[E309] Sony shows motion control tech, aiming for spring 2010 launch

ps33.jpg

New motion control tech from Sony was talked about in the company's E3 press conference today.

Been working on it for a few years, apparently. As you'd hope.

The prototype of the new controller showed a glowing sphere on the end of the stick. PS Eye tracks it.

The demonstration showed 1-to-1 motion control. On the screen, the controller became a racket in the guy's hand, changing into various other bits and bobs, such as swords and guns.

It has true 3D pointing too, and if you change angles to the camera it'll notice. In FPS mode, you can move and shoot but, will sometimes need buttons.

The ability to use two controllers is there as well, and with one in each hand you can play with building blocks, paint, use a sword and shield and fire virtual arrows.

When you move the camera follows you, should you drop down on one knee, or some such.

More information is promised from Sony soon.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/02/sony-talks...n-control-tech/

Video of tech, decent quality

I'm a bit undwhelmed by this whole thing, just as I was when the Wii launched, and when the plans for this controller were leaked a while back, and same from Natal.

Best thing I saw of it was as a possible cool tie in with LBP.

For the hundredth time...motion plus plus does not, and cannot, do what this does because this using a camera to detect where you are in 3D space.

(Just wanted to point that out...it's still not for me anyway)

For the hundredth time...motion plus plus does not, and cannot, do what this does because this using a camera to detect where you are in 3D space.

(Just wanted to point that out...it's still not for me anyway)

You're right.

Fortunately, the WiiMotion Plus can give the same (if not better) response without the use of a stupid camera.

Watching that tech demo was like watching the Wii being introduced as a college project. Humiliating.

Just dug this video up from E32006, shows off the PSeye working without a controller, just two cups (near the end).

Obviously for Sony to go create a wand though it must not be as accurate enough on it's own with more advanced things...

The wand needs to look much better as a retail product though :laugh: Prototype is laughable aesthetically.

this felt more like a "me too" offering but I guess they need one since everyone else seems to be doing it. it did seem cool how it was 1:1 with no lag. the sensitivity of it was impressive when the guy put the tip of the sword under the dummies chin and lifted it gently.

and because people keep comparing this to microsofts announcement, i dont get why everyone is so impressed with Microsofts offering. it felt to me like a fancy, version of webcam games that have been out forever. flail your arms around and hit balls, pop ballons, play with water, etc etc. heck, it even had lag