Neowin - Should it still be in a Mac users bookmarks?

Uh... How does that make me a Windows fanboy?

You know what would fix these forums? If the Windows boys didn't come here and post about how their sexual insecurity blooms every time someone doesn't use Windows.

As for the moderation - well it works if you happen to be defending Windows from Apple users. In that case you'll be sure to get smacked with +Warn - the other way around.. not so much. You don't have to be Sherlock to notice most of the front page articles are anti-Apple and usually the editors tend to take the "They're evil!" attitude when writing even some of the "positive" articles.

You know what would fix these forums? If the Windows boys didn't come here and post about how their sexual insecurity blooms every time someone doesn't use Windows.

As for the moderation - well it works if you happen to be defending Windows from Apple users. In that case you'll be sure to get smacked with +Warn - the other way around.. not so much. You don't have to be Sherlock to notice most of the front page articles are anti-Apple and usually the editors tend to take the "They're evil!" attitude when writing even some of the "positive" articles.

Well you can't control the masses.

You get the exact same responses on the big and popular Mac sites. Every other post is "Microsoft sucks," "Windows sucks," etc.

I usually read the front page articles and just don't comment. No point getting into OS wars, no matter which side you lean on.

Funny how some people refer to others as "fanboys" as if they're trying to offend them.

Then they complain about them (these fanboys) offending their product (the Mac).

I pretty much use nothing but Macs these days - and Neowin's certainly still in my bookmarks (in fact, if you checked my history, it's my top visited site by far, and pretty much the only forum I really post on).

I've also found that the Mac community here, albeit fairly small, is much nicer and more knowledgeable than the community on other Mac dedicated sites (for example, I once posted a question regarding Bootcamp on MacRumors, and was flooded with "OMG Why would you wanna use Windows on your mac" type responses, here, the chances are that it'd just be answered sensibly).

I pretty much use nothing but Macs these days - and Neowin's certainly still in my bookmarks (in fact, if you checked my history, it's my top visited site by far, and pretty much the only forum I really post on).

I've also found that the Mac community here, albeit fairly small, is much nicer and more knowledgeable than the community on other Mac dedicated sites (for example, I once posted a question regarding Bootcamp on MacRumors, and was flooded with "OMG Why would you wanna use Windows on your mac" type responses, here, the chances are that it'd just be answered sensibly).

Exactly. This is my point. The people here who are "concerned" that Neowin is pro-Windows should realize that there are plenty of diehard Apple fans on other sites. Neowin perhaps seems to be pro-Windows, but I really don't think it is. I think there is a good mix of Windows, Mac and Linux users here.

As some others have said i came here back when XP was in beta. Found the link from a post at 3dgpu when it was in its hay day. I have no problem with the users it is Apple's bashing of anything Microsoft. They (Apple) can't seem to let there products stand on there own merit without bashing Microsoft in the process. For me the turning point was when there commercials went from funny to a bashathone of Windows. The worst part is that OSX can stand on its own with Windows Vista or 7 without the need to put the competition down to do it something I thing Apple has forgot.

It's not a great place for Mac users outside of the Mac sub-forum. If you see Mac or Apple related posts elsewhere on this board you are almost guaranteed to get an Anti-Mac / Apple comment. Something like 'Macs suck' or 'Mac's who uses those?' things like that. They aren't personal comments they just make constructive discussion impossible because once flame bait like that begins someone else replies and then the original poster (or defenders of that poster) reply and eventually the thread completely derails in to Windows vs Mac or Apple vs Microsoft

I don't think it is the sites fault it has just been heavily geared up to cater towards Windows users. Regardless of the name of the website most of the forum is aimed towards Windows and/or PC's which are not made by Apple. And a high majority of the tech related posts here are also targeting PC's and/or Windows so it is no surprise that you are going to get people here that highly favour Windows and/or PC's and do not hold back in making their preference clear in Mac / Apple related topics.

It is just the same at the Macrumour forums if you went there and started bringing up Windows in a favourable light or a general discussion it is quite likely you will get Anti-Windows / Microsoft comments.

the mac users on here dont hesitate to bash windows..kinda like apples ads eh?

you're just mad because mac users are the minority, and get drowned out by the crowds of windows users

i think every site that tries to cover both types of news will have this problem

your best bet is to find an apple fanboy site to hide in the bubble that mac users like to hide in

im a windows/linux user and i love this site

but i dont come here to discuss windows or linux(i do..but its not my primary purpose)

i come here to find out about games, interesting topics, the weird and funny news u dont find on many other sites, conversation, just information in general

its a great site to kill boredom on

The thing is about Neowin is that the first page or so of posts are on-topic, the rest is just some random discussion completely off-topic.

This site was founded so that people can discuss the WINDOWS XP Beta.

Almost 9 years ago, yes. A lot of things have changed in the meantime. Neowin being one of them. It's much more than just a Windows enthusiasts community for several years now.

When I see the flamewars between the Windows fans on one side and Apple fans on the other I wonder why it is so difficult to tolerate each other's choice of computer/operating system.

But the second poster, that must be just allowed trolling, as the iphone is bought by all types as its a phone with the best interface and easy expandability, to want a phone that is easy to use is not something just wanted by Apple owners.

But that is just your opinion. If you are entitled to your opinion that the iPhone is the best, surely they are entitled to theirs that it sucks? The problem is too many apple fans dish criticism out at Windows, but when some gets dished back its called trolling.

Sadly, trying to discuss general Mac topics on here is difficult and has been totally ruined by a dedicated cabal of Microsoft fanboys. Neowin should remain in your bookmarks list but only if you're ready to bite your lip and try not to bite at some of the truely moronic crap that gets posted up in the comments sections of news items.

Although this isn't aimed at you, as you are amongst the more moderate of Apple users, the general attitude of Apple users to diss anything with the word Microsoft in has kind of incited the whole MS vs Apple war, Apple users have to take their share of the blame it is not all the fault of Windows users in all fairness.

But that is just your opinion. If you are entitled to your opinion that the iPhone is the best, surely they are entitled to theirs that it sucks? The problem is too many apple fans dish criticism out at Windows, but when some gets dished back its called trolling.

Although this isn't aimed at you, as you are amongst the more moderate of Apple users, the general attitude of Apple users to diss anything with the word Microsoft in has kind of incited the whole MS vs Apple war, Apple users have to take their share of the blame it is not all the fault of Windows users in all fairness.

Right, so the 2nd comment "I agree but what do you expect from delusional apple fanboys?" in regards to buying the iphone is a valid opinion comment? totally disregarding the fact that many of the buyers of iphone have never touched a mac in their life? Really? Plus I don't recall calling the iPhone the best.

As to the rest its simply laughable, you're saying its all the fault of Apple users, I read the front pagre and I'm sorry the bashing comments are way out of proportion in regards windows vs mac

It happens because there are people who will post something like:

your using windows get used to the bsods lol

no one can figure out how to use loonux

os x users are arrogant douches

Naturally people rush to correct what they feel is a gross misrepresentation and it is the temptation to append the rebuttal with "...and you're an idiot" that makes the fireworks happen.

Neowin quite obviously have a clear bias towards Wintel that lives through the history although staff may not want to see it that way, as they're working towards preventing it. Having said that, I still believe the staff is working hard to give Apple and Linux their good share of news. You won't find anything near the coverage of OS X Snow Leopard pre-releases akin to the Windows 7 updates on the builds -- this is for more dedicated Mac sites -- but the essentials are to be found here at least, and even juicy rumours.

I try to visit the news comment threads less these days though, as it's so frustrating to wade through the trolls that somehow keep managing to mess up talk of Snow Leopard features to be a bashfest about whether the Mac pricing is too high, or whatever strawman they come up with and want to "argue" about. Or the endless virus debates where the Wintel camp keep saying that "see? mac isn't invulnerable" when barely anyone has even claimed it, or vice versa about Apple fans arguing about Windows security sucking when it's not nearly as bad as in the 9x days and actually quite managable.

Anyway, I don't think that's a problem with the staff or anything not "curbing" these things enough. It's an inherent problem with trying to cover multiple platforms on one site though, but I think the staff is doing an adequate job on working towards NOT letting this sort of stuff go out of hand, at least.

Well, that's what I have to say about it anyway. :p

Let's not fool ourself and say Neowin being perfect. It has its strengths and weaknesses like any other website on these topics. I think Neowin is a good allround "one stop" for major Windows, Mac, and Linux news and rumors, excelling and going extra in depth particularly with Windows, and that's that.

You don't need to ask us. You can go ahead and bookmark this site in your bookmarks if you want. There is no hard feelings if you choose not to bookmark their site.. I am sure that Neowin do not mind that you bookmark or not. It's your decision to bookmark or not and no one is forcing you to bookmark it.

• Like 1

Stop speaking crap. People are entitled to their opinions and just because you are a Mac user and disagree with them doesn't mean Neowin is a bad website. Now get out of your reality distortion field and just accept that no website is perfect. If you want all goodie news about Apple etc, then goto a Apple web site or something.

Neowin is not Microsoft orientated, it's a news website for everyone, and I hate it when people generalise this place for being Pro-MS and Anti-Apple/Linux.

There is, however, a fine line between a robust discussion and outright lies which individuals post to inflame the situation. Take a look at this:

https://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/06/12/s...s-in-three-days

There is a fine line between, "I don't like Safari because the user interface is out of place" or "I find the stability not as great as Firefox" or even "the download size seems rather excessive when compared to the competition" versus some of the posts which are nothing short of lying simply to create a flame war.

At the end of the day, however, things on Neowin are no better or worse than on Arstechnica, Macrumors, Appleinsider or some other forum; some people are given anonymity and behave like adults whilst others see it as their opportunity to 'play the fool'.

pfft, i'd have to agree with the OP on this, Neowin lately has become a Soapie each thread you go to. Constantly going off topic and into the most random things ever, and when you simply convey the sitaution, a thousand idiots try to start something with you, and then drama hell breaks loose. :wacko: :o

honestly i read the articles i want, comment with caution or just simply ignore, people are so sensitive and eager to start a war over nothing :blink:

Edited by - Kaboose -

Right, so the 2nd comment "I agree but what do you expect from delusional apple fanboys?" in regards to buying the iphone is a valid opinion comment? totally disregarding the fact that many of the buyers of iphone have never touched a mac in their life? Really? Plus I don't recall calling the iPhone the best.

As to the rest its simply laughable, you're saying its all the fault of Apple users, I read the front pagre and I'm sorry the bashing comments are way out of proportion in regards windows vs mac

No, I am saying they are just as much to blame as the Windows users, across the Internet in general, not just Neowin. Whatever you get from Microsoft fans you get back twice as much from Apple fans, just ask some of our longer serving members about people like LTD.

And no I was referring to people that dislike the iPhone deserving their opinion just as much as those that like it, calling people fanboys contributes nothing to a discussion and that wasn't the part of his post I agreed with.

The people who think other people are fan boys and complain about other peoples comments are who the vast majority disagree withare fanboys themselves. People who complain that there's not enough of this or that on a general website are fanboys as well. If you like something so well that you need to inflict it to others you,then you are a fanboy.we all have some sort of fanboyisem in us. Like most of the people complaining here if you don't like his site then get the hell off and go to an more apple centric site were you would be labeled as a microsoft fan boy if you even point out any critism even if it is valid. Or an microsoft site you'll still see an apple post here and there saying that you wouldn't get an bsod on an mac. If your really complaining about this site being unfair against apple just leave because you won't get any fairer balance on the internet. The only places for you are the apple centric site were you'll get maimed and killed if you do nothing but praise steve and his company. But some people and places(like here) are fair and balanced like my friend he loves apple and has an new macbook and ipod touch but he also has an desktop with vista on it. He values both differences and doesn't bash people who likes one better than the other. There's some people who don't bash other people with different views than them just not on the internet. All in all complaining doesn't do anything just stop complaining and get off the site if you don't like it. /rant

Also I'm doing this on a phone so ignore all the composition errors

Well you can't control the masses.

You get the exact same responses on the big and popular Mac sites. Every other post is "Microsoft sucks," "Windows sucks," etc.

I usually read the front page articles and just don't comment. No point getting into OS wars, no matter which side you lean on.

Actually I think the problem is that you suffer from an inferiority complex and it has nothing to do with Apple or Microsoft.

By large, most Apple sites post their own news and don't attack Microsoft at all. Mostly, they simply couldn't care less about Microsoft - aha, that's what your problem is right? Because there are other communities that don't care about Microsoft - somehow that makes their members recalcitrant and the site's existence unimportant.

Also, where people do discuss Windows on the Mac platform - you will be surprised to read (see MacRumors.com) that no one spams their anti-Microsoft views in those sub-forums as Windows zealots do in the Neowin Mac sub-forums.

Anyway. That's my thoughts. Ban me, don't ban me - warn me or whatever. I have a right to share my thoughts, take it or leave it.

Actually I think the problem is that you suffer from an inferiority complex and it has nothing to do with Apple or Microsoft.

By large, most Apple sites post their own news and don't attack Microsoft at all. Mostly, they simply couldn't care less about Microsoft - aha, that's what your problem is right? Because there are other communities that don't care about Microsoft - somehow that makes their members recalcitrant and the site's existence unimportant.

Also, where people do discuss Windows on the Mac platform - you will be surprised to read (see MacRumors.com) that no one spams their anti-Microsoft views in those sub-forums as Windows zealots do in the Neowin Mac sub-forums.

Anyway. That's my thoughts. Ban me, don't ban me - warn me or whatever. I have a right to share my thoughts, take it or leave it.

my opinion is "you should get off of neowin if you don't like it, don't complain if you don't".

there are alot more sites out there with your views

Stop speaking crap. People are entitled to their opinions and just because you are a Mac user and disagree with them doesn't mean Neowin is a bad website. Now get out of your reality distortion field and just accept that no website is perfect. If you want all goodie news about Apple etc, then goto a Apple web site or something.

Neowin is not Microsoft orientated, it's a news website for everyone, and I hate it when people generalise this place for being Pro-MS and Anti-Apple/Linux.

is it just a coincidence, or is the website named neoWIN for a reason?