Chastity Bono announces sex change

LOS ANGELES ? Chastity Bono is having a sex change to become a man. A spokesman for Bono, born a girl to Sonny and Cher, says he "has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity" and began the sex-change process earlier this year. Publicist Howard Bragman said Bono is proud of his decision and hopes "that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue."

The 40-year-old writer, activist and reality-TV star came out as gay 20 years ago, Bragman said.

In the book "Family Outing: A Guide to the Coming-Out Process for Gays, Lesbians, & Their Families," Bono describes the realization of being "somehow different ? specifically different from who my mom expected me to be."

A message left with Cher's representatives was not immediately returned Thursday.

Bono's second book, "The End of Innocence: A Memoir," details how relationships with Joan, a lover, and Sonny and Cher changed after coming out.

In 1995, Bono posed for the cover of the gay magazine The Advocate and began working for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD).

source

Why do they need to announce these things?

You'd think this was a private thing.

As someone in the public eye, it is normal to announce these things so as to avoid rumour and gossip. In addition, it raises public conciousness, which helps those who may be hiding such things from society for fear of the response.

You mean her.

No, him.

Some artists should not have offspring!

Why, exactly? Got a problem with this news?

As someone in the public eye, it is normal to announce these things so as to avoid rumour and gossip. In addition, it raises public conciousness, which helps those who may be hiding such things from society for fear of the response.

Well, apparently it's not a very public figure as I didn't even know this person existed until I read this news post :-)

Well, apparently it's not a very public figure as I didn't even know this person existed until I read this news post :-)

Tbh, the daughter/son of Cher and Sonny is a public figure, regardless of your knowledge of the person. (Though yes, I don't know of Bono well either, but I also am not in the right country or in the right circles).

Just because they make her an artificial donger, that doesn't make her a "him" now.

Well he's still more of a man now than for example Cristiano Ronaldo :-)

Just because they make her an artificial donger, that doesn't make her a "him" now.

Since when is gender decided solely on your genes? I don't think you realise just how many edge cases exist.

In any case, people are the gender they feel they are. What's wrong with respecting that? Conversely, why do you feel you can't respect that? What need is there to keep referring to him as her?

I can feel like a woman all I want but that doesn't change the fact that I have a dong which is pretty much the definition of being a man. You know, the classification of gender is based on your reproductive organs, right? So genetics has everything to do with it and "how you feel" has absolutely nothing do with it.

If I was White and I felt like a Black man would that make me a Black man? Hell no.

I can feel like a woman all I want but that doesn't change the fact that I have a dong which is pretty much the definition of being a man. You know, the classification of gender is based on your reproductive organs, right? So genetics has everything to do with it and "how you feel" has absolutely nothing do with it.

If I was White and I felt like a Black man would that make me a Black man? Hell no.

That doesn't appear to address why you seem unable to respect their wishes.

And no, "gender" is not solely based on your reproductive organs. Nothing is as simple as that. You may wish to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity

Your argument about white/black doesn't work unless you take into account someone actually changing their skin colour.

Since when is gender decided solely on your genes? I don't think you realise just how many edge cases exist.

In any case, people are the gender they feel they are. What's wrong with respecting that? Conversely, why do you feel you can't respect that? What need is there to keep referring to him as her?

Because it's a her? The reason why I feel I can't respect that is because of the fact that I'm an opinionated ****** and these kinds of things drive me nuts :p .

I mean really, the science exists that I could for instance get artificial scales all over my body and call myself a reptile. Does that make me a reptile now? No, it makes me a guy that has artificial scales all over his body, calling himself a reptile :p.

Another thing is I feel it's a disservice to the people who have this problem. It's caused by the part of the brain that's supposed to tell them they are for instance a woman, not working properly and telling them they are a man. Rather than telling them "ok, you're a man now then!!" wouldn't it be better to actually look more into the cause and hopefully find a cure, so they can have normal lives and not have to go through radical and extensive surgery/hormone therapy, mutilating their bodies?

I don't really care what she does to herself, just as long as she doesn't try to fool a girl into thinking she's a guy.

*sigh*

Fine, you can all have your narrow worldviews. I'm sorry if people don't comply with how you see the world, but you'll just have to deal with it some day.

*sigh*

Fine, you can all have your narrow worldviews. I'm sorry if people don't comply with how you see the world, but you'll just have to deal with it some day.

Narrow? I have no problem with her deciding what she wants to do to herself, which is why I said I don't care. You don't think there would be a problem if she didn't tell another woman that she was a transsexual?

You don't think there would be a problem if she didn't tell another woman that she was a transsexual?

I think that would be up to them, not you.

You call it freedom, I call it self mutilation :wacko:

Exactly. People should not be allowed to do stuff like that. You are what you are born with, and you should live with that. The whole male or female in an oposite body is nothing more but a mental disability! And instead of attaching 'things' to herself she should rather get her brain fixed.