Nikon D40

My Sony P&S broke down after two and half years, so I need a replacement. So I'm thinking of putting money towards a DSLR instead of getting another P&S.

I've read around the web as the Nikon D40 being a decent DSLR for beginners. Is this still the case or is something newer out?

Thanks! :)

Radish?

My Sony P&S broke down after two and half years, so I need a replacement. So I'm thinking of putting money towards a DSLR instead of getting another P&S.

I've read around the web as the Nikon D40 being a decent DSLR for beginners. Is this still the case or is something newer out?

Thanks! :)

Radish™

I think you get better served with a Canon 1000D ;)

yeah I'd vote for a Canon 1000D too. but then again, I've always been a Canon user. I did seriously consider Nikon for a bit though, after I sold my 400D. Ended up getting a new Canon though. If you look at the specs, it seems to be a modified Canon 400D, which is a very capable camera.

Check out the Review at Dpreview

I can use the Nikon D50 with no problem and come out with amazing amazing photos. I think the D40 (or D60) is the way to go for you, it's not too expensive, has a ton of lenses and you can do amazing things with it.

Edited by Triliaeris

I like nikon's interface on the cheaper units soooo much better. It uses a D-pad style navigator, instead of a crappy wheel that Canon uses. Other than that, they're all about the same.

I like nikon's interface on the cheaper units soooo much better. It uses a D-pad style navigator, instead of a crappy wheel that Canon uses. Other than that, they're all about the same.

Afaik the cheaper Canon models don't have a wheel.

I'm also looking for a DSLR

I'm probably gonna get a Nikon d60

not too expensive, but from what I've seen it takes really good photos

Afaik the cheaper Canon models don't have a wheel.

Oh you're right. It's that crumby thing that looks like a wheel, but is just 4 separate buttons.

Either way, I don't like them :p Try selecting a focus point on a rebel. Then try it on a D50. Huge difference.

It really comes down to the lenses. I have been shooting a long time and your actual investment will be in your glass. The camera bodies come and go but the lenses stay. If you have no intent on upgrading anything past your initial purchase then any of the new DSLRs will suffice. I am a Canon guy. I always have been so I have a collection of lenses which keeps me a Canon guy but Nikon also makes very good stuff as well but to me, Canon has the largets selection of available lenses. From the ultra cheap, to the "prosumer" to the Professional.

What ever lenses any beginner to intermediate needs, Nikon has just as many. Don't forget 3rd party lenses. Half of my lenses are 3rd party lenses.

Best advice at this point? Go to a store and play around with a Rebel. Then play around w/ a D40/D60. Figure out which one feels easier/better to you. They all take equivalently wonderful photos.

D40/60 will serve you nicely, and the kit lens isn't too bad.

Glass wise, I really wish Nikon would release a set of f4 zooms. The Pro f2.8s are nice, but waay to heavy to drag up mountains, especially if I'm just going to stop down to f11...

As a dude that began shooting srsly last year with a DSLR, I recommend the Canon 450D or the 500D.

I've also been planning to buy a DSLR. I first thought I should get 1000D but now i'm not so sure about it anymore. Would 450D be worth the extra 100??

Canon EOS 1000D Kit 430 ?

Canon EOS 450D Kit 570 ?

Edited by Joni_78

As a dude that began shooting srsly last year with a DSLR, I recommend the Canon 450D or the 500D.

I started shooting a couple of years back. Started off with a 400D about 2 weeks after it was released in the UK. Great camera!. Sold it a couple of months back, and I've just picked up a 50D.

I've also been planning to buy a DSLR. I first thought I should get 1000D but now i'm not so sure about it anymore. Would 450D be worth the extra 100??

Canon EOS 1000D Kit 430 ?

Canon EOS 450D Kit 570 ?

The 450 will certainly give you more features and a more professional feel. Check out the review I linked to at DPreview. it compares the 1000D against the 400D and 450D.

The only complaint I've heard from 400D users looking at the 450D, is the weighting is different. Otherwise, they're all good cameras. The largest difference will be the buffer size, number of AF points, and probably the burst speed.

I got my Nikon D40 (with 18-55mm standard lens and free carry bag worth ?50) for ?220 from Jessops when they had their late December/January Sal:):)

Couldn't be happier!

I'd recommend the Nikon D40 or D60. It's great for a beginner. I personally recommended the Nikon D60 to a friend of mine and he's quite happy.

Definitely go for the Nikon D40, the Cannon 1000D feels a bit cheaper and plasticky.

I've had mine for just over a year now and I love it!!

Oh you're right. It's that crumby thing that looks like a wheel, but is just 4 separate buttons.

Either way, I don't like them :p Try selecting a focus point on a rebel. Then try it on a D50. Huge difference.

I have a 450d and 50d: I actually prefer the 4 button control for picking focus points.

I miss the LCD near the shutter release far more than the control dial.

Nice, I'll have a play around with the D40 tomorrow hopefully :D

Does VR in the lens make a big difference in use?

Radish?

Ehhh in the 18-55mm lens, not a whole lot. I tried playing around with my friend's canon rebel with IS (canon's version of VR) on the 18-55mm lens, and I didn't really see much of a difference. Go out to 100-200mm, yes; it's a huge difference.

They key will be to zoom to 55mm, set the shutter speed to about 1/25th of a second. Take some pics with VR on, then a few more with VR off. Compare them.

Yea, I agree, I don't think VR makes that much of a difference in the 18-55mm lens. In the longer lenses though you'll definitely notice VR helping out with the photos.

I think the D40 is a great beginner dSLR to use.