XSi + Nice Lens or 50D + Ok Lens

1) Canon EOS-50D SLR Digital Camera Body @ $ 1,089.95 + Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens @ $432.54 = $1,522.49

OR

2) Canon EOS Rebel XSI Digital Camera Black Body @ $599.95 + Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM @ $960.00 = $1559.95

As you can see it is barely a difference in price, so what is better for me to begin with? and yes my budget is limited to $1,600 USD

And I'm open to other camera + lens recommendations

edit: I chose those lens because they seem to be great as "walk around" lens, and that is what I will be doing mostly, at first

Edited by leph555

lok at getting the Xsi with a great lens. some lenses on cheaper DSLR's will yield lousy photos.

What about 40D + canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS?

Also, I have that tamron lens on the nikon mount. I'm pretty happy with it.

lok at getting the Xsi with a great lens. some lenses on cheaper DSLR's will yield lousy photos.

so cheaper lenses on expensive DSLRs will yield better photos? Not likely. The better the DSLR, the better the sensor, and the more noticeable the poor performance of a bad lens becomes.

What about 40D + canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS?

40D is $849.95 and that lens is $960.00 so it will come out to $1,809.95 which is $200 over my budget.

I also say get XSI + great lens. XSI is more then capable camera. It has the speed and the functionality along with really good images and a great lens will compensate for any minor flaws it might have. I have XSI and using default lens and it produces amazing images I can't even imagine how cool the photos would look like with the lens you picked.

I can't even imagine how cool the photos would look like with the lens you picked.

About the same as the tamron 17-50mm f2.8, only sharper when viewed at 100%.

Thank you for the input guys.

Also is anyone expecting a new 60D this summer? I mean since the 50D was released a year after the 40D, will the 60D follow in the same footsteps?

• 2 weeks later...

Go with the Rebel XSi and 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. It's a wonderful camera and it should go well with the lens. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience when I say this: You don't want to end up with a "better" camera and "worse" lens. As for the 60D, I highly doubt we'll see it this year. A 2010 release is more likely.