• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Why did you download or install Windows 2003?

What did you download or install Windows 2003?  

184 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jason    5
I have tried XP, and yes it is complete crap. More security holes and issues then W2k. Remember when it first came out, all of the driver and application problems ? Yes now that is for the most part fixed but not when it was launched(Which is when i tested it). To me W2k3 is alot better then XP once you actually configure it properly(and i mean alooot more then that 5 page neowin guide).

2003 Server is built on the XP code with improvements of course but still the XP code base.

d0tn3t    0

Uh, what about the same problems Win2k had when it was released? Driver and application problems? Most Os' are the same in that regard. All of these people that complain about XP, and of all the 6 people in our house that use it, it doesn't crash.

Paul    8

IIS 6

FTP

Print Server

Test Web Server

Dedicated Games Server :devil:

PF Prophet    0

becouse i wanted something other then xp went from xp back to 2kpro becouse xp was so buggy

now 2k3 server as a game station :D

McoreD    20

Why did you download and install Windows 2003?

well to get a stabler os running.

using Windows XP with NT Kernal 5.2

and it says it the system properties Windows XP Professional Version 2003. :)

post-32-1052724556.jpg

John    7

i assume you used ntswitch or tweaknt or something like that. or did you somehow put the nt 5.2 kernel into xp?

McoreD    20

gameguy, u r right mate. it was ntswitch. i just can't believe microsoft left the windows xp stuff in windows server. as i said before: now the system properties says: Windows XP Professional Version 2003. what a shame?

Schmoove    1

Ehm downloaded it, burned it, installed it in VMWare 4 (just to test if the cd isn't corrupted)..... threw it in the corner of my room.

I have no use for this OS. XP is just fine for my needs. I don't need it, but just wanted to know what the fuss was all about.

GeekBoy2000    0

Installed it to learn what it can and can't do. I truly believe that most of the Windows "gurus", particularly the younger folks who can't afford to fork out hundreds or thousands of dollars are getting their experience this same way. In the long run, they are an asset to MS, and provide a lot of valuable tech support to the "suits" who shell out the money, but couldn't locate a power plug if their life depended on it.

mipra    0

just for the sake of getting the "new" feeling

eye_see_you    0

well did not download it ordered the disk from microsoft to test it and see if we will migrate to it and compare differences ...

red8Rain    23

For AD is what I downloaded the eval for.

As for DFS, I didn't read any improvement on it. Was there a major change from server2k to server2003?

Atom    0

im using it at work for IIS6. i love how you can export your iis6 settings to xml :yes:

you also forgot to add the new NLB consoles. :omg: i love that new console works great and easy to setup and manage the cluster

fughidabowit    0

I installed it first as a beta tester...and fell in love with it.

I use it for Visual Studio.Net development (which is a programmer's wet dream in W2k3 - especially ASP.Net programming with IIS6) and WM9.

Great OS.

Mike Douglas    0

I installed C&C Generals and that didn't work so I tried Half-life and it ran like the ****s

PF Prophet    0

low rider you should check ur settings half-life works fine for me just make sure to install the lastes drivers for ur vid card and enable directx (read the workstation guide) if ya got any other questions about gaming ask someone on her will know the answer or will try and help ya find it :D hell i might beable to help :D:D:D

tomwarren    68

I installed it for my home AD and for IIS, Exchange, WMS, VPN, TS, DFS, SQL :yes:

Steven    80
I installed it for my home AD and for IIS, Exchange, WMS, VPN, TS, DFS, SQL :yes:

Good Stuff! :)

John    7

cream's using server 2003 to it's full potential :woot:

*mumble* unlike those who run it as a workstation :crazy:

hunter1234    0

actually, i installed to see what the fusses are all about. i really have no personal use for it. just a big enthusiast.

Toe    0

I installed it to have something different than the usual lan crowd.. Still seems that way, because everyone is too scared to install it.. So when the come out of their shell, I'll just move to longhorn..

A bit silly i know, but I learn things from it

rezza    1

i use it as a fileserver and a NAT server on my home network, and i host a (very very small) site from it too.

PF Prophet    0

oh i now have VMware GSX works grate on 2003 unlike ms virtual server :/

...:::TRIaXOR:::...    0

I downloaded it coz I beta tested the RC1 and RC2 versions :woot: so I downloaded the Eval to see what the final product looked and felt like and to be honest. I'm not disappointed with it . ;)

At the moment I'm learning about DNS and Domain Serving as well as IIS 6.0 so me other rig is running XP Pro, and yep, XP looks weird without its logon screen, lol :p

Now i'm attemping to Mod the look and feel of it, The NTOSKRNL.DLL is a Lot different from the XP varient so I cant get rid of the Ugly Bootscreen :x (is it just me that finds it ugly) but I managed to get a Modded UxTheme.dll, so I'm in theme heaven :D

aboutwin.gif

ronaldinho2003    0

I installes it cause I'm currently in the Office 2003 beta program.... it was included in the betakit to test Echange server 2003 and the sharepointserver...... nothing more, nothing less