That's enough. Down with Opera!

You may have heard it in the news recently, Microsoft is currently the target of an antitrust lawsuit by the EU for bundling its Internet Explorer web browser as the default browser in Windows. That's right, they're being sued for including their own browser in their own operating system.

Who is behind all of this? Opera Software, makers of the Opera web browser. In December of 2007, Opera pushed the EU to open a case against Microsoft as Opera believed it to be anti-competitive for Microsoft to include its own browser as the default browser within their own OS.

For some unknown reason, instead of combating the lawsuit, Microsoft decided to settle, and on Thursday announced that they would no longer include Internet Explorer in versions of Windows 7 (Microsoft's next operating system) sold in Europe, and would leave it up to OEM builders to decide which browser to install.

Well, things took a turn for the worse today when Opera made a statement saying this was not enough, and have now pushed the EU to pursue with the antitrust case. Opera believes the only reasonable solution is for Microsoft to include a "ballot screen" for users to select which browser to use.

That's enough. And it's time we do something about it.

Today, we are proposing a complete boycott of all Opera software.

This is absolutely nothing more than a company, who can't legitimately gain market share, trying to squeeze their unpopular browser onto Windows systems. Opera is simply upset because their browser is dead last in market share, and has already been surpassed by the recently released Google Chrome browser and Apple's Safari browser for Windows.

Microsoft is entirely within their right to include Internet Explorer as the default browser within their own OS, just like Apple includes their own Safari as the default browser in Mac OS X, and just like Opera Software would be free to include Opera as the default browser in their own OS, should they ever make one.

No company should be forced to include a competitor's product within their own products. This is as ridiculous as suing Coca-Cola to include Pepsi in their cans and bottles, or suing Toyota to use engines manufactured by General Motors in their vehicles.

Please join in the boycott, and remove all Opera products from your computers and devices. Opera needs to learn that this is completely unacceptable, and since they refuse to listen to us, it's time they learn the hard way. If they're disappointed with their current market share, they ain't seen nothing yet.

Please consider these great alternatives to Opera Web Browser:

Use Opera on your mobile device? Here are some fantastic alternatives:

And most importantly, spread the word! Use whatever means necessary to get the word out there, Opera doesn't deserve your business. Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and share it on your favorite forums!

Boycott Opera!

<snip>

Edited by shockz

i agree... opera has ruined any credibility they may of had in the past. i'm all with boycotting opera.

*yawn* go away, troll

maybe you should practice what you preach opera boy ;)

i agree... opera has ruined any credibility they may of had in the past. i'm all with boycotting opera.

I agree. I used to be completely unbiased about Opera. Now I find them a despicable company; how lowly to sue your way to more market share in this way. I'd like to say I'm all for boycotting Opera, but I've never used it anyway. Maybe that says something..

I agree. I used to be completely unbiased about Opera. Now I find them a despicable company; how lowly to sue your way to more market share in this way.

and the counter argument would me microsoft themselves. Opera is just doing what microsoft has done a hundred times before. Poetic justice

I was actually gaining respect for Opera after the Wii browser (I even started using it part time on the PC and as my main mobile browser) Then they started their complaining and I dropped them.

I am sure others feel the same way that its not Microsoft thats causing missed market share for them its whinning like a 8 year old who is jealous over his friends new toy.

I don't use anything Opera now and don't expect to start anytime soon. However, you need to look at the bigger picture. Opera made the complaint but it was the EU who decided to pursue it. Google, Sun and many others have also added their names to the suit. Gonna boycott them as well? Anyway, MS has over reacted, in my opinion anyway, and has decided to force the issue and one up the EU instead of coming to a common sense solution that works for everyone. Why is it so hard for MS to simply work with others on equal terms?

But if it makes you feel better, boycott them. :)

I'd actually prefer it if they did what opera said and let you choose the browser on install, just removing ie is stupid.

This would result in even more issues. How do you decide what browsers to include? What happens when a huge security risk is uncovered in one of the bundled browsers, and it's out of date because bad practices by users that don't know any better?

I fail to see how this is a problem when OS X is bundled with Safari and there are many GNU/Linux distributions bundled with their preferred browsers. This really shouldn't get anywhere, Microsoft has done nothing wrong. It's just a sad, sad attempt to gain market share by the Opera team.

And yet people forget the fact that Google (Chrome) and Mozilla (Firefox) also backed the EU case in the beginning, and probably will back this as well.

A ballot screen is a good idea, have Trident there (since it is required for other stuff) and just use that to load up a page with download links for the other major browsers. The difficult part is defining what a "major" browser would be. Obviously things like IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera would be listed, but so should others. So it really depends.

The OS is Microsofts...its there product. Why shouldn't they include there browser? It is after all, there product.

Dont like it? Use a different OS. Same goes for every other product in the world, you buy shoes dont you? You will most likely use the same shoe laces that the shoes came with...if you choose not to, you can buy different shoe laces.

*yawn* go away, troll

:rofl:

---

ballot screen would be more confusing for people new to PC's...

all they would want to do is connect to internet, do their work.

not, connect to internet- select a browser - let it d/l, then install, then work. :hmmm:

it would be better if all the four major browsers are pre-installed. the user can uninstall the ones they dont use much.

(total install size would be ~100MB, not much of space taken)

i use opera, but sometimes i need IE8 :p

Actually, I was thinking exactly that today. I used to be a big opera fan, but I find their attitude pretty arrogant and stupid. On Windows, I'm happy with Chrome and IE8, however, I use Ubuntu quite a bit and can't stand Firefox, so Opera is pretty much my only decent resort there.

Opera is being a hero doing what the others wish they had the balls to do but didn't, so all they can do is to get behind Opera and support them, (which at least is a good thing anyway).

Microsoft should stop whining and moaning about this.

There are laws against effective monopolies in other areas of business, but it's taking the legislatures of the world a long time to get educated about the computer era and it's history and issues.

That state of ignorance has for too long operated to Microsoft's unique advantage.

Perhaps this will be a step towards more power to the computer user rather than the Mega-Corporation.

I wonder if all the people (all 1 of it) behind it realize Mozilla and Google were part of the suit.

Better stop using Firefox and Google as well then, eh?

I read an article somewhere (maybe CNet?)that said that this might actually benefit Microsoft more than any one else in the long run. Since Microsoft has agreements with the OEMs, these people will end up putting IE on there anyway. It just won't be Microsoft doing it and they can claim innocence. To me that makes a lot of sense.

Mozilla and Google were part of the suit.

They aren't. Mozilla didn't get involved until the EC had found against MSFT, and only then, Mozilla was just advising/consulting. Not sure whether Google joined the suit or not or what their role in this is (I don't follow them as closely).

Edit: Both Google and Mozilla joined in late February of this year. The EC found against MSFT in January. So they are involved, but not directly; they jumped in mostly so that they would have a voice in the formulation of the remedy.

Edit2: While Google seemed to have formally filed to join the case (per Google's policy blog), the language used by Mozilla's chairwoman seems to suggest that they are acting more as an observer.

Edited by kliu0x52

I wonder if all the people (all 1 of it) behind it realize Mozilla and Google were part of the suit.

Better stop using Firefox and Google as well then, eh?

yep! them too :)

So they are involved, but not directly; they jumped in mostly so that they would have a voice in the formulation of the remedy.

There is no concept of indirect involvement in a legal suit. Either you're part of it or you aren't.

There is no concept of indirect involvement in a legal suit. Either you're part of it or you aren't.

Erm, this is not a legal suit filed in the court system. This is a complaint filed with a regulatory body (the EC).

* Opera files complaint in late 2007 with the EC (a regulatory body, not a court).

* In January 2009, the EC finds against MSFT and things enter the remedy phase.

* In early February, Mozilla announces that it wishes to participate in the remedy "discussions" and to "offer Mozilla's expertise as a resource to the EC".

* In late February, Google files with the EC to join as a third party in the proceedings.

It's not clear if the EC has accepted Google's filing or if it is paying attention to Mozilla. Both are expressing an interest to be a part of the remedy discussions, but there is no public indication that they actually are (or that Opera even has a role in the remedy proceedings). Mozilla's chairwoman wrote, "The EC has been looking at this case December of 2007 when Opera filed its complaint. The EC has made its decision to move forward without Mozilla involvement and it seems wildly speculative to me to think the EC depends on Mozilla."

*Wishes this topic read "That's enough. Down with Oprah!"* (Seriously, she's evil.)

:rofl:

....hey, that'd make a good poll... :p