What's Up With This ... ?

I thought we went Digital June 12th, :huh: but ...

post-37120-1244992038_thumb.jpg

I did an automatic channel scan today to see if after the Digital switchover, there were any new TV channels.

My Philips HDTV receives both analog & digital signals, of course.

So why is the TV detecting analog -- 71 channels ???

Very odd.

that date is when they have to provide the channels there is not actual law stating they have to get rid of the old ones simply that they have to provide all channels in digital. the whole this was a giant screw up from the beginning because of lack of information.

I could very well be mistaken....but I thought the only thing that would change (and the only people that would be directly affected) were those with rabbit ear antennaes...and that analog signal would still be broadcasted, just not OTA to those with antennaes...

that date is when they have to provide the channels there is not actual law stating they have to get rid of the old ones simply that they have to provide all channels in digital. the whole this was a giant screw up from the beginning because of lack of information.

no? The stations will not be able to renew their FCC license of the specturm...verizon bought the 700mhz spectrum so TV stations have to stop using it

Cable companies have till 2012 to go all digital I think. The June 12th deadline only applied to OTA.

I didn't know Cable companies have an analog deadline as well. I always thought they can use analog for as long as they want. This is interesting to know.

Given the number of channels, I'd say you're feeding off of a cable line and not OTA. Cable companies still have analog signals and are allowed to since their not using wireless spectrum needed elsewhere. Good cable companies have begun to phase out analog signals completely, though, to free up bandwidth for HD channels.

Yes, I am receiving thru Comcast cable.

There are a few 'new' channels, and in HD.

But I noticed some channels have disappeared. :huh:

Yes, I am receiving thru Comcast cable.

There are a few 'new' channels, and in HD.

But I noticed some channels have disappeared. :huh:

That's probably their own channel lineup editing. I've gained and lost channels like mad with Cablevision in recent months.

Umm, you can still have low-powered analog signals. It is the full-powered analog signals that had to be taken off and switched to digital.

Channels like FOX, CNN, etc were full-powered, simple local tv channels are not full-powered. Why your TV found 12 is beyond me, I think I have only 1 (if I scanned) and it would be a Rogers channel, but it is most likely digital too...

Umm, you can still have low-powered analog signals. It is the full-powered analog signals that had to be taken off and switched to digital.

Channels like FOX, CNN, etc were full-powered, simple local tv channels are not full-powered. Why your TV found 12 is beyond me, I think I have only 1 (if I scanned) and it would be a Rogers channel, but it is most likely digital too...

Again, he's using cable so the cutoff doesn't apply to his signal source.

Again, he's using cable so the cutoff doesn't apply to his signal source.

Oh, I didn't see he was using Cable.. that would explain everything.. Only ye'old rabbit ears antennas are disabled

I didn't know Cable companies have an analog deadline as well. I always thought they can use analog for as long as they want. This is interesting to know.

huh? is it?

people still use rabbit ears for analog signal?

I dont think so, pretty sure all OTA signals are now digital ... hence the reason for needing the digital converter boxes if you are using rabbit ears.

Rabbit ears are terrible with OTA digital signals. I used to get pretty good analog signal, but with digital, I get drop-outs every now and then. I'll have to find an amplified antenna to see how that works.

I have an HDTV in my bedroom with a digital tuner hooked up to my cable. I will have to rescan to see if anything has changed since the switchover. I agree with others though, Rabbit Ears don't really do any justice to the reception unless you are in a clear area w/o obstructions. Digital is too picky...one mm to the left or right and no signal. (at least in my mountainous area)