DVD Layer change on Blu-ray players.

I just bought a Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-ray player. I got it today and so far, it's been great. The only complaint I have is the layer change on dual-layer DVDs. It takes about 5 seconds to switch layers, so the pause is very long. I googled this and it seems to be normal as the blue laser isn't as fast in switching layers on DVDs as the red lasers found in DVD players. But someone on the AVS Forum is insisting that my player is defective.

So, for those of you who watch DVDs on your Blu-ray player, do you experience a long pause (about 5 seconds) during the layer transition?

Edited by xraffle

I just bought a Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-ray player. I got it today and so far, it's been great. The only complaint I have is the layer change on dual-layer DVDs. It takes about 5 seconds to switch layers, so the pause is very long. I googled this and it seems to be normal as the blue laser isn't as fast in switching layers on DVDs as the red lasers found in DVD players. But someone on the AVS Forum is insisting that my player is defective.

So, for those of you who watch DVDs on your Blu-ray player, do you experience a long pause (about 5 seconds) when during the layer transition?

I don't need to know anything underlying about this whole thing to realise that Samsung wouldn't release the hardware with such an obvious flaw. They'd either fix it, or leave that part of the functionality out (in this case, playing dual-layer DVD movies). I'd go with defective (Y)

Well, I'd feel a lot better if I got answers from people who've tested this out on their Blu-ray players (preferably the Samsung BD-P1500, 1600, or 3600).

I don't need to know anything underlying about this whole thing to realise that Samsung wouldn't release the hardware with such an obvious flaw. They'd either fix it, or leave that part of the functionality out (in this case, playing dual-layer DVD movies). I'd go with defective (Y)

That's seriously silly logic. Have you not seen some of the units they've put out over the past two years?

That's seriously silly logic. Have you not seen some of the units they've put out over the past two years?

Whew! Thanks bangbang. That's a relief. I don't think there's anything wrong with the unit. It doesn't get stuck or anything. It's just very slow in changing layers. I believe these Blu-ray players are meant for BDs and their compatibility with DVDs is just an extra freebie thrown in. I even heard that the BD-P3600 has the same layer change issue. Not sure about the PS3 though.

From the lack of responses, I take it that most people don't use their Blu-ray players for DVDs since most of us probably have a standalone DVD player to use.

I have a Sony S350 Blu-ray player and I don't notice any extra time for it to switch layers on DVD's compared to my old DVD player.

I have a Sony S350 Blu-ray player and I don't notice any extra time for it to switch layers on DVD's compared to my old DVD player.

You're lucky, because it seems to be a recurring theme with BD players (happens on my HD-DVD also, but not for that long). Only a few players seem to have escaped this problem, like the PS3 and the new Oppo player. Not just them, but notably them.

Thanks Joel. HD-DVD players shouldn't be as bad because they use red lasers as opposed to the blue ones in Blu-ray players.

I highly doubt my player is defective. It plays every BD I throw in it flawlessly, such as "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans" and some people had issues playing that title on other players. The 1600 has no problem with it. It just takes about a minute to load because of the BD-J.

BTW- I love BDs hard coating. I rented my first Blu-ray title at Blockbuster Online (which is the Underworld movie) and there wasn't a single scratch or smudge on the disc. Usually when I rent DVDs online, there's smudges, fingerprints and scratches all over the disc. Looks to me like BDs are MUCH harder to scratch than DVDs.

I don't care for Samsung actually. I bought a DVD player for my TV and I couldn't play the matrix DVD on it. I had to have our tech at the military exchange flash the bios inside to upgrade it to play Matrix. I scratched my head and promised to never buy a samsung TV or DVD player again.

their LCD monitors have been good thus far....

Thanks Joel. HD-DVD players shouldn't be as bad because they use red lasers as opposed to the blue ones in Blu-ray players.

No

No

Care to explain.

Mine has a slight skip, but nowhere near 5 seconds.

Well Joel and other sources out there have convinced me that the long pause is normal on Blu-ray players. The pause only happens on DVDs. Blu-rays discs, I haven't noticed any pause at all. Not sure if BDs do pause during layer transition, but I haven't noticed it on this player. But DVDs, there is a 4-5 second pause when changing layers.

Ok, this probably explains why I'm getting different responses. I'm talking about DVDs, not BDs. I haven't noticed any pause when watching Blu-ray. It only happens with DVDs. There is a 4-5 second pause when switching layers.

Sorry for misunderstanding. My player is boxed up right now (basement remodeling) so i can't double check.... the few months i've had it, i don't think i actually watched a DVD.

no, HD-DVD doesn't use red laser. it used a blue laser just like BluRay

Yep...the difference is just the way the data in burned onto the disc (or rather where the data is burned onto the disc)

• 1 month later...

Whoa! You know, before, my major complaint with my Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-ray player is that DVD (not BD) layer change had a long pause. Well, I just watched a DVD on it today and the player used its buffer for the layer change. I tested some other discs and the layer change pause is GONE! Weird! But come to think of it, I haven't tested this player's DVD playback ever since I updated the firmware a few weeks ago. Maybe that was it. But if that's the case, kudos to Samsung for fixing that issue via firmware upgrade!!