[E309] ModNation Racers, like LittleBigPlanet on wheels

sony-e309-keynote-1135-rm-eng.jpg

It wasn't all sequels and plugged leaks at Sony's E3 press conference. Sony also announced a new PlayStation 3 franchise called ModNation Racers, the latest in the company's Play.Create.Share lineup popularized by LittleBigPlanet. The game looks to strap LBP's overcute style and love of physics into kart racing that, according to Sony, will let players express themselves and become "superstar designers" by sharing tracks, karts and characters over the PlayStation Network.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/02/modnatio...anet-on-wheels/

I'm hunting for the E3 presentation video, I have no idea why people were slating this it looks pretty damn cool. It really is the LBP version of racers from the looks of it, and it has a touch of competitive Mario Kart style play in it.

Edited by Audioboxer

The one game they showed during the SONY conference that I actually said that may make me want a PS3, other than Little Big Planet.

See a trend here?

Both Play Create and Share games..

Rappy? :p (I've not got as many posts as him yet :()

But awesome, thanks for posting that (Y)

I'd actually just call it a simplified and les spowerful version of Trackmania.

I honestly think they should just have thrown money at nadeo to make trackmania console compatible, but Nadeo's is kinda stubborn and refuse to do a console version.

I wasn't amsued with this until I saw the track tools, after finding so many great LBP community levels this now interest me.

Definitely gives me fond memories of TrackMania and Crash Team Racing :) (haven't spent much time with Mario Kart as none of my friends had it)

I'd actually just call it a simplified and les spowerful version of Trackmania.

I honestly think they should just have thrown money at nadeo to make trackmania console compatible, but Nadeo's is kinda stubborn and refuse to do a console version.

The thing is...on a console it needs to be easy to create levels/tracks with a controller. TrackMania's track creator would never work on PS3 in its current form...it would need some serious transformation and...well that's what ModNation Racers is lol

I was trying to think of which game it reminded me of on the PS1

I remember trading in my N64 with about 5 games back in the day for a PS1 with Penny Racers game.

Definitely gives me fond memories of TrackMania and Crash Team Racing :) (haven't spent much time with Mario Kart as none of my friends had it)

The thing is...on a console it needs to be easy to create levels/tracks with a controller. TrackMania's track creator would never work on PS3 in its current form...it would need some serious transformation and...well that's what ModNation Racers is lol

hmmm. Trackmania's editor would work fine on a console. it would in fact work better as you have two analog sticks instead of a single mouse, so you could do many things a lot easier.

the tools would be easily accessible using the dpad for change the track "tiles", then you have the whole rest of the controller to use for other things, including two analog triggers, shoulder buttons and everything. no lack of keys to use for bringing up selection menus or things like that.

Also if you notice the track in modnation gets majorly simplified from the track they draw, and the actual track tiles you get after it converts you "analog" track to a built one, is identical to the simpler TM tiles. So with some clever coding they could do the same "track painting" for TM.

I don't really see any problems porting TM to consoles, outside of Nadeo's stubbornness. But then again, I can play TM on my HTPC with my 360 controller anyway so :p

it is funny how Sony keeps pushing these Play create share things as oh so innovative noone else did it before though :)

Looks like it could be a fun game, but it's to Mario Kart in a different wrapping for me, weapons and all.

it is funny how Sony keeps pushing these Play create share things as oh so innovative noone else did it before though :)

At home on the console and to the masses, they didn't do it before Sony that I'm aware of, or the scale they are doing it.

I'm certainly interested in this and to see if it will have the DLC support that LBP has for it, regarding extra functions to the editor etc etc.

Just watched the video, first half of 2010 they say.

I think it looks great, it really is the spiritual successor to LBP, and the creation tools look pretty powerful (Y)

I know people were ragging on the graphics but looking at that video I think it has a great art style, it's like LBP, it's heavy physics based so there's a lot going on. They look super smooth and some good shadows/lighting so I don't think there's much else they could do.

it really look like a fun game, kind of a mario cart meets LBP.

seems some people are obsessed with graphics, and if a games doesn't have perfect realistic graphics they put the game down.I agree with you audio the art style is great, it looks really good.

definitely looking forward to this game.

I'm actually excited for this game as well. LBP never really looked fun to me, but MNR looks to be a good time. Too bad it's almost a year away from release.

Gamespot Impressions :

The character creation tools look extremely powerful, with an amazing amount of different options to choose from. As we watched the development team show off the tools, we spotted 125 mouths, 18 hairstyles, 32 shirts, 27 pants and 52 pieces of head gear, to name but a few. This doesn't mean that it's difficult to make a well-matched character, however, as the tools allow you to set a primary and secondary colour, and then sync those colours across the entire outfit.
If we thought the character creation tools looked impressive, then the track creator blew them out of the water. You can create new tracks in the game simply by 'driving' the track around an empty environment, while using the shoulder buttons allows you to raise or lower the track from the gound. From there, you can do everything from change the material of the track itself, to adding points of interest such as trees and houses around the periphery. You can even terraform the land itself, growing it up into hills or bringing it down to fill with a lake. The tools make it incredibly easy to do whatever you want.
It took the team about 20 minutes in total to make a track that looked comparable to the ones that will be included in the full game. In fact, the developers are using the exact same tools to build the tracks that will ship with the finished product. Once you've created your masterpiece, you can then publish it to the net and share with other people, who can both play what you've created or continue to adapt it. The team has adopted the same 'Play, Create, Share' mantra as LittleBigPlanet, so expect a very similar system when it comes to online.

Read the whole thing: http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6211480/modna...stories;title;1

If we thought the character creation tools looked impressive, then the track creator blew them out of the water. You can create new tracks in the game simply by 'driving' the track around an empty environment, while using the shoulder buttons allows you to raise or lower the track from the gound. From there, you can do everything from change the material of the track itself, to adding points of interest such as trees and houses around the periphery. You can even terraform the land itself, growing it up into hills or bringing it down to fill with a lake. The tools make it incredibly easy to do whatever you want.

That sounds awesome.

That sounds awesome.

Look on the last page, one the last posts by me has a Gamespot on stage Demo, shows off the track editor in more depth than the E3 demonstration. It's in HD so it looks good.

It seems to be simpler than LBP which should help people out. LBP editor is easy to use, but to actually make worthwhile content in LBP you're going to need to spend more than 20 minutes for sure.

Look on the last page, one the last posts by me has a Gamespot on stage Demo, shows off the track editor in more depth than the E3 demonstration. It's in HD so it looks good.

It seems to be simpler than LBP which should help people out. LBP editor is easy to use, but to actually make worthwhile content in LBP you're going to need to spend more than 20 minutes for sure.

That is true, not only do you need to unlock "all" the content, it takes along while to make something interesting.

But live editing a track seems like fun by itself. I'll check it out once I get home.

14 minute HD stage Demo from Gamespot

This was essentially a rehash for those who hadn't seen the Sony presentation.