Legally backup/copy ps3 games?

The only kind of hack there is for PS3 is the 60gb models where you can run PS1/PS2 backups by hacking the drive, or getting a PS2 swap magic disc and using it to run a USB loader from HDD.

ooooo :D

From a legal standpoint there is nothing stopping your from backing them up. From a technical standpoint there is. If ps3 games are copy protected the same way ps2 and ps1 games were then aside from modding your system back up just wont work. The playstation discs have intentional bad sectors on the discs. These are verified with the playstation and thats how it knows its a real game and not a back up. Modding your system takes out that check for the bad sectors. Because the way burnners are now they try to right a disc as accurately as possible so it wont write out bad sectors and the bad sectors the playstation checks are in an area on the disc that most burners couldnt even write to if the person wanted them to. So in short thats why you cant do back ups of ps3 games.

Holy cow!!

3 pages of replies to tell someone, no, you can't do that?! :blink:

It all started with Brad. lol

But it actually ended up containing some good info, so... :woot:

From a legal standpoint there is nothing stopping your from backing them up. From a technical standpoint there is. If ps3 games are copy protected the same way ps2 and ps1 games were then aside from modding your system back up just wont work. The playstation discs have intentional bad sectors on the discs. These are verified with the playstation and thats how it knows its a real game and not a back up. Modding your system takes out that check for the bad sectors. Because the way burnners are now they try to right a disc as accurately as possible so it wont write out bad sectors and the bad sectors the playstation checks are in an area on the disc that most burners couldnt even write to if the person wanted them to. So in short thats why you cant do back ups of ps3 games.

Um no, you can make PS3 backups using Swiss Army Knife. There's just no method of playing them because of the security checks.

• 5 months later...

sad but true...!!!! maybe someone will hack the new technology!!

apparently on blueray disks there is a little chip that studios can track where the dvd is., so the blueray wont play unless it has that chip.. and sadly it seems impossible to be able to copy that

Is it too much to get a dvd case like this post-30626-1244306995.jpg and put your games in there after playing. I have been doing this for years and I never had a scratched disk.

What if it gets lost or stolen? You lose ALL your games.

You are right and you are wrong. Yes, the PS2 used bad sectors but that is not the only protection it used. It, as you may know, was also hacked. The PS3 uses something different that for now cannot be accessed to run backups.

apparently on blueray disks there is a little chip that studios can track where the dvd is., so the blueray wont play unless it has that chip.. and sadly it seems impossible to be able to copy that

I have never heard of this and searching for "chip" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc shows nothing so....I believe you are incorrect. Besides, Blu-ray discs can be copied/backed up and played in Blu-ray players. The problem lies in PS3 Blu-ray discs.

You MAY be confused with a digital signature but that can be reproduced very quickly.

As for taking care of discs I do need to admit I also fail to see why people claim it's hard to keep things in good condition. I've never once had a disc for any platform, pc/ps1/ps2/ps3/xbox 360 or Wii end up so badly damaged it didn't work.

Unfortunately, I did. However, it was completely my 3-year-old's fault, as she had inserted pennies into my Wii and we didn't know before inserting Mario Kart. The disc now won't play, only because of a small crack on the edge. I need to rent another copy and return the defective one. :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...
Asking this because I do this with all my computer dvd/cd such as vista. The original was copied and put away. I use the copy for all my needs. That way if the copy is scratched/broken/lost/whatever I always have the original to make a new one from.

Is there a way to legally make a copy of my ps3 games? My first purchase is going to be rock band.....I love that game. :D

if thats know everyone would copy it illegally