72-year old great-grandmother tasered by police

SHOCKING footage of cops Tasering a great-grandma after she refused to accept a speeding fine has been released by US authorities.

Frail Kathryn Winfein,72, is shown screaming and convulsing on the ground after being zapped by the 50,000 volt Taser charge.

As she tries to get up the officer fires another jolt of electricity into her body.

Earlier, she is seen being roughly shoved by a Texas sheriff's deputy who towers over the 5ft 2in tall pensioner.

The dramatic confrontation has sparked outrage and complaints of police brutality after video footage from a police dashboard camera" captured the May incident and aired in the US.

The confrontation began after Winkfien was pulled over on to the hard shoulder after being caught driving 60mph in a 45mph zone in Travis County, Texas.

She was on her way home from a weekly shopping trip to Austin when Sheriff's Deputy Chris Beize pulled her over.

The video footage shows the officer fire the taser into her body and she collapses instantly to the floor. A second jolt was fired when she refused to stay down.

Authorities said an ambulance was called to take Winkfein to hospital but she did not need treatment and instead taken to jail.

Travis County police spokesman Sgt Major Gary Griffin said: "She was using language I wouldn't expect any woman to use, let alone a 72-year-old woman."

Source (and video).

What's your take on this? I think it was a bit over the top to taser her but she is in the wrong herself. She was swearing at the officer, she refused to back away from him, and she was speeding in the first place anyway.

Wow. Well maybe Winkfien was a little at fault, but I'm pretty sure the officer took it over the top when he tasered a 75-year-old woman.

Personally, I think the taser is used far too often as a replacement for a lack of negotiation and customer service skills by the officer. It's my opinion that it's far cheaper to provide these 'tools' than it is to address the aforementioned skills gap.

I bet she won't be needing any store bought Geritol soon.....50,000 volt Taser charge should juice her up for a few weeks.

LOL.

That could have easily killed her if she had a pacemaker...

Exactly. Even though she broke the law, this is over the top. The police officer should be reprimanded and fired.

Exactly. Even though she broke the law, this is over the top. The police officer should be reprimanded and fired.

The elderly woman should have known better than to curse to a Police Officer after breaking the law. He was doing his job.

What the hell since when was cussing at a police officer grounds to get out a goddamn taser i cant believe people are trying to justify this.

In the UK the regular police dont have tasers and they manage fine with young strong offenders how in the hell was using a taser on a great grandma justified in any way.

The elderly woman should have known better than to curse to a Police Officer after breaking the law. He was doing his job.

Was he incapable of restraining this 'elderly woman' do you think? I'd like to hear what peoples opinions are on why this officer felt he could not restrain and handcuff Mrs. Winkfien and she could only be subdued using a weapon.

When I read the title, I was thinking a sweet old lady with her knitting goods getting brutally dragged out her car and just tasered into oblivion. Then I watch the video and see an arrogant, annoying old crow failing to comply with simple instructions and giving a damn about several warnings made by the police officer - She deserved it 100%, I would probably have given her a knuckle sandwich .... Then again, I'm not an policeman.

I hate to say it, but... She deserved it. The cop would have done the same with any other person, I believe.

Oh come on. Tasers were introduced to be able to control criminals who the police would otherwise have problems controlling. There is no way the OAP in question would have been able to cause that many problems for the police. Its scary how many coppers are just legalised thugs. I'm not saying all are, but a good number are.

Was he incapable of restraining this 'elderly woman' do you think? I'd like to hear what peoples opinions are on why this officer felt he could not restrain and handcuff Mrs. Winkfien and she could only be subdued using a weapon.

*cough* Post #12 *cough* :whistle:

Tasering a 75 year old woman is doing his job? LOL. The cops should only use a taser when someone is violent or might become so. You don't use it because someone curses you out.

I hate to say it, but... She deserved it. The cop would have done the same with any other person, I believe.
She did deserve it, but it's pretty risky considering that's she's 72 and she doesn't really pose a threat.

I agree, she did deserve it, although it is risky considering her age, and she isn't a threat. However, I think the taser is used too much and was unnecessary for that situation, but nonetheless, the officer wasn't breaking any rules.

He gave her several warnings telling her to comply and get tasered, she accepted the consequence. She was also pretty worked up, imagine the police officer having to restrain her and apply some muscle, she would probably have broken a hip and an arm, THEN you people would have turned the whining up from 5 to 11 :p

Tasering is a nice compliance tool, she was screaming like a little girl so it worked and she lived - They all lived happily ever after.

The Officer can't take a a few curse words thrown at him, and thrown at him by a 72 yr old woman at that? Insecure mother****er, he should be fired.

Seriously why not just stand at the side of the road take the ticket get in your car then complain about the ticket in court rather than trying to push a cop into traffic, to the people saying why couldn't he restrain her what would have happened if he tried to restrain her and she resists? you can't be fighting at the side of a motorway he would have also hurt her a lot more forcing her to the ground, tazers are used a lot more than they should be but you can't be fighting or pushing or anything at the side of a motorway it's just to dangerous, and he tazed her for pushing him and not taking the ticket not for swearing at him.

I think the lesson to be taken home here is don't be retarded, and stuff like this won't happen in the first place. She looks like she had some karma built up that finally bit her in the ass.

ummm... aren't cops supposed to be trained to apprehend people (especially 75 year old grandmas) without having to use violence?

what i really find disturbing is some of the comments you people have left (she deserved it?)

the internet generation (just like our recent law enforcement) is a lost cause....

ummm... aren't cops supposed to be trained to apprehend people (especially 75 year old grandmas) without having to use violence?

what i really find disturbing is some of the comments you people have left (she deserved it?)

the internet generation (just like our recent law enforcement) is a lost cause....

How do you restrain someone who doesn't WANT to be restrained without violence? 72 year old women can kick you in the nuts, stomp on your cubes when you're down, steal your gun and kill you. People hear the age and act like she can't be aggressive or dangerous, but from the video I saw she was both.

However, I probably would have let her back into her car, and let her drive off. Then, if she fights the ticket show the dash cam and it would be all over with, GUILTY!