• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Blu-ray gets Managed Copy next year, requires new hardware

Boz    1,324

Unfortunately this is what I didn't like about Blu-ray and the facts that it was a messy format. I have 3 BLu-ray players now and as a consumer I'm freakin' furious that I'll have to buy them all over again and 3 years into the format is not EARLY adopter especially since everyone was talking about Blu-ray players being final. :no:

If you want to make backups of your Blu-ray discs via Managed Copy licensing that's coming, your existing Blu-ray players won't work.

And in case you didn't know.. Managed Copy is not like extras on a disc so you don't really need it. Managed Copy is the most important factor over DVD. It allows you legally to make a copy of your Blu-ray movie so if something happens to your disc you have a copy to watch.

Parsons couldn't say if Pioneer would add managed copy capabilities to its players.

He said he hasn't heard of any hardware manufacturers including managed copy features in players on the market now or those that have been announced. It's unlikely that the feature could be added to players already on the market.

"It doesn't seem likely as a firmware upgrade because the specs weren't done," he said. "Hardware guys don't like building stuff that might not be done."

Sadly this was all mandatory and possible on HD DVD. C'est la vie I guess. A better format doesn't always win.

Andrew Lyle    336

That sucks. But how often will you use this managed copy anyways?

Boz    1,324
That sucks. But how often will you use this managed copy anyways?

Well, you don't use Managed Copy often.. It's just one of those things you have to have, for it to work on the player, so you can in case you give your movie to someone, or it gets screwed up, you can watch your copy. It's not something you use every day but it's a crucial feature cause it protects you. MC should've been there from the start. It really sucks they are doing this.

Vice    1,593

To be honest with this Managed Copy thing being DRM infested and allowing the Content providers to lock your 'Copy' and sell you related content or extra copies I see this thing as something I would never ever use. I own two Bluray players but I'd never use Managed copy so for me its a none issue. If I want a copy of my Blurays I will rip them with PC Software in to my chosen formats clean of DRM and I feel as a consumer that is my right, I own the Disc, I own the 1's and 0's burned on to it and I should be able to back those up however I want in whichever Format I want and I should be able to transcode them for other devices I own. So again Managed Copy = No benefit to me at all.

DaDude    46
To be honest with this Managed Copy thing being DRM infested and allowing the Content providers to lock your 'Copy' and sell you related content or extra copies I see this thing as something I would never ever use. I own two Bluray players but I'd never use Managed copy so for me its a none issue. If I want a copy of my Blurays I will rip them with PC Software in to my chosen formats clean of DRM and I feel as a consumer that is my right, I own the Disc, I own the 1's and 0's burned on to it and I should be able to back those up however I want in whichever Format I want and I should be able to transcode them for other devices I own. So again Managed Copy = No benefit to me at all.

+1

+Audioboxer    2,876

Pretty much spot on :laugh:

Who gives a toss about managed copy when you can just rip a 1:1 copy, remove DRM and back it up onto your own Blu Ray.

I'm not in a position to need to backup anything though, I don't need to share anything I buy and I look after everything with complete care from day 1 to day 9999999. Never broke/ruined any CD/DVD/Blu Ray I have bought or have had bought for me over the last 5-10 years.

Raa    1,565

HAHAHAHA!!

This is EXACTLY one of the reasons I opted not to ever purchase a commercial BR player and instead built a media center computer for mum's lounge.

She asked "Theres some new format coming, will it work? Oh wait, yes it will, you're so smart you planned ahead didn't you!"

That was cute. She was right though.

Seriously, a locked down player? Bugger that. I'll just swap the BR drives out of my pc and the media center with new ones when they land. Only cost me AUD 120 each anyway. :)

Ahh, planning ahead. Love it!

Azusa    930

So is it hard or software thing?

Guest MGS3_GrayFox   

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that Managed Copy is overrated.

There are far better methods to backup your BluRay discs.

Sigmatic.Minor    20

See? I KNEW that naggy little voice inside my head saying "dont buy a blu-ray drive yet" was right!

formatfail

Reimroc    0

The managed copy will probably be SD anyways. :p

DaDude    46

Taken right from Blu-ray.com

Soon, the vast majority of BDs will support Managed Copy, but studios will be able to charge for it, and new players will be needed (update: except possibly the PS3).

Why the heck is the PS3 always an exception?

Azusa    930

could be good news for me then.

+Audioboxer    2,876

Because it has 128mb of flash memory available for updates and hard drive space for further additions to firmware exceeding the size of the flash space.

One of the main reasons everyone told you to buy a PS3 as a Blu Ray player was how future proof it was, not to mention the value argument before Blu Ray players dropped in price.

+virtorio    3,163

Not really a big problem for me, wouldn't use it anyway. Is a shame they couldn't have got the spec done from the start though.

Reimroc    0

Anyone remember the format wars?

lol, those were fun. :D

Boz    1,324
Pretty much spot on :laugh:

Who gives a toss about managed copy when you can just rip a 1:1 copy, remove DRM and back it up onto your own Blu Ray.

I'm not in a position to need to backup anything though, I don't need to share anything I buy and I look after everything with complete care from day 1 to day 9999999. Never broke/ruined any CD/DVD/Blu Ray I have bought or have had bought for me over the last 5-10 years.

Which is illegal. Most people don't want to do illegal things and ripping. I know I'm just getting too old now and want things to work properly and make legal copies which is why Managed Copy was a thing I was looking for.

The advantage with managed copy is that there will be legal solutions and supported by numerous apps that will simplify this process as it is legal. Unfortunately I will not be able to play backups because I'll have to buy new players.

Because it's in essence a PC. Though it's still uncertain whether it will support it and if you do, you'd probably have to rip the whole BD movie on your PS3 (which is like 30-50 gb).

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that Managed Copy is overrated.

There are far better methods to backup your BluRay discs.

Legal ones? Like what?

+Audioboxer    2,876
Which is illegal. Most people don't want to do illegal things and ripping. I know I'm just getting too old now and want things to work properly and make legal copies which is why Managed Copy was a thing I was looking for.

The advantage with managed copy is that there will be legal solutions and supported by numerous apps that will simplify this process as it is legal. Unfortunately I will not be able to play backups because I'll have to buy new players.

You've got to be having a laugh with a comment like that...

And anyway, most people in the gaming section "educated" me the other week that you're allowed to make a copy of disc you own, at least in some countries.

Guest MGS3_GrayFox   
Legal ones? Like what?

Nitpicking? Alternative methods exist, you use them if you want.

Reimroc    0

Besides, it's not like you are torrenting it.

All the cool kids are doing it. :shifty:

Xerxes    229
Unfortunately this is what I didn't like about Blu-ray and the facts that it was a messy format. I have 3 BLu-ray players now and as a consumer I'm freakin' furious that I'll have to buy them all over again and 3 years into the format is not EARLY adopter especially since everyone was talking about Blu-ray players being final. :no:

If you want to make backups of your Blu-ray discs via Managed Copy licensing that's coming, your existing Blu-ray players won't work.

And in case you didn't know.. Managed Copy is not like extras on a disc so you don't really need it. Managed Copy is the most important factor over DVD. It allows you legally to make a copy of your Blu-ray movie so if something happens to your disc you have a copy to watch.

Sadly this was all mandatory and possible on HD DVD. C'est la vie I guess. A better format doesn't always win.

The "better" format did win, by better I mean better for the motion picture industry. Consumers have little real choice when it comes to things like that, we just use what we are told to and "choice" is purely an illusion. HD-DVD didn't stand a chance becuase most of the studios supported Blu-Ray from word go which in turn pushed more consumers to Blu-Ray. For the record I was a HD-DVD supporter and everytime something like this happens I just think, you wouldn't need to put up with this crap is HD-DVD won...That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

Boz    1,324
Nitpicking? Alternative methods exist, you use them if you want.

How is wanting to legally backup your copies nitpicking. I know about Slysoft software and I've tried it out but you have to understand that legal is still going to allow and open up much better integration. There will be software that will work one button backups and similar things. Most people also don't have the know how to even use these illegal apps.

In any case, this blows. It just reminds me why I supported the other format. That stuff was all planned and just waiting for AACS license without need to rebuy anything. It was mandatory in HD DVD specs.

Urgh.

DaDude    46
The "better" format did win, by better I mean better for the motion picture industry. Consumers have little real choice when it comes to things like that, we just use what we are told to and "choice" is purely an illusion. HD-DVD didn't stand a chance becuase most of the studios supported Blu-Ray from word go which in turn pushed more consumers to Blu-Ray. For the record I was a HD-DVD supporter and everytime something like this happens I just think, you wouldn't need to put up with this crap is HD-DVD won...That is my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt.

Not true. Most consumers were buying Blu-ray over HD-DVD. That's how it won.

Yusuf M.    1,362

+Boz: That's exactly what I thought when I read the article. HD DVD had support for managed copy and Blu-ray is only getting it now after HP requested it (see here). What's worse is that current Blu-ray Disc players won't have the feature. It's a shame that HD DVD lost the HD optical disc format wars.

Boz    1,324
Not true. Most consumers were buying Blu-ray over HD-DVD. That's how it won.

Which doesn't make it a better format. It just means that PS3 and specific types of movies and 2 for 1 sales worked better. Plus it didn't hurt that Sony owned like 30-40% of studios plus covered replication costs for those who joined them.