Over the air HD versus Over the air digital

Silly question

But Ive got an HDTV that picks up over the air HD stations which I use daily.

Now today, I went a setup of one of the new DTV boxes at my grandparents place, the have a standard def TV.

My question is. We are both picking up the same digital stations it seems, and according to the info screen on the DTV box my grandparents are receiving 1080i to their TV. However its only and Standard Def TV.

Does this mean the broadcasters are only sending out a HD signal and its just down scaled for SDTVs?

If I'm understanding you correctly, the television set does not support HDTV resolutions (ie: the tv operates at a lower resolution). So the television down scales the image.

yes the Standard Def TV is the one with the DTV converter box, but its showing that its picking up a 1080i signal. Im just wondering if the converter box is downscaling the image to 480p? Just wondering because the picture looks really good infact its just as good as my HDTV

yes the Standard Def TV is the one with the DTV converter box, but its showing that its picking up a 1080i signal. Im just wondering if the converter box is downscaling the image to 480p? Just wondering because the picture looks really good infact its just as good as my HDTV

Yes, most stations are only broadcasting OTA exclusively in HD. So, your converter box is downconverting the image for your SDTV.

Since it's a SDTV the converter box is downscaling it to 480i, unless it's a LCD SDTV. The picture looks good because there's no analog noise in the picture.

Yes, most stations are only broadcasting OTA exclusively in HD. So, your converter box is downconverting the image for your SDTV.

That's not true at all. Just about every local channel has a digital and HD feed over the air.

Since it's a SDTV the converter box is downscaling it to 480i, unless it's a LCD SDTV. The picture looks good because there's no analog noise in the picture.

It's possible their tv is an EDTV, which technically is not HD, but can take a 1080i signal. It doesn't have the be an "LCD SDTV." There are many CRT EDTVs...

That's not true at all. Just about every local channel has a digital and HD feed over the air.

Maybe in your area, but not mine. CBS, NBC, ABC, and CW are all exclusively HD. At least, in my area, they are. I'm in New York City, BTW.

Edited by xraffle

Maybe in your area, but not mine. CBS, NBC, ABC, and CW are all exclusively HD. At least, in my area, they are. I'm in New York City, BTW.

Sorry, but it's not just my area. A digital feed is required for local channels...

If you aren't getting them then you have something set up wrong, or you are out of the range of the signal.

The following OTA DTV channel list is for the New York City, New York Metro area:

2.1 WCBS-DT CBS

4.1 WNBC-DT NBC

4.2 WNBC-DT2 NBC 2

4.4 WNBC-DT4 NBC SPORTS

5.1 WNYW-DT Fox

5.2 WWOR-DT1 Fox

7.1 WABC-DT ABC

7.2 WABC-DT2 ABC 2

7.3 WABC-DT3 ABC 3

9.1 WWOR-DT1 MNT

9.2 WNYW-DT1 MNT

11.1 WPIX-DT CW

13.1 WNET-DT PBS

13.2 WNET-DT2 PBS 2

13.3 WNET-DT3 PBS 3

25.1 NYC TV NYC

25.2 CDL NYC

31.1 WPXN-DT ION

31.2 Qubo

31.3 ION Life

31.4 Worship

41.1 WXTV-DT UNI

68.1 WFUT-DT TFA

but that is completely off topic here... so that's all i'm saying about it.

Stevo: All the channels are the HD feeds. The sub channels just have different content on them. My grandmother has the converter boxes and all of her channels displays the HD logo when the broadcaster is showing one (like NBC).

Stevo: All the channels are the HD feeds. The sub channels just have different content on them. My grandmother has the converter boxes and all of her channels displays the HD logo when the broadcaster is showing one (like NBC).

I know the sub channels have different content. It's the same here. We have both digital and hd of everything though. And other places I have been were the same. NY might be set up slightly different than other places due to the extreme population or something, but he shouldn't assume that because his area only had HD that all places are like that.

The following OTA DTV channel list is for the New York City, New York Metro area:

2.1 WCBS-DT CBS

4.1 WNBC-DT NBC

4.2 WNBC-DT2 NBC 2

4.4 WNBC-DT4 NBC SPORTS

5.1 WNYW-DT Fox

5.2 WWOR-DT1 Fox

7.1 WABC-DT ABC

7.2 WABC-DT2 ABC 2

7.3 WABC-DT3 ABC 3

9.1 WWOR-DT1 MNT

9.2 WNYW-DT1 MNT

11.1 WPIX-DT CW

13.1 WNET-DT PBS

13.2 WNET-DT2 PBS 2

13.3 WNET-DT3 PBS 3

25.1 NYC TV NYC

25.2 CDL NYC

31.1 WPXN-DT ION

31.2 Qubo

31.3 ION Life

31.4 Worship

41.1 WXTV-DT UNI

68.1 WFUT-DT TFA

Correct! The ones I bolded are the channels, but those are HD. Where are the SD ones? DT2 and DT3 channels are not SD versions, but are sub channels, like what bangbang said. I think NBC DT2 is NBC Weather or something like that. Same with ABC. And notice there's only ONE CBS and CW channel. Those are HD. No SD channels are available OTA.

Correct! The ones I bolded are the channels, but those are HD. Where are the SD ones? DT2 and DT3 channels are not SD versions, but are sub channels, like what bangbang said. I think NBC DT2 is NBC Weather or something like that. Same with ABC. And notice there's only ONE CBS and CW channel. Those are HD. No SD channels are available OTA.

Yes, I know, we've already all agreed to that. lol I was under the assumption that when the transition happened the regular numbers such as 2, 4, etc, were replaced with the digital feed. And the 2.x, 4.x were the HD and sub channels.

I guess you do only get the HD feed, which seems strange to me, but whatever. I don't live in NY, doesn't effect me. But you need to watch how you word things on the forums. Without actually knowing, you are telling him that HD is all that is available, which isn't true everywhere...

You mislead people with the way you post.

Like I said, this is totally off topic.

They dont send out 2 feeds for the same channel, its an HD feed. It just depends if your tv/box can handle it. If you have one of those $40 boxes then it most likely wont support HD and im guessing just outputs 480p.

They dont send out 2 feeds for the same channel, its an HD feed. It just depends if your tv/box can handle it. If you have one of those $40 boxes then it most likely wont support HD and im guessing just outputs 480p.

Wow! Now I'm all confused.

Anyways, sorry for my misleading statement earlier.