[E309] NASCAR and WRC come to Gran Turismo 5, with Damage

Random thought, thinking back to the cryptic message... I'm guessing maybe one version with just GT5 as we know it, and an enhanced version adding in NASCAR and WRL? The two versions of the game that we thought would be DLC ala carte and complete?

CBA reading the whole thread.

But people are saying there is damage... We have only seen damage in the rally mode.. It doesnt confirm damage in the normal modes.

Manufacturers wouldnt mind rally cars being smashed up as that is expected, but ultra expensive lambos/ferarris etc, they are supposed to look pretty..

I suppose we will see this winter.

CBA reading the whole thread.

But people are saying there is damage... We have only seen damage in the rally mode.. It doesnt confirm damage in the normal modes.

Well funnily enough, if you had read the whole thread you would of seen this: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...amp;p=591079570

Confirmation of damage for those still weary....
IL: I also noticed the damage to the STI in the trailer, so should I take that as a hint that this will be the first Gran Turismo game that shows visible damage when people crash into a wall?

Yamauchi: Yes.

IL: But I couldn't help but notice the NASCAR and WRC licenses in the GT5 trailer you released today at E3. Why, in particular, did you decide to add NASCAR?

Yamauchi: NASCAR is a very North American motorsport. In Japan, we're very European-oriented in terms of racing, and NASCAR has always been sort of a far existence for us -- we don't know very much about it. I actually had a chance to watch NASCAR in person a while back, and the experience was very eye-opening. We just thought that having this amazing series, including it in the Gran Turismo world, we would have WRC on one side and that would be the European angle and you would have NASCAR for the North American perspective -- that would really widen the field of the game.

More questions: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009...an-turismo.html

Edited by Jimmy0

Terrible.

Sure is hell doesn't feel like that when I drive :laugh:

Nevermind, Jordan said it best (Y).

Yep. I've been playing GT's like mad since the first one and I've always felt that they go over board in terms of handling. If your driving around a 500hp, RWD car on a track, and you put the metal to the peddle, there is no way in hell that car is not going to break traction and get loose, but somehow it manages to grip in GT games.

If their aim was realistic, you should be able to drift any car quite easily, which is not the case. Not to mention one thing I've always hated in GT games, is the lack of sense of speed. You can be buzzing at 150mph, but it feels as if your going 50mph, that's an area where ever NFS games have GT beat.

I don't care if they gave us 400 cars in total if they were able to fix some of these issues, I don't need a friggin' car museum on my PS3 :p

I think I might have to purchase a Xbox just for my racing fix (Forza) this time around...

Agreed, I remember when I first got the original GT on my playstation thinking wtf? My supercars cant stick to a corner or even a long bend if I give them to much peddle? Theres realistic then theres over realistic making the cars handle like shopping trolleys.

Still was a great game... If there not the usual replay mode screen shots and actual in game shots its looking pretty nice.

Funny thing is, it's awesome to drive in real life, sucks in GT because it's such a sterile experience.

Thank you!!! Unless you are driving a 500 HP Ferrari you have ZERO connection with speed and handling. As you say, it's sterile experience. I'm driving 100 mph and I feel like i'm going 30mph.

That was always my biggest issue with GT series.

Thank you!!! Unless you are driving a 500 HP Ferrari you have ZERO connection with speed and handling. As you say, it's sterile experience. I'm driving 100 mph and I feel like i'm going 30mph.

That was always my biggest issue with GT series.

Yep. Gotta agree with that!

More good news pointing to a chance of release this year

Eurogamer: I appreciate you're not here today to talk about GT5, but is there anything you can say about how development's going?

Kazunori Yamauchi: I want to release it as fast as I can, but GT5 for us, when you talk about its status, it's at a point we can release it any time we want, but we can always keep working on it. It's very important for us to make sure everything is done perfectly and everything is done in detail.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gr...ands-on?page=2

Then release it already, we don't need a gazillion cars now. Put the game out with ~500 and release the rest through free DLC.

Then release it already, we don't need a gazillion cars now. Put the game out with ~500 and release the rest through free DLC.

Not everyone will download or know about the DLC, best to ship with the amount of cars you want in it. I understand what you're saying but if this means a release for Christmas I'm cool with that, GT PSP is October, it should give us an idea of all the cars in GT5.

I want as many as possible, just because I want to race them all around the top gear test track :p I still remember when GT2 was released I was overwhelmed with 650, now the flippin PSP version has 800.

I really really hope the cast from top gear does laps in some of the cars and the times get posted for all the players to beat, or something like that.

Yeah, but there has to be a middle ground here... They want it to be perfect, fine, so do we. But I see this year as a serious deadline if they plan on releasing something relevant.

I remember people drooling over GT HD replays around the same time Forza 2 came out. Forza3 is coming out in a few months and still no sign of GT5.

If Prologue is anything to go by, Forza3 has reached the same graphic quality as GT5, and even surpasses it when it comes to the scenery. If they delay it anymore, other games will come out that look as good and have more features.

My point is that I'd rather have a new game every 2/3 years that gradually improves in each iteration than having to wait so long without anything to play and get the same result in the end...

We don't know what GT5 looks like (damage is confirmed now, might be other visual additions), how many cars it has, how many tracks it has, what the online features are, what new if anything it's bringing to the racing genre (GT-TV and what not), etc. Two days ago we just found out they've now bagged WRC and NASCAR licensing, that'll have ramped up the workload for development, but what other additions are still unannounced?

Forza 3 looks amazing, but give the game a chance to be shown before it's written off as something that's not going to do anything new and be outdated. You've not seen the GT5 engine since GT5P, it's what almost 2 years old? I'm pretty sure in 2 years aside from adding damage they're going to improved other things, geometry, crowds, trees, etc. The cars always got the most love first of all, but it wouldn't surprise me if you still see some graphical boosts on the cars or interior. It's PD, they put out 1080p/60FPS on GT5P not that long after the PS3 release, they are good devs technically.

With the amount it seems they're packing in it's not a game that'll only survive a year then need a new addition, and with the comment above it's clearly nearing the end of development. I cannot for the life of me understand why car fans are fighting over GT5/Forza 3 instead of being super hyped they're getting 2 games catering to their line of interests. However I have a feeling that's just because one is exclusive to one system, the other exclusive to another system so many are programmed to need to fight about what's better even when we only have trailers and some bullet points of what to expect... I mean both games are currently unreleased yet we apparently know which one is better?

Logic seems to fail gamers at times...

I'm betting on a TGS blowout and a Christmas release. TGS is in Japan which is ideal for PD. I also expect it will feature at Leipzig as Europeans love their cars and of course WRC.

Edited by Audioboxer

We don't know what GT5 looks like (damage is confirmed now, might be other visual additions), how many cars it has, how many tracks it has, what the online features are, what new if anything it's bringing to the racing genre (GT-TV and what not), etc. Two days ago we just found out they've now bagged WRC and NASCAR licensing, that'll have ramped up the workload for development, but what other additions are still unannounced?

Forza 3 looks amazing, but give the game a chance to be shown before it's written off as something that's not going to do anything new and be outdated. You've not seen the GT5 engine since GT5P, it's what almost 2 years old? I'm pretty sure in 2 years aside from adding damage they're going to improved other things, geometry, crowds, trees, etc. The cars always got the most love first of all, but it wouldn't surprise me if you still see some graphical boosts on the cars or interior. It's PD, they put out 1080p/60FPS on GT5P not that long after the PS3 release, they are good devs technically.

With the amount it seems they're packing in it's not a game that'll only survive a year then need a new addition, and with the comment above it's clearly nearing the end of development. I cannot for the life of me understand why car fans are fighting over GT5/Forza 3 instead of being super hyped they're getting 2 games catering to their line of interests. However I have a feeling that's just because one is exclusive to one system, the other exclusive to another system so many are programmed to need to fight about what's better even when we only have trailers and some bullet points of what to expect... I mean both games are currently unreleased yet we apparently know which one is better?

Logic seems to fail gamers at times...

I'm betting on a TGS blowout and a Christmas release. TGS is in Japan which is ideal for PD. I also expect it will feature at Leipzig as Europeans love their cars and of course WRC.

I guess you're taking it the wrong way. I'm not writing off GT5, I'm just saying that it's probably taking tw®ice as long to come out with practically the same as other games. Is it worth it? That's the question I'm asking.

I'm not bitching over them being exclusive titles, I bought all consoles so that exclusivity wouldn't matter. But it looks like I'll have played 2 Forza's even before 1 GT comes out. If GT5 turns out to be not much better than Forza 3, why so long to develop?

I guess you're taking it the wrong way. I'm not writing off GT5, I'm just saying that it's probably taking tw?ice as long to come outwith practically the same as other games>. Is it worth it? That's the question I'm asking.

I'm not bitching over them being exclusive titles, I bought all consoles so that exclusivity wouldn't matter. But it looks like I'll have played 2 Forza's even before 1 GT comes out.If> GT5 turns out to be not much better than Forza 3, why so long to develop?

That's the part you don't know. How can you say it has the same as other games when you don't know?

Considering that no other simulation racer has packed in WRC AND NASCAR at the same time that argument already looks shaky. Most NASCAR or WRC games are standalone, not already included in racing simulator. In order for GT5 to support those racing styles unique cars, tracks and game modes will have to have been made. The trailer from E3 showed that, it's not just licensing cars from those styles of racing, its tracks and game modes as well.

That's what I don't understand, everyone is so quick to say GT5 has been in development for years and will be the same as other racer, but how on earth do you know that? Until 2 days ago we had no idea GT5 was going to bring WRC and NASCAR, no idea at all. What else don't we know about until it's unveiled in full?

That's the part you don't know. How can you say it has the same as other games when you don't know?

Considering that no other simulation racer has packed in WRC AND NASCAR at the same time that argument already looks shaky. Most NASCAR or WRC games are standalone, not already included in simulator. In order for GT5 to support those racing styles unique cars, tracks and game modes will have to have been made.

That's what I don't understand everyone is so quick to say GT5 has been in development for years and will be the same as other racer, but how on earth do you know that? Until 2 days ago we had no idea GT5 was going to bring WRC and NASCAR, no idea at all.

I'm working with what is currently known. Based on what is known, that's the probable reality. Hence my use of "probably" and "if" all over.

I'd bet on that too. We pretty much know that PD has been planning a Christmas 2009 release, that's why I was surprised not to hear anymore news at E3.

I'd bet on that too. We pretty much know that PD has been planning a Christmas 2009 release, that's why I was surprised not to hear anymore news at E3.

Well the PSP version is coming out October, first, and it's clear Sony were wanting to push the PSP.

Doing a GT5 blowout would've put the PSP version under the carpet regardless of how promising it sounds. I'm just happy they showed off GT5, gave us something new and it's pretty positive for a Christmas release.

It would've been different if they hadn't said anything at all.

I think TGS is after the 1st of October, so unlike GT5 which has other games shows to get unveiled at, I think this was the last chance to pimp the PSP version.