Neowin - Should it still be in a Mac users bookmarks?

Reading Neowin these past weeks, the tone of most of the windows posters on the forum and the main news site has seemed to have become very hostile, theres a exceeding amount of bile being thrown about, you only have to read the latest safari story, 70% of the posts have little to do with the subject, but are being posted to get a kick in, no matter if its correct or not.

I don't know if this is because there is now a younger element just joining?

There was a post in the news section very similar to what I'm asking, if you are a macuser, is Neowin still a site worth visiting for calm tech news and discussion or is it best moving on?

Stop speaking crap. People are entitled to their opinions and just because you are a Mac user and disagree with them doesn't mean Neowin is a bad website. Now get out of your reality distortion field and just accept that no website is perfect. If you want all goodie news about Apple etc, then goto a Apple web site or something.

Neowin is not Microsoft orientated, it's a news website for everyone, and I hate it when people generalise this place for being Pro-MS and Anti-Apple/Linux.

Stop speaking crap. People are entitled to their opinions and just because you are a Mac user and disagree with them doesn't mean Neowin is a bad website. Now get out of your reality distortion field and just accept that no website is perfect. If you want all goodie news about Apple etc, then goto a Apple web site or something.

Neowin is not Microsoft orientated, it's a news website for everyone, and I hate it when people generalise this place for being Pro-MS and Anti-Apple/Linux.

You cannot be seriously saying that neowin ISN'T Microsoft-oriented and pro-MS... While I do not have problems with it, I notice it in the general topics concerning mac's (the mac forums not so much) and in the gamer section, where the vast majority of the user base is pro MS and not-so-pro Sony...

I don't agree however that it has become a hostile environment - it's not deteriorated that much, thanks to the mods... nonetheless, some posts here and there are just pro microsoft without real arguments, but hey, what are you gonna do... it's called neowin for a reason...

And I'm sure Windows gets its fair share of bashing here as well.

And I have to agree that there is a pro-MS attitude, but it's not hostile.

People are entitled to their opinions and just because you are a Mac user and disagree with them doesn't mean Neowin is a bad website. Now get out of your reality distortion field

Both sentences are not really making your argument convincing . At home, I have two Windows machines and one Mac.

Currently at Work, my machine is a Windows PC.

You cannot be seriously saying that neowin ISN'T Microsoft-oriented and pro-MS... While I do not have problems with it, I notice it in the general topics concerning mac's (the mac forums not so much) and in the gamer section, where the vast majority of the user base is pro MS and not-so-pro Sony...

I don't agree however that it has become a hostile environment - it's not deteriorated that much, thanks to the mods... nonetheless, some posts here and there are just pro microsoft without real arguments, but hey, what are you gonna do... it's called neowin for a reason...

Don't even bring the gamers section into this. Before the PS3 was released, all the topics in the gaming section was just Sony fan boys being ass's, but since Sony ****ed up, people are getting their own back. Just because that's happened doesn't mean it's not a good thing. You can't really go to a website without people expressing how they really feel.

Neowin was very MS orientated awhile ago, but since both OS X (Apple as a company) and Linux have grown, so has the community. But Apple have gotten a bit of bad press recently, and that was a given after all the rumours which hyped it to hell. Neowin isn't even to blame, a lot of news websites including macromours.com did the same thing.

Both sentences are not really making your argument convincing . At home, I have two Windows machines and one Mac.

Currently at Work, my machine is a Windows PC.

So what? Apple gets a bit of bad news, Microsoft does it and people crawl all over those topics. Have you seen Digg.com recently? Bloody hell, that place has gone off the rails.

Okay, let's not fight over something so stupid.

There's already a thread in the soapbox about this.

Soap box? Is that a forum section on here? ah I didn't know that.

Nope I don't visit Digg

Way to throw fuel on the fire. You're merely repeating one side of a cyclic argument that will never end by pointing the finger at "the Windows users" when the real problem is trolling from however many "sides" you believe there to be. Maybe when people check their attitudes and stop seeing things as Friendly X Users vs Enemy Y Users, they'll stop becoming so emotionally invested in the feuding. Until then, those that feel somehow damaged by the arguments are welcome to take a break.

Soap box? Is that a forum section on here? ah I didn't know that.

Nope I don't visit Digg

Windows, Apple, Linux zealots are just as bad as everyone else. You'll have one good story with all the Apple fans praising lord Steve Jobs. You'll have Microsoft news and all the MS fanboys are overjoyed. Then you'll have all the bad news where the opposite people will attack the news article in question where you rather have all the apple fan boys saying Windows sucks. All the Windows fan boys saying Apple suck. All the Linux fanboys calling Microsoft "M$". And so on, and it's the on every other board. It's not Neowin, it's just the users.

Neowin has a user article submit feature, maybe more apple users should submit more content if you want Neowin to cover more content? But unless you go to a Apple specific website/news site/message board, you'll always be out numbered by Windows users. At the end of the day, just deal with it. If you're not happy with the web site, talk to the admins about it or just leave (and no, I'm not opening the door for you hear, I just saying that the options are).

Neowin is a great community and have paid a subscription to help towards the costs of the server. That doesn't make me a MS fan boy, does it?

It seems like these threads appear every couple months since I started lurking and then posting here. Face it, it's a 90/10 split at the most generous metric of PC-Mac users and so you'll see a proportionate # of enthusiasts and sometimes passive-aggressive forum banter. I know it may seem different based on media and blog coverage but that's not reality. Also you can chalk it up to Windows 7's imminent release and pent up feelings over the last 4yrs of Apple continuously denigrating Windows users.

IMO, NeoWin is sort of a refuge from the madness. In my experience the tech MSM, blogs, cNet, ZD, Engadget and especially Gizmodo are usually infested with the most insufferable fanboys and editorial snark against Windows users.

If you're so concerned about Neowin, then go to a forum like Mac Rumors where all they do is worship Steve Jobs 24/7 and share nothing but their undying love for all things Apple.

The fact is simple, Apple fans hate it when Apple get criticised. Microsoft also do take a lot of flak on this forum it isn't just Apple.

The fact is simple, Apple fans hate it when Apple get criticised. Microsoft also do take a lot of flak on this forum it isn't just Apple.

I think most people accept criticism when its reasonable and not enter a news story just with the chance to put a boot in.

Also if we take an example

Also you can chalk it up to Windows 7's imminent release and pent up feelings over the last 4yrs of Apple continuously denigrating Windows users.

Yes, both sides can be blind, but this seems like it was all one way, the denigrating has being both ways.

Frankly, does it really matter? People who don't have a clue about what they're talking about will either be strongly pro-Apple or pro-Microsoft. People who know what they are talking about will now that each OS has its ups and downs, and neither is truly better than the other.

Shallow people are the ones who believe every word spoken in an Apple commercial, or think that all Mac users are gay and stubborn.

... it's called neowin for a reason...

:unsure:

Ummm.... Because it runs on... errr... Linux?

Why do people think that such a narrow point of view is somehow meaningful? Especially since it is wrong.

I don't see this site as a Windows site - it's more like a general tech site. The names Neowin because it stuck. The contents changed but the name hasn't.

You cannot be seriously saying that neowin ISN'T Microsoft-oriented and pro-MS... While I do not have problems with it, I notice it in the general topics concerning mac's (the mac forums not so much) and in the gamer section, where the vast majority of the user base is pro MS and not-so-pro Sony..

:) Well when MS has 90% of marketshare it's only natural that more people use it. It has nothing to do with Neowin being pro-MS (I actually things there is equally good amount of information about everything not just Windows). Quite the contrary, there's a lot more Sony fans here and to be perfectly honest all the bad reactions to Apple are caused by Apple's own smugness and douchebaggy campaigns packed with lies and mis-information. It has nothing to do with hatered but more principle side of things. Maybe if Apple stopped with campaigns where everything they do is portraited as "The Best Thing on Earth" and just continue innovating their own things, people wouldn't react so much, but unfortunately that's not the case and of course it causes rage in many people.

Frankly, does it really matter? People who don't have a clue about what they're talking about will either be strongly pro-Apple or pro-Microsoft. People who know what they are talking about will now that each OS has its ups and downs, and neither is truly better than the other.

Shallow people are the ones who believe every word spoken in an Apple commercial, or think that all Mac users are gay and stubborn.

If I ever see you, I owe you a beer.

I wish more people on this forum thought like you.

I think it should be a bookmark. The Mac area of the forums here are great, and there are always ppl (like giga) that are helpful and quick to answer