[E309] NASCAR and WRC come to Gran Turismo 5, with Damage

nascar? really? bleh. I really don't want to have to drive around an oval...

How do you feel about IRL then? Ovals are not my favorite track to do either but the game needs one tri-oval and one traditional oval. Indy is a great choice with the history and tradition there as is Daytona. The Indy 500 is still a huge event as is both the Daytoya 500 and the 24 hours of Daytona. I don't think they should go crazy with the ovals, but the inclusion of these two are great. I would like a generic quarter or half mile track set in Peoria too maybe (is that in the game already?). Either way if the game sells well to the NASCAR crowd it is good for all of us eventually.

I agree. Nascar is boring. I would maybe try it out once. And anyone who things the new forza is going to be better then this needs therapy.

Release date is this year according to a Sony's E3 press release:

"PlayStation's software lineup THIS YEAR is unparalleled with proven franchises like Gran Turismo 5, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves, and God of War III, as well as highly anticipated games like MAG and ModNation Racers," said Peter Dille, Senior Vice President of Marketing and PlayStation Network, SCEA.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-e...2062009-1.html

Although, maybe they mean fiscal year, as God of War 3 is March 2010?

They'll be talking fiscal year, but December 09, I bet ;) At least it means GT5 no later than March 2010.

Confirmation of damage for those still weary....

IL: I also noticed the damage to the STI in the trailer, so should I take that as a hint that this will be the first Gran Turismo game that shows visible damage when people crash into a wall?

Yamauchi: Yes.

IL: But I couldn't help but notice the NASCAR and WRC licenses in the GT5 trailer you released today at E3. Why, in particular, did you decide to add NASCAR?

Yamauchi: NASCAR is a very North American motorsport. In Japan, we're very European-oriented in terms of racing, and NASCAR has always been sort of a far existence for us -- we don't know very much about it. I actually had a chance to watch NASCAR in person a while back, and the experience was very eye-opening. We just thought that having this amazing series, including it in the Gran Turismo world, we would have WRC on one side and that would be the European angle and you would have NASCAR for the North American perspective -- that would really widen the field of the game.

More questions: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009...an-turismo.html

I agree. Nascar is boring. I would maybe try it out once. And anyone who things the new forza is going to be better then this needs therapy.

I liked Forza waaay better than GT, so yeah, I think Forza 3 is going to blow this away. Forza is the new king of racers IMO.

I liked Forza waaay better than GT, so yeah, I think Forza 3 is going to blow this away. Forza is the new king of racers IMO.

hahahahahahahahahaaaaa

good one

Guys stop the pointless bickering, you've seen trailers of these new games and can somehow decide which one is better?

Gamers at their best, making lofty assumptions based on little detail... Not even hands on playing.

Before today no one knew WRC and NASCAR was going to be in GT5, and damage was still being debated, now it's confirmed, but over the last few days I've heard GT5 is supposedly just going to be an improved GT5P... Yeah, that was a good assumption to make.

Both games look excellent, give it a rest on the > or < until we can actually see more of each.

The only thing I can say about GT5 so far is it's probably going to have a colossal amount of cars if the PSP version has 800, and they've now added WRC and NASCAR licensing.

Guys stop the pointless bickering, you've seen trailers of these new games and can somehow decide which one is better?

Gamers at their best, making lofty assumptions based on little detail... Not even hands on playing.

Before today no one knew WRC and NASCAR was going to be in GT5, and damage was still being debated, now it's confirmed, but over the last few days I've heard GT5 is supposedly just going to be an improved GT5P... Yeah, that was a good assumption to make.

Both games look excellent, give it a rest on the > or < until we can actually see more of each.

The only thing I can say about GT5 so far is it's probably going to have a colossal amount of cars if the PSP version has 800, and they've now added WRC and NASCAR licensing.

Well said, AB. If you've got both a 360 and a PS3, then you're sorted as you can have the best of both worlds by getting both games (which I'm going to do). It doesn't matter which game is better, just pick your side, play the game, and enjoy it. :)

But it is, in technical terms at least. Including NASCAR and WRC cars/tracks doesn't make the game any different, just more complete.

Agreed, both look great. It'll be just a matter of platform/gameplay preference when choosing one.

The towns and pit lanes looked quite good, but again not sure if that is a target render or real time and what we can expect in game while racing.

The towns and pit lanes looked quite good, but again not sure if that is a target render or real time and what we can expect in game while racing.

GT has always been better at replays, but I think we can expect Prologue quality graphics with maybe a few tweaks here and there.

It looks great, but GT games historically have terrible handling. Hope they fix it, but if GT5P is anything to go by...

Terrible or realistic?

Terrible or realistic?

It's not that realistic. Play SimBin's PC games (GTR, GTR 2, RACE, RACE 07, GTR Evolution, STCC, Volvo) and you'll see what realistic handling is meant to be, and I think Forza comes closer than GT. I was playing GT4 last night, and I was racing in a TVR Cerbera Speed Twelve (unmodified), and it barely turned. TVRs are meant to be mad and slide all over the place, and all this one did was just smoke the tires through the first half of gears.