Fedora 11 due tommorow

Fedora 11 is due tommorow, according to the site: http://fedoraproject.org/

Discuss! I'll be writing something up on it tommorow, maybe with screenshots :)

Check out the new features here: Link

Some of my favourites:

Windows Cross-compiler Build and test full-featured Windows programs, from the comfort of the Fedora system, without needing to use Windows.

20 Second Startup Make Fedora boot and shut down faster. The goal is to be at the login screen in 20 seconds and then to be as fast as possible after the login (gnome-session).

ext4 Default file system Make ext4 the default files system for anaconda-driven installs (replacing ext3). User should notice generally better performance, and benefit from things like persistent preallocation when using updated torrent clients, etc.

Thanks for the heads-up. I will be following Phoronix, hopefully they test the performance in a day or two, as they usually do with noteworthy distros. (Y)

I'm not sure when the download links will be up. Hopefully they will put it on the torrents so I can leave it for an overnight download, ready for a review in the morning.

I dunno by what time the counter on their site goes by. I'll stay up until 12, and if it's not realeased by then it'll have to wait until morning.

Wonder if the transition from F10 will be smooth, I'm quite happy with my current install, but some of the new features are tempting ^_^

I dunno by what time the counter on their site goes by. I'll stay up until 12, and if it's not realeased by then it'll have to wait until morning

You could cheat and review the RC4 .iso which was built like a week ago ;)

Looks like it will be released in afternoon for us UK folks, if this is anything to go by:

Historically Test and General Availability releases happen at 10:00am Eastern US Time, which is either 1500UTC or 1400UTC depending on daylight saving in the United States. See Releases/Schedule for more information about scheduling methodology and schedule milestone definitions

I would love to try Fedora, but downloading 3 disks or almost 2gb does not make sense for a free OS. Look at Ubuntu, they still making one standard cd for the OS.

I would love to try Fedora, but downloading 3 disks or almost 2gb does not make sense for a free OS. Look at Ubuntu, they still making one standard cd for the OS.

True, but in all fairness, once I download the newest Ubuntu and do a clean install I then download at least 1GB of other software to complete my system. :)

Well, they aren't equivalent because what you are comparing isn't equivalent. :p

It is closer to compare Fedora with Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu all together.

OOh, fantastic, my boss told me to dual boot ubuntu server and fedora server. Great news, hopefully they have the server 64 bit up tmrw

Fedora has a 1 disc live cd available just like ubuntu...you don't have to get the dvd.

I always find it best to wait a bit before leaping into a new version, especially Fedora. Fedora always has a lot of cutting edge stuff and some of it always needs a little time so they can work the kinks out. Plus, as so many people are trying to grab it, the server slows down to nothing. Looking forward to some screenshots and reviews, however.

And...I always use the Fedora LiveCD. Just like Ubuntu. :)

Plus, as so many people are trying to grab it, the server slows down to nothing.

Just for what it's worth, that part is absolutely irrelevant (and false) with official torrents. (Y)

I always find it best to wait a bit before leaping into a new version, especially Fedora. Fedora always has a lot of cutting edge stuff and some of it always needs a little time so they can work the kinks out. Plus, as so many people are trying to grab it, the server slows down to nothing. Looking forward to some screenshots and reviews, however.

And...I always use the Fedora LiveCD. Just like Ubuntu. smile.gif

Well you'd be right to normally think that, but this version has been delayed by months in an attempt to ensure a smooth launch :).

The download links aren't up yet, I guess I'll just be refreshing http://fedoraproject.org/ all the way up until 15:00 :p

Hmm, strange, when I go to the Fedora website it still says "coming in 1 day". Where did you guys find these links? The site still looks the same for me.

EDIT: Looks like the torrents are just about all that are up - all the mirrors don't have it yet.

Edited by Sazz181

Just for what it's worth, that part is absolutely irrelevant (and false) with official torrents. (Y)

Not all of us can use torrents. I'm behind the corporate firewall at work and I have limited bandwidth at home. I am allowed to download FTP or HTTP at work, though. So that is neither false or irrelevant in my case. I suspect others have similar problems.

It's up now! Hopefully my news post will be up on the main page soon, but here are the interesting links:

Download page (all versions)

Mirrors Page (for HTTP/FTP downloads)

Fedora 11 Release Notes

Fedora 11 Screenshot Tour

Downloading now, getting speeds of 700kb/s earlier, on BitTorrent anyway. I expect the mirrors will be updated with the latest version over the next few hours.

Not all of us can use torrents. I'm behind the corporate firewall at work and I have limited bandwidth at home. I am allowed to download FTP or HTTP at work, though. So that is neither false or irrelevant in my case. I suspect others have similar problems.

For those that can only use plain HTTP/FTP, yeah, you will get slammed.

I never stated you were lying, just that the warning of slow servers was irrelevant in the world of torrents.