Legally backup/copy ps3 games?

Asking this because I do this with all my computer dvd/cd such as vista. The original was copied and put away. I use the copy for all my needs. That way if the copy is scratched/broken/lost/whatever I always have the original to make a new one from.

Is there a way to legally make a copy of my ps3 games? My first purchase is going to be rock band.....I love that game. :D

Blu-ray disks are scratch proof, aren't they?

In my experience, yes :p I've had Uncharted for 2 years now and my brother leaves it out of its case, on the floor and there isn't a single mark on it, makes me happy :D

Yes, you can make a copy of them. There is just no way of playing them at this time, so it's pretty pointless for most people.

Blu-ray disks are more scratch resistant, but not scratch proof. I don't think there is such a thing as scratch proof. You can scratch a diamond, right?

Well then maybe I won't even bother. Is that program 'easy backup wizard' that claims to be able to copy/backup ps3 games and make them playable on the ps3 a scam?

You could if you wanted with the right DVD drive, but not play them back. The PS3 has yet to be hacked to that extent (you can play the homebrew game Pong on it).

I don't understand the whole I want to copy my original games so I don't scratch them!!! People who want this just want to pirate!!

I've got everyone of my games for my PS3 all 20 od of them and every one still works, even after 2 years!

I don't understand the whole I want to copy my original games so I don't scratch them!!! People who want this just want to pirate!!

Well, I backup DVDs that I purchase so as not to scratch the originals. So I fail to see where you don't understand that people want to protect their investments.

Well, I backup DVDs that I purchase so as not to scratch the originals. So I fail to see where you don't understand that people want to protect their investments.

you could always take better care of them?

you could always take better care of them?

Accidents happen. I always try to be careful with my discs but every now and then, something stupid happens. Lets not forget that kids and women have absolutely no idea (or care to for that matter) how to handle a disc.

Well then maybe I won't even bother. Is that program 'easy backup wizard' that claims to be able to copy/backup ps3 games and make them playable on the ps3 a scam?

I've never heard of the program you mentioned, but if that is what they are claiming, then I can assure you it's a scam.

Accidents happen. You could drop the disc on a dirty floor or something. Lets not forget that kids and women have absolutely no idea (or care to for that matter) how to handle a disc.

1. Keep your floor clean

2. don't have kids

3. it's DVDs or women you can't own both :whistle:.

At this moment in time it's not possible to play backups.

As for taking care of discs I do need to admit I also fail to see why people claim it's hard to keep things in good condition. I've never once had a disc for any platform, pc/ps1/ps2/ps3/xbox 360 or Wii end up so badly damaged it didn't work. Same goes for DVDs and Blu Ray movies.

If you have kids it might be slightly different, but a lot of people on here are younger gamers, not those with children.

I guess I also do take really good care of what I buy, I mean, it's mine, I've paid money for it, If I don't look after it I might as well just go outside and key my car for the hell of it! It's your stuff, look after it.

I just looked up that "easy backup wizard", and MAN have they spammed the hell out of Google, even to the point of having multiple posts on Youtube and various unknown "review" sites that are nothing but advertisements! While they claim to be able to make 100% backups of PS3 titles, I'd be VERY leary of them until they are reviewed on a reputable site.

Found some info doing a domain name search on the site:

Registration Service Provided By: NameCheap.com

Visit: http://www.namecheap.com/

Domain name: EASYBACKUPWIZARD.COM

Registrant Contact:

Vrc

Vince Martela ()

Fax:

Dzon

Skopje, MK 1000

MK

Administrative Contact:

Vrc

Vince Martela (vojdanvr@gmail.com)

+1.34

Fax: +1.5555555555

Dzon

Skopje, MK 1000

MK

Technical Contact:

Vrc

Vince Martela (vojdanvr@gmail.com)

+1.34

Fax: +1.5555555555

Dzon

Skopje, MK 1000

MK

Name Servers:

ns1383.hostgator.com

ns1384.hostgator.com

Creation date: 08 Mar 2009 21:39:15

Expiration date: 08 Mar 2010 22:39:15

It seems they are in Macedonia, and only created the site on March 8th. It appears that they didn't even use a valid phone number for their domain registration, so again, I'd be VERY suspicious of them. They even currently claim this on their order page:

NOTE: Due to the high demand because of our promotional discount, our Credit Card system is experiencing temporary outages! In case your credit card is declined, please use the other payment options available through clickbank.
Sounds like a scam to collect credit card info to me. Edited by roadwarrior

1. Keep your floor clean

2. don't have kids

3. it's DVDs or women you can't own both :whistle:.

All of that response is puke.

1. You can clean every damn day and you're still going to have some dirt lying around. It doesn't take much to scratch a CD ya know.

2. I don't but the ones that do don't have a return policy.

3. Who said anything about owning women? Its not too much to ask for your significant other to respect and carefully handle something you paid good money for. From experience, women and children just don't care, so nothing wrong with taking precautions.

Do you work for a media company or something? If Blu-Ray discs are indeed very scratch resistant, then making backups isn't really needed, but for regular music CDs, DVDs and PC software, there is a legitimate reason to do so.

Making backups of your own games is a perfectly legitimate practice.

The kids argument is very valid

I dropped a disc 2 days ago and put a nice scratch on it, (hit the foot of a table) was gutted for about 2 seconds then threw it in the bin.

I have crazy mates and we have some mental house party's, I try to keep them in check, but **** happens. (usually by me lol)

My Woman is not allowed to touch my discs lol (so glad she never reads this ****)

There are a billion other environments other than the one you live in, and this is not directed at anybody in particular, but I really ****ing hate when people are so narrow minded that the can't see past there own little world.

Is it too much to get a dvd case like this post-30626-1244306995.jpg and put your games in there after playing. I have been doing this for years and I never had a scratched disk.

I dropped a disc 2 days ago and put a nice scratch on it, (hit the foot of a table) was gutted for about 2 seconds then threw it in the bin.

I have crazy mates and we have some mental house party's, I try to keep them in check, but **** happens. (usually by me lol)

Surely this is exactly the point that some people are trying to make...it's you (and your mates) not taking care of your discs...

Surely this is exactly the point that some people are trying to make...it's you (and your mates) not taking care of your discs...

Again, accidents happen. People aren't perfect and backups are a solution to those unfortunate times. If he had dropped a backup, then all he lost nothing but the time it took to burn another copy from his original.

That still doesn't invalidate making a backup. Software is not like hardware, It's not the 1p disc they are selling you but a licence to use their ?40 software, or a hell of a lot more for other types of software. It's like they want to have it both ways, you pay for it, but you don't own it. Well d'you know what? **** you. I paid for it, I'll do what I like with it. Sue me.

It's like this whole thing with with MP3's. If you buy an album from the iTunes store, do you then have to buy another copy if you want it on you iPod, or do you have tomove> the file each time you want to listen to it on a different device?

I don't have all the answers, but if people are not profiting from it, then I don't see a problem.

People want to protect their investment, and if it can be done for 10p then of course they are going to do it, (kind of sill not to really) and try as they might there is nothing they can do to stop it.

The fact is, millions of people do it, business do it, Schools do it, it's legitimate.

We're always told to back up, back up, back up. Just not your software, because that is some how evil!

Maybe if there was a cheap trade in system for damaged discs in place, and I mean truly cheap, then of none of this would be an issue.

That's why things like PSN are cool, if your you software becomes damaged or deleted, no problem, you've paid for it once, download it again free of charge.

My only gripe with download only content is that its usable only for as long as the content provider wishes to support it. Say you buy a bunch of stuff from XBL and they release a new console that contains hardware from a totally different company. MS could simply say sorry all previous content is no longer supported or offered for free DL. What happens to all that cool stuff you bought? Of course there would be a huge backlash if they did it as soon as the next Gen systems, but whose to say it won't happen eventually. No hard copy, no second-hand selling and drastically reduced chance of piracy. Everything is on their terms. Great for them, ultimate loss for you. That being said, I still buy some of the arcade stuff, like R-Type, BC Re-armed, etc cause they're fun and not available anywhere else. I've just accepted them as "disposable". Shame but this is where gaming/software is heading.

I think the case to legally allow backups is a legitimate argument. I have little cousins in the house all the time and of course their main focus is the video game consoles. I try to handle the games myself but you can watch kids 24/7 and accidents do happen.

I've personally found that those storage cases cause more harm then good. Sliding the disks in and out have scratched most of my PS2 games.

If I could make backups of my disks, I would pickup a BD burner in a second to do so. I've blew hundreds on my games and its worth protecting your investment.

My only gripe with download only content is that its usable only for as long as the content provider wishes to support it. Say you buy a bunch of stuff from XBL and they release a new console that contains hardware from a totally different company. MS could simply say sorry all previous content is no longer supported or offered for free DL. What happens to all that cool stuff you bought? Of course there would be a huge backlash if they did it as soon as the next Gen systems, but whose to say it won't happen eventually. No hard copy, no second-hand selling and drastically reduced chance of piracy. Everything is on their terms. Great for them, ultimate loss for you. That being said, I still buy some of the arcade stuff, like R-Type, BC Re-armed, etc cause they're fun and not available anywhere else. I've just accepted them as "disposable". Shame but this is where gaming/software is heading.

Agreed 100%