[6/9/09] Prototype

But TBH my biggest gripe with Prototype so far as I really thought holding down RT to run up and over anything just presents no challenge at all with getting to the top of things. Perhaps it gets more challening and difficult later on, but one of the things I liked so much about Crackdown and / or Infamous is when you got to the top of something really high, you had to "work" at doing so. So unless it changes in Prototype, it appears all I have to do is hold down RT and get up wherever I want???

Ah I do agree with you there. For instance the other day when I played one of the first things I did was climb the Empire State building. Now we all know how tall that building is, but in Prototype you can run up it in less than 30 seconds. Something like Assassin's Creed/Crackdown/inFamous would no doubt be a lot more work and like you said, you'd feel like you achieved something.

At the same time however, I do think it removes a lot of the "work" and at its core is just very fun to play. It's definitely a different take on the whole climbing gameplay, and I don't necessarily think it's bad.

Both Garrett and I will be reviewing the game this week, so I'll leave more of my thoughts for then (Y)

Ah I do agree with you there. For instance the other day when I played one of the first things I did was climb the Empire State building. Now we all know how tall that building is, but in Prototype you can run up it in less than 30 seconds. Something like Assassin's Creed/Crackdown/inFamous would no doubt be a lot more work and like you said, you'd feel like you achieved something.

At the same time however, I do think it removes a lot of the "work" and at its core is just very fun to play. It's definitely a different take on the whole climbing gameplay, and I don't necessarily think it's bad.

Both Garrett and I will be reviewing the game this week, so I'll leave more of my thoughts for then (Y)

Cool, I look forward to it.

But yeah, even AC as you pointed out, along with the two others, have spoiled me I guess, and I just like the whole climbing things a lot, I think its because as a kid I sucked at climbing trees maybe. LOL

I am still going to check it out even if that is not the case, as it seems to have potential as I can say the opening sequence was indeed pretty fun, and obviously having those powers is something I need to work up to as it said 18 days earlier and you are not as strong. So will keep playing a bit to see how it feels, and might just wait for the 360 version anyway, as it is definitely a game meant to be played with a controller, so might as well sit on my couch, and not the same computer chair I sit on all day while working.

But yeah, even AC as you pointed out, along with the two others, have spoiled me I guess, and I just like the whole climbing things a lot, I think its because as a kid I sucked at climbing trees maybe. LOL

lol another fact I've learnt about you, I'm sure there is a life story behind it too :p

Ah you do put a smile on my face Larry :laugh:

1UP, B-

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3174734&p=4

Throughout Prototype, this theme keeps coming back up of appreciating all the things it does in one game, while wishing it did them individually a little better. On a theoretical level it achieves a significant design accomplishment in pulling everything together into a cohesive package. As the person holding the controller, though, it stumbles too often on its inability to turn its potential into a consistently fun game. The result leaves every "hell yeah!" it delivers costing a steep price in "oh hells" to get there.

Well for me, I tried the inFamous demo and I was like.. meh.. then I picked up Prototype yesterday.. Just people surfing is hilariously fun. Especially throwing people into cars, bringing down a helicopter, then throwing that exact same corpse of the helicopter at another one. :D SOOO AWESOME.

Well for me, I tried the inFamous demo and I was like.. meh.. then I picked up Prototype yesterday.. Just people surfing is hilariously fun. Especially throwing people into cars, bringing down a helicopter, then throwing that exact same corpse of the helicopter at another one. :D SOOO AWESOME.

yeah! the graphics do suck but it's so much fun you stop caring after a while.

yeah.. running up buildings is also quite fun.. and there's the GTA hiding aspect of it... to lose the Air Strikes.. or even run away while they are chasing you down , turn a corner, consume a random lone civilian and the walk amongst the crowd. The soldiers then are like.. I got him! ughh.. nvm.. wrong target.. it's sooo awesome.

I didn't expect it to be sold out.. apparently it was yesterday. TRU and EB were totally sold out.. I went to like 3 different shops to find it.

great game so far.

I've been playing it on the PC and I'm finding it quite boring...I thought running around killing things would be entertaining, but idk, just gets old quickly.

I've been playing it on the PC and I'm finding it quite boring...I thought running around killing things would be entertaining, but idk, just gets old quickly.

+1

Just played the game for a good 30 minutes, sound side is a bit crude and the graphics aren't that impressive, plus the Story is a bit thin ... But the game is epic fun, screw all that Hollywood story crap and evolving characters, this is just pure massacre and fun (Y)

The story is only thin if you don't track down WOI targets. If you play straight through the game doing only core missions you typically won't get higher than a 60% WOI. So even though you completed the game you missed out on 40% of the story.

for a port it isnt to bad, for gameplay quality, it's ur standard run around and kill things, I do like the powerups they are pretty cool, I think the story line is pretty indepth to an extent. There has been far worse games for the pc, *cough*COD4*cough*

My main problem with the game is there isn't any escalation in free roam mode...You kill lots of people, and tank + a couple helicopters come, you kill those...done. I wish they would keep coming in larger amounts, rather than just a few and it's over.

Idk what to think, definitely not worth 50 bucks. But it is reasonably fun, graphics suck pretty hard though.