Nokia N97

Thanks for your input Ohwhyme. The surfing on the iPhone does feel very smooth but I guess I'll be ok with it since I only use the phone to surf once a month when I need to transfer cash quickly to my debit card account and I'm pretty used to the slowness of my N95 so I don't expect too much in that department. I feel the keyboard's design is quite smart because you don't have to reach so far to press the space button (since it's probably the most used key). Also, the d-pad on the left side makes sense for gamers so I don't understand why some reviewers complain that its for left handed people. That said, I do use the d-pad on normal phones with my right hand but with a two-handed device i guess it should be ok to get used to.

My friend wants to get this phone after seeing my Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. If she gets it, I'll be a tiny bit jealous. :ermm:

Thanks for your input Ohwhyme. The surfing on the iPhone does feel very smooth but I guess I'll be ok with it since I only use the phone to surf once a month when I need to transfer cash quickly to my debit card account and I'm pretty used to the slowness of my N95 so I don't expect too much in that department. I feel the keyboard's design is quite smart because you don't have to reach so far to press the space button (since it's probably the most used key). Also, the d-pad on the left side makes sense for gamers so I don't understand why some reviewers complain that its for left handed people. That said, I do use the d-pad on normal phones with my right hand but with a two-handed device i guess it should be ok to get used to.

All these people with n97's i envy them :( i'm in same bucket as you though still here waiting for release in aus/nz ?_? I'm really looking forward to it and glad to hear most people are positive about it on general sense rather then just review:):)

It's said first week or two of July for general release in Australia. Carrier specific i've heard anywhere between early July and up to August.

oh man i can't wait till august. if 3 doesn't release it soon i might just cave in and just buy it outright.

Yeah, nah I would imagine if vodafones aiming at early-mid july release most will follow suit quickly to keep up.

I tested one of these out at my local Nokia store over here at Hong Kong. Seemed like a pain, IMO - the system appeared rather convoluted and wasn't really straight forward. But then I only had ten minutes to try it out, so I might not have figured it out entirely.

I tested one of these out at my local Nokia store over here at Hong Kong. Seemed like a pain, IMO - the system appeared rather convoluted and wasn't really straight forward. But then I only had ten minutes to try it out, so I might not have figured it out entirely.

I don't think it's worth ~$650 unlocked state side. You can buy two netbooks with the same functionality (minus phone)... X_X

I don't think it's worth ~$650 unlocked state side. You can buy two netbooks with the same functionality (minus phone)... X_X

whats the difference between a "notebook" and a "netbook" laptop? different functions or what?

Netbooks are small laptops..normally with only a 10" screen adn no dvd drive. Tiny, and cheap mainly used for the 'net' not too powerful to do much more..1.6ghz, 1gb ram xp..thats about it

i just received a call from Vodafone UK giving me the option to upgrade early. Been offered the handset on a 12 month deal, delivery will take place tomorrow.

i just received a call from Vodafone UK giving me the option to upgrade early. Been offered the handset on a 12 month deal, delivery will take place tomorrow.

How much did you have to pay for the phone since you're signing a new contract?

whats the difference between a "notebook" and a "netbook" laptop? different functions or what?

Netbook = It's as heavy as a 300 page book and has a screen smaller than 10'' but has all the basic functionalities (word, outlook, watch a dvd, email, internet, AT&T network if you subscribe fori t).

Notebook = the conventional description...

Ok I tried an N97 and "disliked it", so did my girlfriend (she does a lot of texting/emailing/blogging)... :p

it's not a bad phone, but: (cons)

> It's slower than my 5800 :o weird... maybe because firmware hasn't been updated (it's scheduled to have it's first update July 1st).

> The physical keyboard is not any better that the digital of the 5800, meaning I make the same amount of mistakes (and I had it for more than 3 days)

> Having the 5800, the N97 isn't that much better that it's worth the extra 400€ (more than twice the price of the 5800)

> I think the whole "stand" thing when the screen lifts to reveal the keyboard, will be broken in 1 or 2 months, considering the amount of times I had to lift the screen in just over 3 days...

> The Stereo Speakers of the 5800 sound better & louder than the N97's Speakers

So I'm just gonna give a 5800 (also) to my girlfriend and I'll save the 1100€ ((what 2 N97 would cost me) 1400€ - (the price of one 5800) 300€) to buy a new electric guitar :p

For all of you who want a N97, it's FAR FAR from a bad phone, but if you got a 5800, don't upgrade, it's just not worth the extra money :(

you pay 400€ extra for a 5MP camera (instead of 3.2),32GB internal memory and a physical keyboard.

got mine on june 2nd for 570 unlocked in white. I thought it was faster the the 5800 xpressmusic. Once you get used to it, its great. If you have a mac, you can sync itunes music and playlists with it with nokia music transfer and it works perfectly.

got mine on june 2nd for 570 unlocked in white. I thought it was faster the the 5800 xpressmusic. Once you get used to it, its great. If you have a mac, you can sync itunes music and playlists with it with nokia music transfer and it works perfectly.

How much do you pay monthly for your wireless plan (including data plan and texting)?

actually I'm not on a data plan, I can't afford it. I just use the wifi at home if I have to check something. The GPS works without it so luckily I don't have to get a data plan.

wouldnt it be nice to customise ur phone. i'd get the n97 but i dont need wifi, gps or a camera over 3.2 megapixels. is wear that would cut like $250 off

wouldnt it be nice to customise ur phone. i'd get the n97 but i dont need wifi, gps or a camera over 3.2 megapixels. is wear that would cut like $250 off

Pantech Duo

N97 without the WI-FI, GPS or a 5mp camera = 5530 (actually the 5530 has wi-fi) :p (just doesn't have the physical keyboard) and it'll cost less than the 5800, meaning less than 299?, probably around 200?

Nokia N97 ships with Aussie apps

Nokia Australia today launched its flagship smartphone for 2009, the Nokia N97, and demonstrated some of the Australian-developed widgets and apps to be pre-installed on the handset.

Representatives from Facebook, Austereo, ABC and News Limited were on hand at the launch to show new applications developed to bring local Australian content, including news tickers, podcasts and social networking tools. Apps from these developers are either pre-installed on the phone, or are available through Nokia's Ovi Store.

The N97 features a new widgets-focused home screen platform, giving users six positions to add updating web content and shortcuts. Partners, like News Limited, have created widgets for these home screen fragments to display updating data downloaded to the phone. The widgets also act as shortcuts to mobile websites for these services, linking from a Facebook widget, for example, to the mobile version of the site.

This handset is the latest in Nokia's N-series range of multimedia products, most notable for the N95 released in 2007. The N95 was considered one of the first smartphones to embrace the concept of technology convergence by bringing fast internet browsing, GPS and multimedia into the one device. The N97 builds on this convergence story, offering HSDPA and Wi-Fi connectivity options for the web, a 5-megapixel camera and 32GB of internal storage plus the option to expand this using microSD memory cards.

"In the N97 we've created our most powerful, multi-sensory mobile computer," said Emile Baak, Nokia Australia's managing director.

Nokia confirmed that the N97 will be available mid-July with an RRP of AU$1129, or on contract through Optus and Vodafone.

Source

Well, at least there are some details of us in the dark Aussies lol

ah thats good to hear. i can't wait already. just another week or two more. :D

wait no 3? only vodafone and optus? oh man isn't 3 and vodafone in a joint venture? so should i just get it without a plan or wait for 3 to release it?

i found out on the nokia website that its coming out on vodafone, optus and crazy john's. there's also a countdown stating that its 18 days more before its released. so june 19th is the day for Aussies to take note.