[Official] E3 Sony Discussion

So?

Id rather have two guys that worked on it show it off than a pre-rehearsed Microsoft one with pre-recorded videos of what it might be like, sure it might look more slick but i thought the Sony presentation while wasnt as polished as Microsofts showed the hardware to be a lot better.

Have fun with the Dildo. I'll be over there playing Burnout...

So?

Id rather have two guys that worked on it show it off than a pre-rehearsed Microsoft one with pre-recorded videos of what it might be like, sure it might look more slick but i thought the Sony presentation while wasnt as polished as Microsofts showed the hardware to be a lot better.

I'm not saying what was shown by Sony was bad, but the way in which it was presented most definitely was.

Playing burnout without a controller is a complete gimmick.

You would not play through the whole of Burnout Paradise turning your hands and pushing your feet up and down.

Tech to show off the camera, yes, serious idea? No.

I'm not saying what was shown by Sony was bad, but the way in which it was presented most definitely was.

That we can agree on, it's a bit of what you get when you do a live demo of such an early prototype so some slack needs to be cut, but the guys presentation wise were not up to the job, far too nervous.

Have fun with the Dildo. I'll be over there playing Burnout...

Did you even watch the keynote?

They said it was prototype hardware and that you shouldnt expect it to look like this at retail, at least get a clue before you bash for no reason.

Playing burnout without a controller is a complete gimmick.

You would not play through the whole of Burnout Paradise turning your hands and pushing your feet up and down.

Tech to show off the camera, yes, serious idea? No.

Of course not. They're just showing us how well it can tracks your movements.

Imagine the possibilities of using this together with the standard controller.

Of course not. They're just showing us how well it can tracks your movements.

Imagine the possibilities of using this together with the standard controller.

The standard controller really needs two hands to be properly useable so unless you mean me sitting pushing my feet up and down?

Like on the Wii the best games encompassing motion technology will be those properly built for it, almost sub-genres of games. I think we know by now trying to shoehorn waggle or motion sensing into proven gaming controlling formulas usually comes off bad.

You will be playing serious racing games with a controller or REAL steering wheel (no and not the Mario Kart one, I mean the real ones). Burnout isn't a serious racer as such, but it's a lot more in the realms of serious than say Mario Kart.

at least get a clue before you bash for no reason.

But, but, that's just what you did back there... :p

The standard controller really needs two hands to be properly useable so unless you mean me sitting pushing my feet up and down?

Come one man, you need to be more open minded. That thing recognizes your whole body, and you don't always have to be with both hands on the controller. There are so many possibilities it's insane.

Burnout isn't a serious racer as such, but it's a lot more in the realms of serious than say Mario Kart.

I'd love throwing a banana with my hand during a Mario Kart race. See, there's an awesome use for the camera.

Come one man, you need to be more open minded. That thing recognizes your whole body, and you don't always have to be with both hands on the controller. There are so many possibilities it's insane.

People need to come off the clouds in the sky and appreciate how awesome the tech is but be more reserved until you get lots of real world results (not tech demos or demos in careful environments), in other words letting the tech sit and develop till next year. If the tech was 100% working solid and ready to go we'd be seeing it hit this year.

At the end of the day it's still motion tech and 3D tracking, something most of you were bashing nonstop with the Wii. The 360 and PS3 are seemingly going to take the Wii tech and improve on it to varying degrees, but it's all in the same line, gaming with motion control input, whether that be with your hands, a controller, etc.

The sudden interest in this is interesting, not bashing, just saying I've never seen such madness surrounding it since Nintendo first unveiled the Wii. Everyone is now claiming they can't wait to use it, even for mainstream games.

If anything what I care more about is advances in AI that allow things like vocal interaction. We already have it with text input, but vocal is always much harder. The Milo stuff if it can be pulled off and developed is far more impressive than flailing around in front of a camera, or throwing virtual bananas :laugh:

Motion tech was always going to improve, it's not that surprising, even Nintendo are finding themselves upgrading their tech 2 years in. Next year the tech we've been shown at E3 will be even further ahead. It's just motion-cap basically coming to the Home. Instead of us needing to be covered in those white balls, we have tech that can do a good enough job in our own Homes now.

If this article from Gizmodo and the quote from MS are true, then Natal really isn't a focus for hardcore gaming anyway. If that is the goal, then they can turn Live Arcade into that kind of stuff and leave the core gaming intact and I'll be quite happy. Same goes for Sony, add motion control to niche products all you want, just don't abandon your base market to attract soccer moms and family gamers.

So?

Hehe...you know what your probably right on some of that. I'm sure if you told Milo to have sex with you, he would have a puzzled look on his face. It's impossible for them to include every type of dialogue, word, definition, emotion into something like that. Unless it could think on its own, then we would end up in a world like the Terminator movies.

I enjoyed Sony's to be honest. It was more laid back and funny because the guy sucked at the games he was demonstrating.

Hehe...you know what your probably right on some of that. I'm sure if you told Milo to have sex with you, he would have a puzzled look on his face. It's impossible for them to include every type of dialogue, word, definition, emotion into something like that. Unless it could think on its own, then we would end up in a world like the Terminator movies.

I enjoyed Sony's to be honest. It was more laid back and funny because the guy sucked at the games he was demonstrating.

If you read the interview on Eurogamer you'll see that "Milo" is smart and dumb at the same time. His responses are based on 500 words he recognises as well as the tone of your voice...which is cool...but that's all he can do. So yes..it was heavily scripted and basically the equivalent of CGI and a target render.

I'd love throwing a banana with my hand during a Mario Kart race. See, there's an awesome use for the camera.

If you did that then you either wouldnt be able to steer or accelerate/brake depending on which hand.

I dont see the point in any of these controllers they will have a few crappy games bundled in and a few devs will make one game just so they can say they have a motion controlled game then it will get forgotten about, like the Wii this sort of control method needs to be integrated from day one, i wouldnt be surprised if the next Playstation and Xbox had their relative technologies built in or at least available from day one.

People need to come off the clouds in the sky and appreciate how awesome the tech is but be more reserved until you get lots of real world results (not tech demos or demos in careful environments), in other words letting the tech sit and develop till next year. If the tech was 100% working solid and ready to go we'd be seeing it hit this year.

At the end of the day it's still motion tech and 3D tracking, something most of you were bashing nonstop with the Wii. The 360 and PS3 are seemingly going to take the Wii tech and improve on it to varying degrees, but it's all in the same line, gaming with motion control input, whether that be with your hands, a controller, etc.

The sudden interest in this is interesting, not bashing, just saying I've never seen such madness surrounding it since Nintendo first unveiled the Wii. Everyone is now claiming they can't wait to use it, even for mainstream games.

If anything what I care more about is advances in AI that allow things like vocal interaction. We already have it with text input, but vocal is always much harder. The Milo stuff if it can be pulled off and developed is far more impressive than flailing around in front of a camera, or throwing virtual bananas :laugh:

Motion tech was always going to improve, it's not that surprising, even Nintendo are finding themselves upgrading their tech 2 years in. Next year the tech we've been shown at E3 will be even further ahead. It's just motion-cap basically coming to the Home. Instead of us needing to be covered in those white balls, we have tech that can do a good enough job in our own Homes now.

Actually my interest in Natal has nothing to do with games that have you jumping around in front of the Tv. I still think that's stupid.

My interest is actually mostly about the tech behind NATAL. actually having full body motion capture, without ping pong balls (and for the record the PS3 motion controllers won't change, they need a stick to hold them with, and they need the ping pong balls because that's what the camera sees and uses to judge distance from the tv based on size, thus they also need to be that size as the smaller they are the less accurate they get) or other gear all over your body. most motion capture rigs consists of a suit with truckloads of ping pong balls and tens of cameras in a 360 degree setup.

They actually did it with a simple two camera stereo view setup and clever software and got 1:1(to quote sony) highly accurate motion capture of the whole body. not just your hands.

and yeah the avatar of that guy had some glitches, but on the other hand the avatar was never intended for this, and their skeleton isn't remotely made to be compatible. The actual game/tech demos they showed that where made for it, had what amounts to 100% accuracy of the players movements, including the spastic chick playing dodgeball :p

My second interest in this outside of the tech alone, is as I've said, the ability to use it for head and upper body tracking, HEad tracking for using to look around in racing and flight sims, so you can look into corners. And head+upper body for FPS and 3PS games where you can look around independently of the gun and by leaning yourself, you can have your character in game lean around corners or over ledges and such . and that's with both hands on the controller :) enhancing my normals controller controlled hard core game :p

Now I suppose you could make a hat and a shoulder pad for the PS3 dildos and sort of do the same thing but :p

My second interest in this outside of the tech alone, is as I've said, the ability to use it for head and upper body tracking, HEad tracking for using to look around in racing and flight sims, so you can look into corners. And head+upper body for FPS and 3PS games where you can look around independently of the gun and by leaning yourself, you can have your character in game lean around corners or over ledges and such . and that's with both hands on the controller :) enhancing my normals controller controlled hard core game :p

That is the first reasonable use of the tech anyone has described.

Microsoft forum --> that way.

Obviously, with your superior intellect, you missed how the PSP Go will NOT replace the PSP-3000! You can still purchase UMD games if you so choose.

But I'm sure logic and facts have no place in your head.

Wouldn't a Microsoft "fanboy" or whatever be all for digital downloads as Teh Fut0rz!?

Has there been any mention of that "amazing" game which one of the BBC Tech reporters mentioned? I was really intrigued and now, well nothing...

Has there been any mention of that "amazing" game which one of the BBC Tech reporters mentioned? I was really intrigued and now, well nothing...

Yes, it involves a giant mouse and a cartoon character. Forgot the name...

That is the first reasonable use of the tech anyone has described.

The only way I see head tracking being useful is if the screen moves with your head, a la VR. When is somebody finally gonna crack that? It's been far to long.

Forget "wands" I want gloves with a light on each fingertip, maybe that EL tape stuff for proper one or more handed multi touch. Is natal good enough to track your fingertips?

If you read the interview on Eurogamer you'll see that "Milo" is smart and dumb at the same time. His responses are based on 500 words he recognises as well as the tone of your voice...which is cool...but that's all he can do. So yes..it was heavily scripted and basically the equivalent of CGI and a target render.

*gasp*

Microsoft would never do such a thing!