person who refuses to switch. Especially under Windows 7 YM looks like a relict from early XP days.

Pity that Yahoo canned the WPF-based Messenger for Vista...

I've had this for ages now, you gotta be kidding me if this is new to you all.

It is to me as Yahoo kept bugging me with a pop-up window asking me to upgrade to Yahoo Messenger 9.0 ;)

I've used yahoo messenger since version 4 i think... before voice was introduced in it. What can i say, yahoo messenger 9 ? yeah right... better use pidgin or other alternatives.

It works...but it's a sad looking/working software .

I'm sad too about yahoo incapable of developing the vista messenger to the end and leave us all with this 9.0 version of the client.

For webcam i use skype....muuuch better and real time.

I agree with sonic; This review kinda isnt a review and it sucks.

As for YM9, its ok. Which I could go to a XP/Vista classic type of theme but oh well.

BTW Blur out the screen names on your contacts...

• 1 month later...

Its funny. When I was at School (pre-2001), well all used ICQ, then we moved to AOL, then Yahoo and now everyone uses WL Messenger.

The version they created for Vista was impressive, but I think Yahoo!'s days are numbered, its just not as impressive and as easy to use as WLM 2009.

Its funny. When I was at School (pre-2001), well all used ICQ, then we moved to AOL, then Yahoo and now everyone uses WL Messenger.

The version they created for Vista was impressive, but I think Yahoo!'s days are numbered, its just not as impressive and as easy to use as WLM 2009.

I went through the same stages myself. Except that now I have moved on from WL Messenger to gtalk!

Call me old fashioned but I want my chat client to send instant messages and not change skins or send loud and crazy animations (like you do in WLM).

I was one of the users who did like the Vista version of Yahoo. I nearly stopped using it after they canned it. WLM's Yahoo integration is pretty lacking since it doesn't support mobile yahoo contacts. Which is why I went back to using 9.0. :( 9.0 just feels tacky and half-assed. It doesn't even maximize properly, and looks very dated.

TBH I rarely use WLM anymore, its not even set-up to auto sign-in and I don't even have it pinned to my taskbar anymore. Me and my friends mostly use the Chat facility on Facebook.

^ You can look into Digsby if you have people using different clients from Facebok to WLM to Yahoo.

I can't believe how pretentious some people can be about a person giving a good review.

@tsupersonic

If you have the ability to criticize the person, then let me see you modify the review to the points you can think you can improve on as you pointed at.