Looking to buy a Compact Digital Camera

My pick of current best overall compacts: (North American model numbers)

Canon PowerShot SD880 and SD960

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS7

Nikon CoolPix S560 and S620

Sony CyberShot W220 W230 W290

Fuji FinePix J250 and F50/60/100/200

Casio Exilim Z270

Pentax Optio P70

Panasonic Lumix TZ6/TZ7 (ZS1/ZS3)

I have taken price, zoom range, aperture, wide angle, image stabilizer, LCD size, and overall favorable reviews and reputation into consideration.

Edited by Gus.

For everyone reading this thread, what to look for in today's compact digital camera:

Optical Zoom Range: Minimum 4X or 5X (this is a multiple of the camera's widest angle, 28mmx4=112mm, 28mmx5=140mm, film camera equivalent). Forget 3X, you should be able to find a model with 4X or 5X (or even longer, but on bulkier models) for your money.

Maximum Aperture: This is how wide the iris behind the lens can open, and therefore let in more light, obviously better for low light/night shots, although at this aperture your Depth Of Field will be limited. Many of today's models have F2.8, very few and expensive models have F2.0, such as the Panasonic LX3. So, look for Maximum Aperture of F2.8!

Wide Angle: Basically, this will fit more of your subject or subjects into your picture, as well as let in more light. Again many models now have 28mm equivalent; almost all compacts have at least 35mm equivalent, but since there are some affordable models with 28mm, you should consider it. There are a few models with 24/25mm, which is really wide, but those tend to be more expensive, such as some models from Panasonic, Samsung, Casio, and very few others. So, look for 28mm equivalent wide angle lens!

Image Stabilizer: This is a mechanism inside the camera that compensates for camera shake, thus avoiding blurred pictures. Optical Image Stabilizer seems to be the most effective, newer/better models from the top brands now use this (NOT all models): Panasonic(OIS), Canon(IS), Nikon(VR), Sony(SteadyShot), and others. Sensor Shift, this seems to be the second best form of stabilization, used by some Fuji models, and others. Digital Stabilization is not a mechanism, it's just processing that attempts to remove blur, done by the camera's processor.

Resolution: This is the maximum image resolution a camera can capture, but it does not necessarily mean more detail! Why? Because of the size of the sensor; cramming more MegaPixels onto the same size sensor will add more noise and grain to the image, and reduce Dynamic Range, and sensitivity to low light! Compact camera sensors are not increasing enougn in size to compensate. So don't be deceived by high MegaPixel count, 10 MP should be good enough (don't consider MegaPixel count your highest priority, it doesn't mean better pictures). Also, some models support 16:9 Aspect Ratio, which is the standard used by today's TV's and some computer monitors.

Minimum Shutter Speed: this is how long the shutter can remain open, thus letting in more light, which is useful for night shots; look for times of 1 second or longer; some models have 15, 30, 60 seconds open shutter times. (Also, Fuji F series models have larger sensors, which helps with low light shots).

LCD Size: For almost any budget, you should be able to get a model with a 2.7"/3.0"/3.5" LCD screen. Look for LCD resolution of at least 230,000 (230K) pixels, otherwise what you're viewing may not be very clear; also, some screens are hard to see in bright sunlight because they're not bright enough.

USB 2.0 support helps transfer your images quicker to your computer.

Memory Cards: SDHC is the most common type, but not all camera models support it; SDHC comes in various speeds, get the highest speed you can afford, still image and video recording will be more responsive, speeds are rated Class2, Class4, Class6, Class10, etc., higher is faster.

Here are 2 sites that I know of to help you filter available choices by features:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

For everyone reading this thread, what to look for in today's compact digital camera:

Excellent, thanx for sharing :)

Welcome! Glad you found the info useful... :)

Another key feature I forgot to mention:

Macro: This is the closest distance from a subject the camera allows you to focus at, usually at the camera's widest angle, and is usually a special shooting mode, activated by a button at the back of the camera. Look for a minimum focus distance of about 5cm/2 inches (give or take a few Centimeters, and be careful you don't scratch the lens ;) ).

• 5 weeks later...

sorry for overtaking this thread but my request is the same however with a budget. I didnt feel it was necessary to make a whole new thread

Im really stuck even with all that information. I was stupid a few years ago and looked at a major budget line of ?60 and got a stupid poor performing Vivatar digital camera however now im looking for a brand new Digital camera with a budget range of ?110.

My problem is i really dont know what to initally look for. I understand the bigger the sensor, the better the quality however i notice most of them have the same sensor sizes.

Can anyone recommend me the best bang for buck digital camera within my budget rang?110/b>. I would like to take pics and decent videos. Also it needs to be a rechargable battery. I cant stand my Vivatar constantly changing batteries every 3/4hours or :( :(. Please help me. Thank you so much for everyones help

Im just so lost when it comes to digital Cameras

I wish I could help, but I don't know what's good in that price range, and I have no clue what camera prices are in the UK...

If you can find the Canon Digital IXUS 80 IS on sale, then that's probably the best you can get. The Canon PowerShot A480 A1000/1100 A2000/2100 are all plastic and take AA batteries, I think.

The next best would probably be a Sony CyberShot W series model, which have always been highly rated. Then there's Casio, Panasonic, Nikon, Fuji, and perhaps even Pentax...

I'm sorry I can't be any more specific, I hope someone else who knows the UK market can be of more help :)

For a point and shoot, the Casio Exilim line is the best - IMO. All of our friends are always impressed with how quickly it takes pictures. We have a toddler and we used to only get the back of his head with our Nikon. Now we get great shots.

thank you for the responses... im alittle torn now however

Ive came across the Canon Digital IXUS 95 IS lowest i could find was ?164> or theSony Cybershot DSC-W220 12MP> lowest i could find is?144b>. Which would you suggest out of the 2 cameras or which could you suggest rather than those to. Would the Casio Exilim models be better than either those?

Many thank you!

Always go for the Canon when you can afford it, they are the top in terms of image quality, color accuracy and vibrance, build quality, performance and responsiveness, and the IS models have good optical image stabilizer to reduce camera shake and blur. If you can find the IXUS 80 it may be a better choice because of lower MegaPixel count (12 MP is too high and can add grain and noise to the image, try to stay at 10 MP or less). Canon is definitely better than either Sony or Casio, or any other brand!

the Canon Digital IXUS 95 IS is a 10mp camera. do you think this will still be too much to add noise or grain? If i got that camera and changed the setting from 10mp to 8mp. would it be the same grain and noise as the 80 IS model?

Is there any reason why the Canon models are better than any other model?

Many thanks for everythin :D

By all means get the IXUS 95 if you can afford it, I doubt shooting at a lower resolution will reduce noise, but it's OK as it is, it's still better than most others. Canon has always been the top company for photographic gear, since the days of film cameras, it has been around a long time, and has a lot of experience in the field of photography. It is probably the most respected name among professional photographers worldwide. Canon always try to produce quality products, instead of gimmicks like other companies rely on.

The problem nowadays is the market forces you to buy the latest models, because they pull the older ones off the market. Of course, some aspects of the cameras are always improving, but other aspects are actually getting worse (they keep adding more pixels every year onto the same sensors just to keep people buying new cameras, but noise seems to get worse); such is the nature of marketing, competition, and profits...

You are right, almost all compacts have the same size sensor, so all you can do is try to get the best of what's available.

Canon digital cameras have always been known for the best color accuracy, as well as build quality, and snappy performance. Search for reviews and you'll see. Others are getting better, such as Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, etc. but overall Canon is till in the lead.

I guess your right however reading the specs between the two.. how come the Sony has so much more to give in terms of features?

for example:

Canon IXUS 95 / Sony W220

Battery Life: Approx. 260 shots ? / Approx. 370 shots

Approx. 360 min. playback

Lens: 35mm / 30mm

ISO sensitivity* AUTO, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 / AUTO, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200

Which ISO numbers should i be looking at? especially for taking dark/night photos?

Should i really be taking notice of these crunching numbers and comparisons?

Of course there are other models to consider than the Canon IXUS 80/95... Sometimes another brand will offer more features for the same money, but may not necessarily have the same image quality, there are always trade-offs and compromises...

As you'll see from reviews, a lot of Sony W series models have had favorable reviews... It is a tough decision, and you shouldn't rush into buying a specific model or brand, before doing a little research or getting advice from more than one person :D

Check out these sites:

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/digital-camera-reviews.cfm

http://www.digicamreview.com/2004/07/reviews.html

http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/

I'm sure I've missed a few other good ones...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS6 and FS7

Nikon CoolPix S560

Fuji J20 J250

may also be good models to consider

I really can't say what's best for night shots at this price point, they should all show visible noise at ISO400 and up, what you need to look for is wide aperture, such F2.8, long shutter times of several seconds (4,8,15,30,60 seconds), and wider lens angles let in more light.

Edited by Gus.

Is there any reason why the Canon models are better than any other model?

Only that he started out with Canon gear, and photographers, even hobbyists, tend to stay extremely loyal to the brand they start with.

While this makes a certain sense within the SLR realm, taking it with you to compact camera's is dangerous. Personally I'd say Nikon DSLRs rule all, but that doesn't mean I'd tell everyone to get a coolpix camera, heck I wouldn't even suggest all prospective DSLR owners getting a nikon, depending on their needs.

he posts good factual posts, but I'd be more careful about his actual camera recommendations with his "canon above all" stance. On the other hand the Canon Ixus camera's are very good compact cameras. But they also make some overpriced crap stuff, like the huge touch screen one with the tiny optics with 4x zoom.... overpriced with under dimensioned optics. ..oh wait, that was actually a Sony... it's late.

Find some good candidates, check out reviews for them, with example pictures then decide.

lol well i did have a round up of 2 cameras to buy. the w220 and the canon 90 IS but now after all this im not so sure. Do you think i could rely on the information provided on the top 10 compact cameras? What about the Sony W270? What do you think of that model?

Im so lost now! lol even with reviews they purely explain good factors but then its the bad factors that get implimented too :(

The thing is we can't test every camera on the market to make a proper recommendation, we either have to rely on cameras that we've bought and used, or we have to rely on website reviews, which can sometimes be conflicting. But after reading hundreds of reviews over many years, you get a sense of what's better on average... Sure, my first digicam was a Canon PowerShot IXUS 70, and I'm glad I bought it over any other models, it has great color and exposure, great build quality, but it's not perfect, I can see artifacts and lens aberrations in its pictures. I'm also looking into getting a better one, and still can't decide, but now I'm leaning more towards Panasonic rather than Canon...

Here's yet another site with best buy recommendations:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/best_buys/digital_cameras

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FS7 (may have a better quality lens than most compacts)

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W230 (W270 may be similar but have more and better features, longer zoom,etc.)

The Canon IXUS 80 and earlier models were some of the best, but now their latest models are overpriced and underfeatured, there are plenty of competing models now with longer optical zoom ranges, bigger LCD's... (even Casio may have some good models, but the newer Canons, Panasonics, and Sonys have more effective, optical image stabilizers, but not on all models).

We'll get there eventually! :D

• 3 weeks later...

i was just wondering if anyone has seen any sample quality photos of the Casio Exilim EX-Z21?

or if they have any information regarding the specs of that camera. Is it worth a buy for typical point and shoot?

i know its different from the previous cameras ive looked at in the past however :)

its strange how there is no reviews about this camera. Is it because it is brand new or because its just a poor camera? :p

• 2 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting a thread 2 months later...has anyone tried out the Pentax WS80? I've looked everywhere for a review but only found 1 on newegg that said pictures were always grainy no matter what, video quality was garbage and the guy said the way it was built he wouldn't trust putting it anywhere near water because the back door doesn't seem like it'd keep water out...it looks like a good camera, it's exactly what I'm looking for in terms of budget, I can't find any real hands-on experiences though. I'm going on a trip next month so being waterproof is a definite plus, given that the last trip I went on with a camcorder ended up in the camcorder getting soaking dripping wet haha.

Basically the biggest points I'm looking for are 720p video, 4-5x optical zoom, uses SD (or microSD with an SD adapter) media (so no Sony), and no more than $325 or so. I had an Exilim camera back a few years ago, it didn't have optical zoom (only digital) and the pictures were grainy, have they improved since then?

Edited by stokd