72-year old great-grandmother tasered by police

ummm... aren't cops supposed to be trained to apprehend people (especially 75 year old grandmas) without having to use violence?

what i really find disturbing is some of the comments you people have left (she deserved it?)

the internet generation (just like our recent law enforcement) is a lost cause....

I have to somewhat agree...if we didn't have the internet we never would have seen how a person can act ignorant...she would have just gone home...stayed away from water (electricity and water don't mix) until she dis-charged...figured out she should have just 'obeyed' and took up any complaints in the proper manner. Now she probably missed her re-run of 'The Golden Girls' and being evaluated by the World Wide Web.

what i really find disturbing is some of the comments you people have left (she deserved it?)

Maybe they are police in training, slobbering over the thought of their first time to take down a 72 year old granny with a taser. That seems the kind of idiots that make up our police force these days.

ummm... aren't cops supposed to be trained to apprehend people (especially 75 year old grandmas) without having to use violence?

the internet generation (just like our recent law enforcement) is a lost cause....

She resisted arrest! So at least she should thank she only got shocked.

Age has nothing to do with it.

Maybe they are police in training, slobbering over the thought of their first time to take down a 72 year old granny with a taser. That seems the kind of idiots that make up our police force these days.

agreed

its sick that people think that she deserved it

and cmon, if a police officer cant handle bad language, and cant handle a 72 year old lady, he should be fired

cops nowadays are the biggest pansies ive ever seen, im glad i show them no respect and treat them like high school dropouts

For you people defending the old hag, the real world shows you that you can never be sure about old people. An 88 old man shot and killed a guard in the Washington Holocaust Museum.

For you people defending the old hag, the real world shows you that you can never be sure about old people. An 88 old man shot and killed a guard in the Washington Holocaust Museum.

88?! :o Jesus christ! I did see that two people were killed on Sky News earlier, but it never said that! Looking around as well, it says that the gunman was part of an anti-semitic website.

When I read the title, I was thinking a sweet old lady with her knitting goods getting brutally dragged out her car and just tasered into oblivion. Then I watch the video and see an arrogant, annoying old crow failing to comply with simple instructions and giving a damn about several warnings made by the police officer - She deserved it 100%, I would probably have given her a knuckle sandwich .... Then again, I'm not an policeman.

lol she should have just accepted the fine

WTF? Seriously why are american police officers so weak they have to use tasers all the time to apprehend someone?

The police here don't have tasers and they manage just fine by using their negatiation skills in most cases like this but no not american police they don't have any so instead they get told to use weapons instead of their mouths and physical strength if things get out of hand.

The only police here that have tasers are the armed response police who also carry guns and they can only use either when a suspect has a weapon and poses a real threat.

American police officers in my opinion are weak and lack any real people skills hence why they have to use weapons all the time no matter what the situation.

They can learn a thing or two from our police officers that's for sure.

You can also here the lady cleary ask the officer for the paper work and her saying she'll sign it just before he shoved her but no he didn't listen and just got aggressive instead.

If the police in the states learn and use people skills instead of making threats then maybe people won't get so po'd and start swearing in the first place. The police officers actions in this case as in many I've seen on american police shows are just asking for trouble and are causing the person to get so wound up and uncooperative.

At worse the lady should have been physically apprehended but even this should have been a last resort.

Ask yourselves this....if an angry customer starts shouting and swearing at the shop worker does the shop worker have the right to then grap a taser and start tasering the customer?

No of course not the shop worker in most cases at least here would use their people skills and try and calm the customer down. That's what I was trained to do in the joinery shop I used to work in and trust me I got a lot worse from some customers than this officer got from this lady but I managed ok and at the time I was an extremely shy and unconfident person so if I can manage it so could this officer and many others like him in the states.

WTF? Seriously why are american police officers so weak they have to use tasers all the time to apprehend someone?

The police here don't have tasers and they manage just fine by using their negatiation skills in most cases like this but no not american police they don't have any so instead they get told to use weapons instead of their mouths and physical strength if things get out of hand.

The only police here that have tasers are the armed response police who also carry guns and they can only use either when a suspect has a weapon and poses a real threat.

American police officers in my opinion are weak and lack any real people skills hence why they have to use weapons all the time no matter what the situation.

They can learn a thing or two from our police officers that's for sure.

You can also here the lady cleary ask the officer for the paper work and her saying she'll sign it just before he shoved her but no he didn't listen and just got aggressive instead.

If the police in the states learn and use people skills instead of making threats then maybe people won't get so po'd and start swearing in the first place. The police officers actions in this case as in many I've seen on american police shows are just asking for trouble and are causing the person to get so wound up and uncooperative.

At worse the lady should have been physically apprehended but even this should have been a last resort.

Ask yourselves this....if an angry customer starts shouting and swearing at the shop worker does the shop worker have the right to then grap a taser and start tasering the customer?

No of course not the shop worker in most cases at least here would use their people skills and try and calm the customer down. That's what I was trained to do in the joinery shop I used to work in and trust me I got a lot worse from some customers than this officer got from this lady but I managed ok and at the time I was an extremely shy and unconfident person so if I can manage it so could this officer and many others like him in the states.

:yes:

Source (and video).

What's your take on this? I think it was a bit over the top to taser her but she is in the wrong herself. She was swearing at the officer, she refused to back away from him, and she was speeding in the first place anyway.

oh no, this tiny old woman is swearing at me "TASE!!!!"

your cops would run out of taser cartrudges in a day over here in Scandinavialand.

Pretty disgusting if you ask me. I don't see why the cops couldn't have just grabbed her and handcuffed her, the shock of a taser could seriously **** an elderly up (let alone **** someone of any age up, as research has shown).

Taser use by police officers is out of control. Most of the high points have already been mentioned and this in no way justified tasering the old woman.

Edited by Umbrello

I don't really want to say that she had it coming to her... However I think the officer could have after seeing the video thought that she may do more harm to herself. Did anyone else notice that she walked into oncoming traffic 3 times as well as an attempted pushing the officer, but He was a little more bulky than she thought.

Still 2 times though-- to me that seemed a little excessive-- possibly could go for one and would have put her weakened.

I really don't care. Anyone willing to talk sh-- face to face with an officer is just asking for it. Call me "heartless" or whatever you want, but that's just how I feel. If it were me and my loved ones, guess what? I wouldn't feel any different.

Grandma's old enough to know better.

Grandma's old enough to know better.

Grandma's also old enough to have died from this attack. Would she have been asking for it then too? Purely justified then, right? Sure.

A shop worker is not a law enforcement officer, so no, the shop worker does not have the right to taser the customer.

Police officers on the other hand, are law enforcers, and have the right to taser a law breaking citizen.

Have some of you seen what happened in the Holocaust Museum today? An 88 year old man shot and killed a security guard.

Those defending the old sack because she is 72 should take a look at the real world. What if she had a gun on her and shot the guard after the discussion? Old people are as dangerous as 10 year olds.

maybe your right...he could have pushed her down...but then she would have died.

UK Police Knocked Down Man Who Died During G-20 Protests

http://www.javno.com/en-world/uk-police-wa...st-death_249126

Grandma's also old enough to have died from this attack. Would she have been asking for it then too? Purely justified then, right? Sure.

In all technicality, ANYONE can die from a taser. She was an old cow that didn't know how to shut up. Police officers need to do their job regardless of age, race, etc. The Taser is a tool the police officers have at their disposal, and he felt the need to use it, so he has all the power in the world to do so.

anyone who watched the full video knows she deserved it.

she refused to sign the ticket, then when shes told shes being arrested she starts pushing the officer.

he gave her tons of warning to put her hands behind her head, told her if she didnt she was going to be tasered, and she says "GO AHEAD! TASE ME!".

he gave her as many chances as he could then some.

she even denies it all in the interview.

Hmm no offence but seems to me from both this situation and a lot of comments in here that some americans simply have no morals.

Grow some balls instead of hiding behind those weapons and lame excuses you have.

You should watch road wars and see real policing in action.

Hmm no offence but seems to me from both this situation and a lot of comments in here that some americans simply have no morals.

Grow some balls instead of hiding behind those weapons and lame excuses you have.

You should watch road wars and see real policing in action.

what is he suppose to do then? put his arms on her and force her into the back of his car? then he'd be accussed of physical abuse. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. She came off lucky, many men have been shot for much less, so she can QQ at home for all I care. Bet her tongue is going to learn some respect for police in the future.

the media is also wrong for calling it a routine traffic stop. there's no such thing and they need to get that word out of people's heads.

what is he suppose to do then? put his arms on her and force her into the back of his car? then he'd be accussed of physical abuse. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. She came off lucky, many men have been shot for much less, so she can QQ at home for all I care. Bet her tongue is going to learn some respect for police in the future.

the media is also wrong for calling it a routine traffic stop. there's no such thing and they need to get that word out of people's heads.

Our police manage just fine with far worse situations without tasers and other weapons so why can't yours?

Our police manage just fine with far worse situations without tasers and other weapons so why can't yours?

to my knowledge your police and citizens have alot less guns than we do over here. now that's a different topic but the point is, in her state of mind she could have grabbed his gun or attempted to grab his gun and in the struggle caused them both to go into traffic. You say he was wrong, tell me what you think he should have done? keeping in mind there's no way you can restrain somebody without physicical violence being involved in some fashion.